• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tortle sneak peak.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
If you cast fly on them and they are in shell defense, they can fly like Gamera: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/09/2...n-it-still-fly-if-it-retracts-into-its-shell/.

If your speed reduces to 0 and can't increase, then all you could do is hover, and even then, only if fly was cast and you'd risen up before retracting into your shell. Mearls isn't exactly reliable when it comes to rules interpretations.

Also, why is this news? Hasn't the tortle been out for about a week already?

Balfore

Explorer
Any caster would like the AC (except cleric). and everyone likes +2 Con.

15 Str, 17 Con, and 15 Cha makes a nice melee warlock. (with resilient Con, and +1Str/Cha to bring it up to 16/18/16).
Similarly, 17 Con, 15 Str, and 15 Int for a blade singer wizard.
Shell Defense could be nice for concentration spells. Prone and +4 AC makes really helps against ranged attacks. And about cancels out for melee attacks.

Overall, it fit a similar niche as the mountain dwarf, who would have...
16 Str, 14 Con, 14 Dex, 15 Int (16/16/14/16 with 2 feats)
So, you withdraw in your shell, get the +4 AC, Speed is zero, and you're prone.
Ok, I have advantage to hit, and you have disadvantage for my wizards fireball

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mellored

Legend
So, you withdraw in your shell, get the +4 AC, Speed is zero, and you're prone.
Ok, I have advantage to hit, and you have disadvantage for my wizards fireball

You don't use it if your in melee with a wizard standing behind.

thethain

First Post
Mechanically, they are best for classes which can't get a lot of AC easily. For example, a tortle druid starts with 19 AC. Finding non metal armor that is going to get you to that level is VERY difficult. (Dragonscale can do it IF you have 14+ Dex, and uses an attunement). Also since you have proficiency in Claw attacks, your wildshape forms with claw attacks would get to use your characters proficiency when it is higher.

A wizard/sorc/warlock might appreciate it as well as it lets them focus less on Dex. (Mage armor needs +4 dex mod to hit 17 AC)

Tortle would also be a very good Str rogue, as 17 AC is the same as Studded + 5 dex mod. AND as it isn't heavy armor, has no penalty to stealth.

Barbarians are also decent choice with tortle, normally starting with for example a +2 Dex and +3 Con mod starts them at 15 ac. EVENTUALLY they may get half plate or +5 Con, but thats down the road with its own drawbacks (such as stealth disadvantage, or delaying str or other feats) Where the Tortle will start with it.

Basically the Tortle in general should start off harder to hit, but might eventually be better off with armor. Most notably, if you have the defensive fighting style or find magic armor or plate armor early.

Balfore

Explorer
Mechanically, they are best for classes which can't get a lot of AC easily. For example, a tortle druid starts with 19 AC. Finding non metal armor that is going to get you to that level is VERY difficult. (Dragonscale can do it IF you have 14+ Dex, and uses an attunement). Also since you have proficiency in Claw attacks, your wildshape forms with claw attacks would get to use your characters proficiency when it is higher.

A wizard/sorc/warlock might appreciate it as well as it lets them focus less on Dex. (Mage armor needs +4 dex mod to hit 17 AC)

Tortle would also be a very good Str rogue, as 17 AC is the same as Studded + 5 dex mod. AND as it isn't heavy armor, has no penalty to stealth.

Barbarians are also decent choice with tortle, normally starting with for example a +2 Dex and +3 Con mod starts them at 15 ac. EVENTUALLY they may get half plate or +5 Con, but thats down the road with its own drawbacks (such as stealth disadvantage, or delaying str or other feats) Where the Tortle will start with it.

Basically the Tortle in general should start off harder to hit, but might eventually be better off with armor. Most notably, if you have the defensive fighting style or find magic armor or plate armor early.
DRUID-WIS based
WIZARD -INT based
Not seeing a benefit here

Remove ads