Too much Cthulhu and Dread have come back to bite me

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Why do all my conversations come back to cannibalism?

In a related note, it's smoker season! I have a 10 lb practice pork butt in the fridge, and we're doing 3 BBQ competitions this summer.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
So, I was raised on a strict diet of Steven King, HP Lovecraft, and lots of really crappy horror novels. Call of Cthulhu gradually taught me how to scare people in a game, and I finally got good at it with Dread. I love horror; I'm far from obsessed with it, but I'm decent at it, and it resonates with me.

This has come back to bite me. Here in Boston I'm taking a storytelling class right now from the inimitable Laura Packer. It's great -- 7 sessions, reasonably priced, and it's making my brain work in new ways as I burnish the things I don't have quite right. Problem is, we tell stories in class. Second week was personal stories; I told about something that had some suspense. Third week was fairy tales; I told "The Robber Bridegroom" from Grimm, one that's darned creepy. And this fourth week was actually scary tales, so I made up something that I personally find quite scary.

And you see where this is going, right? The rest of the class is now looking at me askance, convinced that I'm dark indeed. Sigh. Stupid RPGs, I blame you! *shakes fist* Now I have to lean over to broad comedy to have a chance of convincing them to come hang out at my barbecues...

Heh. Or maybe I should tell them about my character.

Anyone else run into this, where a skill you got really good at in RPGs crossed over oddly to the real world?
Do you paint in the basement of a house in an old Boston neighborhood?

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Anyone else run into this, where a skill you got really good at in RPGs crossed over oddly to the real world?

I get the occasional odd look at work when I "display conspicuous knowledge". For example, I seem to know a concerning amount about arson and explosives for an insurance guy who's never been a claims investigator. On the other hand, the boss is a gun enthusiast, so that subject is never a problem.

Remove ads