Tracking debuffs and conditions w/poker chips

SSquirrel

Explorer
I was reading this thread http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-discussion/304138-condition-cards-i-made-some.html#post5574038 and made a quick mention of how my group was working condition tracking, but decided to put my fully expanded version up here for anyone who was interested.

My Dark Sun group uses 7/8" poker chips w/things like -2/-4 on yellow or green for attack/defense debuffs, -5/-10 on orange for ongoing damage, white for immob, red for bloodied, blue and black for marks, etc. I really liked the simplicity of the plan, so I decided to steal it for a new group I was putting together, but I lacked some of the extra condition chits they had to supplement their colors, so I decided to expand the idea.

I looked around the web for awhile trying to find a good deal on the Koplow poker chips I wanted to use. Someone was selling the tubes thru Amazon for $1.50 each, but when I threw 11 tubes in the cart and checked the price w/shipping, I saw they were charging basically $5 a tube, so I kept looking. Paizo sells them for $1.90 a tube and I got my order in 2 days once it shipped, so I was very happy :)

I decided to ignore things like Unconscious and surprised as turning the mini on its side for unconscious was too easy and a surprise round is handled too quickly to bother with. Here is what I came up with.

Brown - Marks
Purple - Marks
Black - Marks
Blue - Marks
Red - Bloodied
Yellow - Reduced Attack -2/-4
Green - Reduced Defenses -2/-4
Orange - Ongoing Damage 5/10
Pink - Stunned (St)/Dazed (Da)/Blind (Bl)/Deaf (De)/Dominated (Do) (All mental)
White - Immob (Im)/Prone (Pr)/Slowed (Sl)/Petrified (Pet)/Restrained (Re)/Weakened (We)
(All physical)

Yellow - 20 Reduced Attack -2/-4, 5 -1/-5 (25 chips)
Green - 20 Reduced Defenses -2/-4, 5 -1/-5 (25 chips)
Orange - 20 Ongoing Damage 5/10, 5 -1/-2 (25 chips)
Pink - 9 stun/daze, 6 blind/deaf 3 stun/dominated, 3 daze/dominated (21 chips)
White - 12 immob/prone, 4 slow/pet, 4 slow/restrained, 4 slow/weakened (24 chips)

As you can see, these tubes of 50 are no more than half used after I was done so there are plenty of spares. I just sort of guessed how many of different things I would want to have and then divided them out. Like Slow/immob/prone are all pretty common, but pet/restrained/weakened are more rare, so I did them on the back side of the slows. Originally I was just doing -2/-4 on the green and yellow, but there are some powers that apply one of your stats as the penalty, so I figured I'd include a couple of odds to balance things out.

The downside of chips is that the battle mat can get a bit cluttered, but if you manage to drop a slow effect on an entire group of monsters and it's till end of your next turn, one chip will suffice for the whole group as long as they're still clustered.

1 tube of each of the 10 colors was only $19+shipping, so not too expensive. I picked up a tackle box at Wal Mart to store my wet and dry erase markers, minis, chips and dice in. Really not too bad at all.

Opinions?

Mummolus

First Post
I like it, and I actually think it would work best in combination with the condition cards - cards for players, chips for monsters. Could even coordinate the colors with the condition cards so that the players would know at a glance what any given monster was afflicted by.

SSquirrel

Explorer
I like it, and I actually think it would work best in combination with the condition cards - cards for players, chips for monsters. Could even coordinate the colors with the condition cards so that the players would know at a glance what any given monster was afflicted by.

Well I did print a copy of page 277 for everyone and I was going to be highlighting the combat advantage options for the rogue. I can also color code the form so everyone can see what colors are tied to which at a glance as well. We tried stacking up chips on the mat in the other game, but we ended up leaving things spread out so it was easier to see at a glance

Remove ads