Level Up (A5E) Trade up/down maneuvers

PauloR

Explorer
I ve been told you cannot trade maneuvers "up" meaning trading a maneuver for another one with a higher degree.

What about trading for a maneuver with a lower degree? Is that possible within the rules?

Also, now stepping in the pantanous homebrew territory, would that be so awful to allow martials to trade their maneuvers up? (Or down if that is not allowed within the current rules). What would be the repercussions in your opinion?

Just to be precise, I was thinking of trading up/down as part of the rule that says you can select a different maneuver and substitute a maneuver you know when you learn a new maneuever according to the tables. If this steps into homebrew territory, I would be more than satisfied of you being able to trade up/down only with the training downtime activity with an experienced trainer.

Cheers

Dragongrief

Explorer
Checking the ability on Berserkers and Fighters, it is specifically the same degree.

That said, down shouldn't be an issue since you could have chosen a lower degree maneuver to begin with.

Going up might be an issue. You could end up with significantly more higher degree options, leading to potentially overpowered combinations.

From what I read in the Adventurers' Guide, whenever you learn a new maneuver, you can choose one of the maneuvers you know and replace it with another maneuver of the same degree or lower. And you can only do this at certain levels depending on which martial class you're playing as.

If you were playing a Fighter who just reached 2nd level, you can only replace one of your 1st degree maneuvers with another 1st degree maneuver, you can't replace it with a 2nd degree maneuver until you reach 4th level.

Combat maneuver degrees in Level Up are the martial equivalent of spellcasting levels.

PauloR

Explorer
Yeah, an oversight of me not realising trading down is permitted, even if it's not explicitly spelled out, but if you canchoose a lower degree maneuver when you learn it, I don't see why you couldn't trade down.

I was kinda hoping the cost of the higher degree maneuvers would make so that only having your highest degree maneuvers as your maneuvers know would hinder their usage? I don't have that much experience with combos and how cheap/expensive they would be

Remove ads