• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tool for mapping a city wanted

NewJeffCT

First Post
I remember being shocked when I traveled to Angkor Wat and toured the Bayon - a city of almost a million people around 1100, one of the largest in the world at the time - and I could get around the ruins on foot. Sure, it took a couple of hours, but, you could walk across the city. When you don't need space for cars, streets become REALLY small.

Heck, ancient Rome wasn't exactly huge either IIRC.

I'd vote either Inkwell's city generator or the Cartographer's Guild. If you can't find a map that suits your purpose there, you're really picky.

Having been to Rome, many of the main historical sites are pretty close to each other (near the Coliseum) there are many within easy walking distance of each other.

And, if you want to see tight streets, try the hutongs in Beijing. I couldn't find a good picture, but some of the side "streets" are so cramped that I almost felt that if I put on a bit of weight, I'd have trouble fitting down the alleyways - and I was probably 175-180 pounds then:

Beijing-hutong-21.jpg

Last edited:

Maldin

First Post
You'll find some city mapping advice on my "Guide to RPG Mapping" webpage. There you'll find thumbnails with links to many of the maps I've done. For scale, the City of Greyhawk (which you will find my map of) is about 70,000 people, including the low-density 'burbs' off the map.

I also second the advice to drop by the Cartographers' Guild, where I'm mainly a lurker, but I do periodically drop by for a look-see.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more!

Remove ads