D&D 5E Tracking Encumberance & other smaller things.

the_redbeard

Explorer
Hah, I misremembered my own rules a bit. For rests, you need food and water as below.

Redbeard's Houserules said:
FOOD AND WATER PER REST
Short rests require 1 abstract “dot” food ration and 1 abstract “dot” of water.

Long rests require 3 abstract “dots” of food rations and 3 abstract “dots” of water.

15 (5 sets of 3) “dots” of food ration take up 1 “item” of encumbrance. 3 “dots” cost 5 sp.
6 “dots” of water comprise 1 water skin which is 1 “item” of encumbrance.

That's as they are now. I may adjust a bit either way; currently either these numbers of the 200 coins=1 slot/item/line feel a bit forgiving. We'll see. First few games sessions have been in the city where it's pretty easy to find a tavern for a short rest so they've not been carrying provisions.

I may be doing a few blog posts on my house rules but I've been lazy.

designbot

Explorer
Interesting. When I was reviewing the "official" rules and weights, I was surprised to see how much water is required. 5 lbs = 5 days worth of food, and per the rules, you can skip a few days without much effect. However, you require 1 gallon of water every day. A waterskin only holds half that much and weighs 5 lbs. If you don't get enough water, you start suffering exhaustion right away.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
Interesting. When I was reviewing the "official" rules and weights, I was surprised to see how much water is required. 5 lbs = 5 days worth of food, and per the rules, you can skip a few days without much effect. However, you require 1 gallon of water every day. A waterskin only holds half that much and weighs 5 lbs. If you don't get enough water, you start suffering exhaustion right away.

For what it's worth, 'they' recommend people drink about 8 8-ounce glasses of water per day* - which is about half a gallon. So D&D's figure is about double the correct amount. Also, half a gallon of water weighs about 4 pounds, not 5 - and the waterskin is unlikely to add that much.

* As with so much in the field of recommendations for health, that figure is debated, and certainly depends on environment and exercise. Still, given the numbers it provides, it works out well for game purposes.

One last thing: despite the need to drink water, it's likely D&D characters won't have to carry water in large quantities - they'll frequently be travelling in regions where potable water is available reasonably easily, especially with the use of magic.

designbot

Explorer
For what it's worth, 'they' recommend people drink about 8 8-ounce glasses of water per day* - which is about half a gallon. So D&D's figure is about double the correct amount. Also, half a gallon of water weighs about 4 pounds, not 5 - and the waterskin is unlikely to add that much.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the requirements are so high—In real life, I think you usually get most of your required water from food anyway. 5 lbs for a full waterskin comes from the equipment list.

I think the assumption is that the PCs are being extremely active (fighting, marching, exploring) while carrying a lot of gear and dressed in armour and the like. We hand-wave it, but I have to think an adventuring party is one sweat-soaked, dried-blood covered mess of stink by the time they head for a long-rest. Maybe the extra water goes to washing hands and faces?

A waterskin only holds half that much and weighs 5 lbs. If you don't get enough water, you start suffering exhaustion right away.

That's why I hand out an extra waterskin to each PC for free when they make their character. I don't like the idea of assuming they have to find water twice a day just to keep going.

Erik42

First Post
I ask PCs to be reasonable in what they carry. When the treasure begins to accumulate, they need to get some pack animals or retainers if they will be carrying it with them. Likewise, if they will be taking heavy equipment into the adventure locale. My current campaign is mostly urban, so there are banks where excess treasure can be stored if the PCs wish, or they can figure out how to secure it in their current HQ. That's about how much thought I give to encumbrance.

As for food and water, I usually just assume the PCs have the minimum. Specific tracking of this would only come into play if it was a scenario where the PCs lost their supplies, were in an extreme environment, or if they had a character who had specific needs (I once played an alcoholic elf whose emotional well-being would vary depending on how much wine he had left. This called for careful tracking, but that was a call I made as a player; the DM was content to take my word for it).

Mephistopheles

First Post

Weight in D&D isn't always just weight, though. It sometimes incorporates the bulk of items, in which case I can see the argument for adding a pound to the weight of the water for the skin.

What confuses me in the adventuring gear table is vials. According to the capacity table, a vial holds 4 ounces of liquid, which would be about a quarter of a pound. Yet the listed weights for vials are negligible with a couple of exceptions: 1 lb. for a vial of acid, and 0.5 lb. for a potion of healing (described as a vial).

I can understand not wanting to bother with weights below half a pound. It appears healing juice is loaded with weighty goodness making it twice as heavy as water, and acid four times heavier. I admit it's been a long time since I studied chemistry, but from what I recall it's unlikely an acid would be that much heavier than an equivalent amount of water.

Remove ads