D&D General Tony Diterlizzi appreciation thread

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I have always loved his brownie in the Monstrous Compendium, so much so that when I had him sign my 3E PHB at GEN CON in 2000, I asked him to draw the brownie.

TD: You know, none of my art is in this book.
Me: Well, now it will be - plus it is all I have with me for you to sign. Thanks!

244160396_653711342700595_769469147690446510_n.jpg
244261692_234411061886417_1654202519023518517_n.jpg

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
A lot of his other work is also great inspiration for DnD. Spiderwick Chronicles and the Spiderwick field guide (been meaning to actually buy this one) are brilliant, I sometimes jump onto his website to look through what else he's done, so many cool images to look through. I've also got his book Realms which looks at his artwork for DnD.

My favorite of his work was just what he contributed to the 2E Monstrous Manual, because it showed how his style CAN BE a part of generic D&D, b/c it is capacious enough for a bunch of styles - some monsters just looked better when he drew them
I was going to say exactly the same. His remorhaz, his grig, his salamander, wereboar, death kiss, thri-kreen, kraken, ogre mage … it’s delicate and intricate work, but it really drips personality. The work he did for planescape really suited Sigil (if arguably not so much the rest of the planes) but it’s the MM work I found most evocative, and it’s very different in style to the planescape stuff.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I did, because Frank Frazetta was being unjustly targeted.

I wont claim to make sense but as Cuthbert is noted to have said.

“Yes, retribution is the basis of all law.” ;)

not by me! I was the one who suggested Frazetta be on the thread to begin with

this is why we can't have nice things
😿
I love Frazetta's work, but I didn't upvote him in the D&D artists thread because I don't really associate him with D&D. Of course, if I were to run a very sword & sorcery leaning D&D game, his stuff would be strongly featured on my inspiration board for that game.

Remove ads