Tomes of Stat Upping: Is there a max?

Xath

Moder-gator
For the Tomes of Understanding and the like, is there a maximum number of stat boosts per stat? I've heard multiple things from multiple GM's from "There is no limit" to "You can only read one +1, one +2, one +3...per stat" to "You can only ever read one tome per stat." Is there an official rule for this?

frankthedm

First Post
+6 +5 is the greatest non epic inherant bonus can be. i don't evem know if that limit can be breached in epic.

The Bigger limiting factor is those book bonuses OVERLAP. The do not stack.

To get wishes [prime source of inherant bonuses] to stack, they have to be cast one right after the other.

Last edited:

Kurotowa

Legend
If I have my RAW Fu right...

The Tomes grant an inherent bonus, not an untyped bonus. Therefore if you use two books of the same ability you only gain the bonus of the better book. Thus the max bonus is +5, unless you find an epic level book. There is no restriction against using Tomes of multiple abilities and gaining a benefit to all of them.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
frankthedm said:
+6 is the greatest non epic inherant bonus can be. i don't evem knowif that limit can be breached in epic.

I think you can only get up to a +5 Inherent bonus:

SRD said:
Grant a creature a +1 inherent bonus to an ability score. Two to five wish spells cast in immediate succession can grant a creature a +2 to +5 inherent bonus to an ability score (two wishes for a +2 inherent bonus, three for a +3 inherent bonus, and so on). Inherent bonuses are instantaneous, so they cannot be dispelled. Note: An inherent bonus may not exceed +5 for a single ability score, and inherent bonuses to a particular ability score do not stack, so only the best one applies.

Cheers, -- N

Kmart Kommando

First Post
inherent bonuses, which the Wish or Miracle spell and the books (made with wish or miracle) give, maxxes out at +5. Also, different levels of inherent bonus to the same stat don't stack, so if you read a +1 book and later read a +3 book, all you get is the +3.

frankthedm

First Post
Nifft said:
I think you can only get up to a +5 Inherent bonus:
Thanks, i keep messing that one up. Other than aging and damage/drain most ability ajdustments don't come in odd numbers so that throws me off a touch.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
frankthedm said:
Thanks, i keep messing that one up. Other than aging and damage/drain most ability ajdustments don't come in odd numbers so that throws me off a touch.

From levels 4,8,12,16 and 20, you could get +5 to a stat via level bumps over your career. I think that's what the inherent bonus is meant to match up with. ;)

Cheers, -- N

javcs

First Post
This sort of thing sets my mental gears turning on just what kind of Spellcraft DC it would be for an epic spell version of the stat boosting aspects of wish (miracle technically doesn't say that you can stat boost, but neither does it exclude it, I permit it) that either breaks the +5 barrier or, bane of DM's everywhere, provides either an unnamed increase or a bizarre/unusual one such as luck, sacred, profane, or provides options on such things.

The funny thing is that profane and sacred bonuses stack (by RAW) . . . go figure.

Neijin

First Post
Javcs: Here is how you break the non-epic limit.

I cut and pasted the fortify seed for you from the SRD. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/seeds/fortify.htm

Seed: Fortify
Transmutation
Spellcraft DC: 17 (see text)
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 20 hours; permanent for age adjustment
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Spells using the fortify seed grant a +1 enhancement bonus to whichever one of the following the caster chooses:

* Any one ability score.
* Any one kind of saving throw.
* Spell resistance.
* Natural armor.

The fortify seed can also grant energy resistance 1 for one energy type or 1 temporary hit point. For each additional +1 bonus, point of energy resistance, or hit point, increase the Spellcraft DC by +2.

The fortify seed has a base Spellcraft DC of 23 if it grants a +1 bonus of a type other than enhancement. For each additional +1 of the bonus, increase the Spellcraft DC by +6. If you apply a factor to make the duration permanent, the bonus must be an inherent bonus, and the maximum inherent bonus allowed is +5.

The fortify seed has a base Spellcraft DC of 27 if it grants a creature a +1 bonus to an ability score or other statistic it does not possess. For each additional +1 bonus, increase the Spellcraft DC by +4. If a spell with the fortify seed grants an inanimate object an ability score it would not normally possess (such as Intelligence), the spell must also incorporate the life seed.

Granting spell resistance to a creature that doesn’t already have it is a special case; the base Spellcraft DC of 27 grants spell resistance 25, and each additional point of spell resistance increases the Spellcraft DC by +4 (each -1 to spell resistance reduces the Spellcraft DC by -2).

The fortify seed can also grant damage reduction 1/magic. For each additional point of damage reduction, increase the Spellcraft DC by +2. To increase the damage reduction value to epic, increase the Spellcraft DC by +15.

A special use of the fortify seed grants the target a permanent +1 year to its current age category. For each additional +1 year added to the creature’s current age category, increase the Spellcraft DC by +2. Incremental adjustments to a creature’s maximum age do not stack; they overlap. When a spell increases a creature’s current age category, all higher age categories are also adjusted accordingly.

Remove ads