• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tortle sneak peak.

mellored

Legend
DRUID-WIS based
WIZARD -INT based
Not seeing a benefit here

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Cleric/Druid - +1 Wis, +2 Con
Wizard/Sorcerer - +5 AC, +2 Con
Warlock - +3 AC, +2 Con

Not having to put points into Dex for AC, means you can put them into other things.
You can just ignore the shell defense.

thethain

First Post
DRUID-WIS based
WIZARD -INT based
Not seeing a benefit here

Tortles have +1 wis, so They are probably ok choice for druids. Especially since moon druids will spend half their time in some wild shape anyways.

For wizards. Having +2-4 AC might in fact very much be worth losing +1 to hit / DC. Especially if it allows you to put more points in Con.

Balfore

Explorer
Tortles have +1 wis, so They are probably ok choice for druids. Especially since moon druids will spend half their time in some wild shape anyways.

For wizards. Having +2-4 AC might in fact very much be worth losing +1 to hit / DC. Especially if it allows you to put more points in Con.
Never skimp on optimization on a caster.
Sorry, don't see it.
A caster takes War Caster, so CON pretty much is covered, so the next stat would be WIS for save protection. Then CHA to not be controlled.
Still don't see it

clutchbone

First Post
From http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/tomb-annihilation

+2 Con, +1 Wis (more likely)
or +2 Str, +1 Wis

Languages. Aquan (Maybe)

CLAWS. Your claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.

HOLD BREATH. You can hold your breath for up to 1 hour at a time.

NATURAL ARMOR. Due to your shell and the shape of your body, you are ill-suited to wearing armor. Your shell provides ample protection, however; it gives you a base AC of 17 (your Dexterity modifier doesn’t affect this number). You gain no benefit from wearing armor, but if you are using a shield, you can apply the shield’s bonus as normal.

SHELL DEFENSE. You can withdraw into your shell as an action. Until you emerge, you gain a +4 bonus to AC, and you have advantage on Strength and Constitution saving throws. While in your shell, you are prone, your speed is 0 and can’t increase, you have disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws, you can’t take reactions, and the only action you can take is a bonus action to emerge from your shell.

Shell defense: shame that the rules don't line up with the intent here. Shells are supposed protect against predators trying to bite you. Prone makes it easier for predators to bite you (advantage on attack rolls > +4 AC). Isn't advantage generally considered to be equivalent to +5 to hit? Would adding resistance to non-magical damage to shell defense (in addition to +4 AC) be an unreasonable houserule?

mellored

Legend
Shell defense: shame that the rules don't line up with the intent here. Shells are supposed protect against predators trying to bite you. Prone makes it easier for predators to bite you (advantage on attack rolls > +4 AC). Isn't advantage generally considered to be equivalent to +5 to hit? Would adding resistance to non-magical damage to shell defense (in addition to +4 AC) be an unreasonable houserule?
Advantage is only +5 if you have exactly 50% chance to hit. For most enemies, it's closer to +4.5.

And yes, I think "resist to all damage except lightning" would be a better thing to give. I don't see any issue with resisting magic.
Or possibly, "reduce all damage you take by your proficency modifier".

mellored

Legend
Never skimp on optimization on a caster.
Sorry, don't see it.
A caster takes War Caster, so CON pretty much is covered, so the next stat would be WIS for save protection. Then CHA to not be controlled.
Still don't see it
If your standing in back casting hypnotic pattern, then sure, take the +2 Int. Tortle wizards don't displace gnome wizards for most parties.

But, if you don't have people to stand behind, then the AC and HP would really come in handy. You lose concentration if you are unconscious.
Also, buffs and 1/2 damage on miss spells don't really need DC's. Only control spells do. You can do just fine as a sorcerer only having twin-greater invisibility and fireballs.

I suggest you play a tortle storm sorcerer in a party without a fighter, paladin, or barbarian. You will quickly appreciate the AC.

Balfore

Explorer
If your standing in back casting hypnotic pattern, then sure, take the +2 Int. Tortle wizards don't displace gnome wizards for most parties.

But, if you don't have people to stand behind, then the AC and HP would really come in handy. You lose concentration if you are unconscious.
Also, buffs and 1/2 damage on miss spells don't really need DC's. Only control spells do. You can do just fine as a sorcerer only having twin-greater invisibility and fireballs.

I suggest you play a tortle storm sorcerer in a party without a fighter, paladin, or barbarian. You will quickly appreciate the AC.

Spell DCs also count on attacks and fireballs. DCs go beyond control.

No CHA bonus... not a good match for Paladin or Sorcerer. Will never be optimal.
Fighter, will never get better AC, will never be optimal.
Barbarian...hmmm... maybe something there

mellored

Legend
Spell DCs also count on attacks and fireballs. DCs go beyond control.
+1 DC will add half damage (14), 0.05 of the time = +0.7 damage to a fireball.
I'd much rather take 30% less damage from attacks.

Also, at level 12+, a tortle wizard can still have 20 Int.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Wizard (Bladesinger), STR-based weapon. Sure, no racial INT modifier so you're not at cap until 12th instead of 8th. But bladesinging +INT to AC as well as the Shield spell is a pretty low-resource way to get mid 20s AC pretty quickly. (I'm making the assumption that if you're playing with a DM that allows the Tortle, there's a good chance they will allow non-elven bladesingers.)

STR-Based Monk. With a master called Splinter. TMNT, D&D Style.

Dausuul

Legend
Seems like they'd make excellent barbarians. You get the same AC as a human barbarian in half plate (and way better than the poor fools who rely on Unarmored Defense), but you don't have to waste stat points buying up to 14 Dex.

But, really, if you're going to play an anthropomorphic turtle, you kinda have to play a Way of Shadow monk.

Last edited:

Remove ads