• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Too Many Casters?

Alan Shutko

Explorer
A lot of it depends on the kind of campaign you're running.

On my back burner is a BECMI Wizard Academy campaign where EVERYONE is a wizard, no ifs ands or buts. It will work, because everything in the campaign will be crafted with a casting party as the core assumption.

If you're making up your own campaign, you can easily do the same, and make sure that the game works and that they have a challenge, but aren't doomed.

If you're playing a prewritten module like an Adventure Path, you need to be more careful, since you have to make sure that there's nothing that will wipe them out without a chance, but that still shouldn't be that hard. If three sessions consist of a mega-melee in the middle of an anti-magic zone, you might want to tweak it a bit....

I'd say it comes down to trust. Make the commitment to the party that you will ensure that they have a decent chance at success, and don't need to mega-optimize if they don't want to.

The most powerful party I ever played in was in a 3.5 campaign and the party members were a Wizard (summoner), a Cleric(healer/buffer) and a Beguiler(enchanter).

Casters are generally tougher than non casters, so (generally speaking) the more the better.

Here's a more objective point: non casters are not required for an effective party, casters are.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
Also the comment about APG classes... I don't believe a word of it. I think by Advanced Player's Guide it's referring to more options for the players who want more options. 'Advanced' options that aren't available in the core book. I don't think the classes themselves are advanced, just less obvious archetypes. Nothing about Cavalier is more advanced than a druid or even a paladin.

Yeah, I agree with that actually. I just didn't really want to get into that discussion in this topic.

Casters are generally tougher than non casters, so (generally speaking) the more the better.

But at 1st level they also die from one good roll by an enemy a lot easier than most non-casters do. Since she's the arcane one and the most possessed of low HP and AC in the party I'd be willing to bet that's a big part of her worry.

I'd say that mostly based on my experience playing with her in other groups in the past. I think she gets a little too attached to her characters, and isn't going to be the type to handle the death of their PC well. I don't expect to give them anything that'll be too hard for them, but bad luck can still happen. PCs can die.

SlyDoubt

First Post
Sounds like it's also up to the other players to let her know they've got her back because it seems like she doesn't think they do.

Your group sounds really fun though, cool mix of stuff. I'm kicking off Carrion Crown next month with a group of vets and a noobie or two. Everyone so far is a class from either Ultimate Combat or APG. I am excited to see what they do.

Good luck with your group/game.

Dionysos

Explorer
1)Explain to her that the game is run by a human being rather than a computer, and therefore challenges will be tailored to the specific capabilities of the group.

2) There is nothing wrong with that group composition. It isn't A+, #1, super-optimized by any means, but it is far from weak. If the party was composed of two rogues, a bard and an elven barbarian, maybe there would be something to worry about. Even then, refer to point 1 above.

And this whole "APG classes are underpowered" thing is ridiculous. None of them are as powerful as a cleric, wizard or druid, sure. But then, what is? I'll put a witch up against a sorcerer or bard any day.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
And this whole "APG classes are underpowered" thing is ridiculous. None of them are as powerful as a cleric, wizard or druid, sure. But then, what is? I'll put a witch up against a sorcerer or bard any day.

I didn't say they were underpowered (per se), I said they were a 'challenge to play'. In some cases there is more complexity, in some cases they aren't as strong as some of the Core classes. For example, while an Oracle can be optimized, it is generally less powered than a typical cleric. But in the right situation any class can shine and be a strong member of an adventuring party.

Of course, I've never met anyone in person who ever played a bard, let alone a strong bard... :p

Remove ads