Too much prose in RPGs?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not even a little bit.
Mod Note:
Trying to see how condescendingly rude you can be about this before you get a moderator's attention? Well, here you go.

You might want to rethink how you engage in this thread before you say something you'll regret.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Thinking about this more, judging by the amount of fiction, vignettes, and stories posted in various groups, I am not surprised that prose makes it into the game books, especially with as many likes the posts get. I have seen people making books of those alone.

Well, this I agre with, obviously. Its a hard call though. I mean, I was pretty happy with most of the 4e stuff, even though it was definitely very commercial and really cranked out there. WotC took the risk, they boldly innovated on their product, and look what it got them! I mean, maybe the fault is not in our stars Horatio, but in ourselves...
4e gave us the first D&D rulebooks that looked like they had an instructional designer - or really anyone with modern layout experience - involved in their design. I hadn’t given any thought to playing 4e until I picked up an Essentials book at my FLGS and had an enthusiastic jolt of this looks like it would be a breeze to run at the table!

But sadly, in their urgency to disassociate themselves from 4e, the braintrust at WotC abandoned those modern layout principles in deference to wall-of-text tradition.

4e gave us the first D&D rulebooks that looked like they had an instructional designer - or really anyone with modern layout experience - involved in their design. I hadn’t given any thought to playing 4e until I picked up an Essentials book at my FLGS and had an enthusiastic jolt of this looks like it would be a breeze to run at the table!

But sadly, in their urgency to disassociate themselves from 4e, the braintrust at WotC abandoned those modern layout principles in deference to wall-of-text tradition.
While I never played 4e, I have made use of the materials, and while I admired their technical presentation, I did not appreciate their splitting room descriptions into two locations. I also did not like the trend, which was not universal, of not including full maps of areas, but instead just 'encounter areas'. My players wander too much.

While I never played 4e, I have made use of the materials, and while I admired their technical presentation, I did not appreciate their splitting room descriptions into two locations. I also did not like the trend, which was not universal, of not including full maps of areas, but instead just 'encounter areas'. My players wander too much.
On this I am so with you, that 'delve format' was an abomination. It was inherited from late 3.x adventure design, was it not? I've not really read a 5e WotC adventure, but I certainly hope it burned in a fire!

On this I am so with you, that 'delve format' was an abomination. It was inherited from late 3.x adventure design, was it not? I've not really read a 5e WotC adventure, but I certainly hope it burned in a fire!
It died with 4e, thankfully. I quit DY&D when 2E came out, and didn't resume until 5e, so I don't know about 3.5.

Remove ads