Traditions

Thomas5251212

First Post
DonTadow said:
I agree. I wasn't really impressed with the tradition but the remainder of the book was useful. I would have liked to see more detail put into converting traditional spellcasting classes to the system. I think if you have an ongoing campaign and are switching in the middle, this is helpful. It's easier to sell a product if you offer an easy transition to the new system. A couple of times I nearly gave up incorporating it because my pcs really coudln't grasp it with their current characters right away.

Well, to be honest, I have my doubts incorporating EoM in mid-campaign is a good idea anyway; the flexibility of the magic is bound to have a noticeable impact on the dynamics of a campaign in a way that's unpredictable and likely undesireable.

I really didnt see the argument the writers were making that there classes were better than the originals. I love the book (again) but I felt that was self promotion I really didn't need.

My reading of that is that what they're saying is that they're better balanced with the new magic. Notice, for example, that its pretty defensible that the D&D cleric is already the overall most powerful class in the game in 3e; adding in the versitility of EoM magic probably tips it over the end (all the more since clerics weak spot (straight attack magic) is generally the area an EoM spellcaster loses ground on anyway; whereas their strong suits are actually enhanced by EoM magic. This is likely true even with the attempt to rebalance them.

On the other hand when you do a class from the ground up with the magic system in mind, you can balance it accordingly.

The traditions are interesting for prestige but were too specific for me to use any of them. I did let my pcs use the feats as options though but none have chosen that. Again I would love to see some spellbooks produced with optional enhancements.

The only complaint I had with them is that I'm not sure its not overly attractive to mostly avoid extent traditions altogether and be a maverick that can just chose its spell categories freely.

Remove ads