• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Totally Obscure Game of the Day

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
I remember playing Lunch Money...I wish I had picked it up- it was pretty cool. I think there was a supplement for it, too.

There were two suppliments. Well, technically one suppliment and one different game.

Sticks & Stones was the suppliment. Beer Money was the different game, though you could combine all of the decks into one super-deck.

Hm. I think I need to start carrying these in my store...

Nightchilde-2

First Post
HoL. I actually played it once, but one of the players rode roughshod over the "Praise Jesus" mechanics.

World of Synnibar. Terrible system, but I had some fun with it.

Paraxis

Explorer
Me and my friends loved playing Marvel Superheroes the rpg (the one with the multi-colored chart on the back of the book to determine success or failure) that was the best.
As far as card games, flux is great as well as lunch money, I think the coolest time for just laughs old school game is Macho Women with Guns and Bunnies and Burrows is a close second(to bad it was GURPS).

Zander

Explorer
Does anyone remember a couple of fun, if simple, boardgames by 3 Wishes Games (later bought by TSR): one was called Elixir and the other SPIVS?

Another game I like, though not so old, is Knightmare Chess by Steve Jackson Games. Anyone here played it?

SWBaxter

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Anyone remember Starfire, the stripped down precursor to Star Fleet Battles?

It's actually still around, the Starfire Design Studio does occasional expansions and updates.

One of my favourite classic wargames is Demonlord, by Dwarfstar Games. Has a lot of cool stuff going on for a minigame, and the setting's pretty neat. Best of all, Reaper Miniatures now owns the rights, and they've made it available for download at the above link. They've done the same with lots of other Dwarfstar/Heritage games, Star Viking and Barbarian Prince are both pretty decent, don't remember the rest.

I also owned most of the old TSR minigames (Revolt on Antares, They've Invaded Pleasantville, Remember the Alamo, Saga, Vampyre... there were probably more, those are the ones that left an impression). Dragon Magazine used to publish some pretty good minigames once or twice a year (by "used to" I mean "around 1985-1990 or so when I read it regularly"), and TSR put out a box set of "The Best of Dragon Magazine Games" that still occasionally pops up in stores.

Another game that really deserves a mention is Tactics II, which I believe was the wargame that basically kicked everything off for Avalon Hill. The game itself isn't necessarily brilliant, but it is a little bit of wargame history.

R-Hero

Explorer
A boardgame/adventure type called "Dungeon Dwellers". I came with several lead figures, Hobgoblin, Dragon, rats and a bubbling goo-pile of something. It used a die 6 for everything. You could play alone, with others or against others. (i.e. Dungeon/Game Master)

I've searched the web for another copy since the first one disappeared years ago.
No luck :( (Although I still have and use many of the original figures today. Poor giant spider is down to six legs and I never could get the Dragons wings to stick to the body!!)

For obscure, does anyone here remember "Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles" I don't mean the cartoon/toys/video games. The RPG T.M.N.T. Never played it myself but I started to order it out of Dragon magazine.

DethStryke

Explorer
Wiz-War is a good one... It was published independently by the creater, and sometime around the 5th edition it got picked up by Chessex... who couldn't drum up enough sales and have been attempting to get the newest (8th) edition to the market with almost as many setbacks that Duke Nukem Forever! (for at least 5 years!)

There are a few places to get a copy... Ebay, of course, but it's hard to get at a reasonible price. There are a few downloadable-do-it-yourself versions out.... print on labels or business card Avery plates and such.

Unofficial Homepage, but endorsed and active forums that the creator posts at:
http://www.wizwar.com/

Home Page (the forums are very active):
http://www.jollygames.net/

Best Downloadable one I've found:
http://www.jeloba.com/wizwar/

The other one I really enjoyed was Stop Thief!

Man that was a fun game. I finally got myself a copy of it, so I'm looking forward to playing it very soon!

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
The Great Khan Game by TSR, a card / board game set in remote islands of the Forgotten Realms, where you take control of leaders, pirates, mercenaries, wizards, armies and castles, performing attacks and coups on one another, waiting to be screwed over by an event.

Others hate it for a high amount of randomness, but several of my group love it.

Zander

Explorer
R-Hero said:
For obscure, does anyone here remember "Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles" I don't mean the cartoon/toys/video games. The RPG T.M.N.T. Never played it myself but I started to order it out of Dragon magazine.
Yes, played it once. It came out before the TMNT craze hit so lots of gamers knew what TMNT was before the general public.

Remove ads