• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Trailer] Cthulhu

paradox42

First Post
Been hearing about this for a couple of years now. Seen some photos before, particularly of those piles with dead people tied to them, but I think this is the first trailer I've seen.

It's clearly based on the Shadow Over Innsmouth, which means the title of the movie has little or nothing to do with the plot- but it might still be worth seeing. I'm in "wait and see" mode on this one, myself.

Why on Earth did they name this "Cthulhu"? That's like Peter Jackson doing the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but naming it "The Hobbit." Right author, completely wrong story. :-S

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Kind of ticked...
1) been forever coming out
2) it list Comic-Con and Dragon Con but no GenCon in it's schedule on the official site!

EVENTS
09/03/08 TX
Austin G&L International FF

08/29/08 GA
Atlanta, find CTHULHU at DragonCon

07/24/08 CA
San Diego, look for CTHULHU at ComiCon!

F5

Explorer
Even as an adaptation of Shadow Over Innsmouth, it's not exactly a faithful adaptation, is it? The question is: will it be any good in its' own right?

Looks like a passably good supernatural suspense/horror conspiracy. A lot of the archetypal Lovecraftian plot points seem to be there, but I'm not really getting the impression of "unspeakable horrors beyond human comprehension", that is kind of the central theme of any Lovecraft story. I look at that trailer, and I don't think "My, that was squamous". I haven't yet made up my mind if this is a good thing or not...

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Why on Earth did they name this "Cthulhu"? That's like Peter Jackson doing the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but naming it "The Hobbit." Right author, completely wrong story. :-S

The word is a lot more identifiable to people. I've only read a little bit of H.P. Lovecraft, but I definitely know the name Cthulhu. Had they named it after one of his books, I wouldn't know it from any other book unless they had in big, bold letters "Based off the book by H.P. Lovecraft." Cthulhu, now I definitely recognize THAT.

That's what I assume.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Funny... so very funny..

So let me get this straight, some producer bought the script for a movie treatment of the Shadow over Innsmouth and decided to name it Cthulhu even though Cthulhu had nothing to do with with particular story? Why not name it Dagon, because he actually had something to do with the story?

Oh yeah... I forgot someone already made a Dagon movie with a similar plot.

The word is a lot more identifiable to people. I've only read a little bit of H.P. Lovecraft, but I definitely know the name Cthulhu. Had they named it after one of his books, I wouldn't know it from any other book unless they had in big, bold letters "Based off the book by H.P. Lovecraft." Cthulhu, now I definitely recognize THAT.

That's what I assume.

But I'm not sure it makes any sense. Name recognition of Cthulhu in the "mainstream" audience isn't very high anyway. The majority of people--not all, as you yourself prove, but most--who would recognize "Cthulhu" would also recognize "Shadow Over Innsmouth."

But more to the point, the vast majority for whom the term "Cthulhu" is actually a draw--that is, more than simple recognition, it makes them think "Oh, cool!"--would recognize the story name.

And unless they're making major changes, Cthulhu and his worshipers aren't even in the story.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
But more to the point, the vast majority for whom the term "Cthulhu" is actually a draw--that is, more than simple recognition, it makes them think "Oh, cool!"--would recognize the story name.

Don't forget, "cthulhu" is slowly becoming a a term that is ever increasingly becoming synonymous with the notion of a "big, scary, fish-or-octopus-like monster from the ocean depths." After all, when Cloverfield was being pitched it was being pitched as a Cthulhu-like monster instead of a Godzilla-like monster.

Remove ads