• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Top 25 Why You Don't Play D&D Anymore

woodelf

First Post
Dispater said:
Well I was waking up this morning with a terrible hangover and read up here on ENworld. By doing this, of course, my mind went awry and so I started thinking about gaming buddies I've lost, people that have come to the gaming table and left for obscure reasons. It's really sad that its the only thing I can think of to write down, and I am sure its been done before, but here it is, and presented in its entirety as

Top 25 Reasons Why You Don't Play D&D anymore

1. Your mother burnt your books

2. You burnt your books

3. You got a (new) job

4. You got a (new) girlfriend

[snip]
17. The +5 keen edge flaming adamantine longsword didn't give your life any meaning anymore

18. Whatever it is you're playing, its not D&D

19. You had a nervous breakdown after you lost your 20th level monk/bard character sheet

Ok, maybe i need to put my thick skin back on, but this poked through, somehow. I see a list of mostly-tongue-in-cheek reasons, in line with things like the Late Night Top-10 List for why one wouldn't be playing D&D--with, IMHO, a strong undercurrent of "why wouldn't you be playing D&D?", by implying that you'd need a pretty significant change in your life or borderline psychological issues to stop playing. And then, nestled in the middle there, is a jab at all other RPGs, as though it would be weird to give up D&D without giving up RPGs. I'd say it's a lot "weirder" to play only D&D than it is to play, say, a few dozen RPGs, none of which happens to be D&D.

Ok, i've vented.

jasper

Rotten DM
44 7 gamers 6 gamemasters and limited time to game.
45 new computer with new games.
46 What you mean someone write books with stories in them. I don't need a stinking dm.
47 New hobby. Ho train model overruns every party mini
48 Discover the bright think in the sky is the sun which rids you of zombie pale skin tone.
49. discover food is more important than dice after losing job
50 tired of trying to use spells in real life because your dad still has bought you $200 worth of gaming material.

diaglo

Adventurer
the reasons i heard from players/DMs for stopping:

new job, which means their available time to play changed

new baby

moving to new place

new girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse who doesn't like the fact she/he must compete for time

lack of transportation

lack of money to buy books or get to the game

lack of interest (burned out)

tired of the style of play

tired of the group or DM or just one other opposing individual

graduation from high school/college/grad school and now have to take on real responsibilities

death

severe injury/illness

mortgage, loans, credit card debt, etc... requiring more attention than gaming

religious reasons

DanMcS

Explorer
woodelf said:
18. Whatever it is you're playing, its not D&D

And then, nestled in the middle there, is a jab at all other RPGs, as though it would be weird to give up D&D without giving up RPGs. I'd say it's a lot "weirder" to play only D&D than it is to play, say, a few dozen RPGs, none of which happens to be D&D.

One, it's not that it's wierd to give up D&D but not other games, but that the reason you're not playing D&D is that you happen to be playing other games.

The alternative reading I got from that one was a jab at house-rulesers, not other games. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads