TRAILBLAZER - PDF Release - Discussion/Questions/Errata

joela

First Post
Trailblazer setting?

Have there been any talk of creating an all-new setting utilizing the Trailblazer ruleset (ala in the same vein as Greyhawk, Freeport, Golarion, etc.)? I envision an extreme pulp fantasy world far closer to sword & sorcery than the more established "sedate" settings. (Pace drastically changes when it only takes 10 minutes to get most of your powers back versus 8 hours.)

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Have there been any talk of creating an all-new setting utilizing the Trailblazer ruleset (ala in the same vein as Greyhawk, Freeport, Golarion, etc.)? I envision an extreme pulp fantasy world far closer to sword & sorcery than the more established "sedate" settings.

I've talked a bit with Ryan Smalley (aka Destan) about possibly adapting his campaign setting, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Valus-Fantasy-Role-Playing-World-Sourcebook/dp/097539990X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263045753&sr=1-1"]Valus[/ame].

It would make for an interesting blend, to be sure!

Inez Hull

First Post
I seem to recall it being mentioned that once the hardcover came out that an update of the pdf would be made available to those who've already purchased it. If so, how?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I seem to recall it being mentioned that once the hardcover came out that an update of the pdf would be made available to those who've already purchased it. If so, how?

When you purchase through RPGnow and a file is updated, they will automatically send you a link to download the new file, for free.

Unless you don't permit them to email you.

Nevertheless you can go to RPGnow and log in to your account yourself and download the newest version for free. It's been available for almost two months.

There is no hardcover at the moment but we'll consider combining multiple products into a hardcover at some later date.

ouini

First Post
Praise, question, ponder

Our group looked for fixes to what we saw as 3.5 problems for years. 4e came out, and we found it too high-fantasy, and too much like a video game or CCG. We stopped looking for a while, but I looked again a few days ago, and after passing over PF, found TB, bought the pdf.

Huzzah! It fixes over half of what we'd been complaining about, and gave rationales for why and how much stuff was changed.

One thing that seems to be addressed in TB is our GM's complaint about how buffs tip a fight enough to be worth casting, but are a pain in the buff to track. Well, I get that short rests now get rid of buffs, usually. But is that what's meant on page 3 when it says, "Buffs are too hard to track.
We’ve actually addressed this at what we feel is the true source of the problem: dispel magic. Adding or subtracting one buff at a time is well within the abilities of most players?"
I figured some dramatic change had been made to the Dispel Magic spell, but didn't see one. What did you mean by this phrase ... am I missing something? What aspect of dispel magic allows for only one buff at a time?

Also, though Action Points are highly recommended -- in fact are the most recommended fix of the pdf -- our group doesn't track XP much. We are in a very long term campaign, and our PCs level about once per year (real life). That spreads APs way too thin. Like I said, we like the tweaks, but may have to tweak the tweaks before we even implement them.

Thanks for the toolkit -- I love your feel for gaming.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Our group looked for fixes to what we saw as 3.5 problems for years. 4e came out, and we found it too high-fantasy, and too much like a video game or CCG. We stopped looking for a while, but I looked again a few days ago, and after passing over PF, found TB, bought the pdf.

Huzzah! It fixes over half of what we'd been complaining about, and gave rationales for why and how much stuff was changed.

Hey, you know now that you mention it, you can get Trailblazer in print, too! Direct from Amazon.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Trailblazer-New-Horizons-3-5-Roleplaying/dp/1449503608/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266499606&sr=8-7]Amazon.com: Trailblazer: New Horizons in 3.5 Roleplaying (9781449503604): Benjamin Durbin, Ellen Durbin, Brad Kelley, Scott Purdy, Christopher Neveu: Books[/ame]

One thing that seems to be addressed in TB is our GM's complaint about how buffs tip a fight enough to be worth casting, but are a pain in the buff to track. Well, I get that short rests now get rid of buffs, usually. But is that what's meant on page 3 when it says, "Buffs are too hard to track.
We’ve actually addressed this at what we feel is the true source of the problem: dispel magic. Adding or subtracting one buff at a time is well within the abilities of most players?"

I figured some dramatic change had been made to the Dispel Magic spell, but didn't see one. What did you mean by this phrase ... am I missing something? What aspect of dispel magic allows for only one buff at a time?

The dispel magic revision only allows for the removal of one spell at a time.

Also, though Action Points are highly recommended -- in fact are the most recommended fix of the pdf -- our group doesn't track XP much. We are in a very long term campaign, and our PCs level about once per year (real life). That spreads APs way too thin. Like I said, we like the tweaks, but may have to tweak the tweaks before we even implement them.

No problem-- just refresh APs at some other milestone other than levelling up. Tie them to successful quest, "chapter," or "book" completions.

Thanks for the toolkit -- I love your feel for gaming.

I take that as great praise-- Trailblazer is designed for... well, myself; and for players who are like me, and for the sorts of folks I would like to have around my own gaming table: eating snacks, chugging beers, and makin' big piles of dead bad guys.

ouini

First Post
... you can get Trailblazer in print, too! ... The dispel magic revision only allows for the removal of one spell at a time ...
If our GM and a few other players agree on some aspects to use, I'll be getting the paper version. And thanks for clarifying the dispel magic sentence.

... No problem-- just refresh APs at some other milestone other than levelling up.
That is excellent advice, thank you.

I love your feel for gaming.
I take that as great praise ...
Yup, taking gaming style seriously is a compliment.

Thanks for the character sheet and quick reply, by the way. Way to support!

Remove ads