• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Trailer] Cthulhu

frankthedm

First Post
It is a "Gay son comes home" movie, where the "Oppressors" happen to be cultists.
Wiki said:
Screenwriter Grant Cogswell explained that he and Gildark chose to exploit the metaphor for the horror faced by a gay person returning for a relative's funeral and having to face the horrors of small-town life.[1]

Can anyone confirm what if any special effects / Creatures are in the movie? Trailer does not seem to have much along those lines.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
This thing is painfully old. Why, this must have sat around in post-production for a scintillion of years. And now that it is released from its limbo of living death, the movie is rapacious with delight.

Honestly, this thing has popped up on these boards at least once a year, for three or four years now. And the last thing I read was the direction was trying to spin it as being about homosexuality. I don’t think he’s doing homosexual any favors by compared them to deranged cultists or the horrible tentacle monster they worship.

Someone posted, a couple of years ago that having Tori Spelling in the movie was not a “…a good sign. Or even a yellow one.” That made me laugh.

It may have some good moment. That box full of people on the beach gives me the willies…

frankthedm

First Post
I don’t think he’s doing homosexual any favors by compared them to deranged cultists or the horrible tentacle monster they worship
It is those who don't accept homosexuality that this movie is comparing to deranged cultists. Now the gay protagonist might be a deep one hybrid, but he is not part of the cult.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Of course, another way of reading the original story is that it's about accepting who you deep down really are, which is a theme which might resonate with gay folk. Of course, then making your conservative small town relatives the Dagon-worshiping cultists doesn't make a lot of sense.

paradox42

First Post
As a gay man myself, I can see that parallel, but it does strike me that doing a horror film based on a gay metaphor is a potential recipe for High Suckage. I suppose time will tell- and I suppose if this shows up in the Reeling Film Festival in 2009, I'll know why. Won't mean I'll go see it, but I'll know why.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
So... this movie should be called "Innsmouth", no?

Also, I think good Lovecraft movies are hard to pull of, as he entered pop culture too much. His stories derived horror from alienness, human insignificance and a streak of nihilism. Hard to pull that off when that stuff is pretty familiar now. :erm:

Cheers, LT.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads