[Trailer] The Dungeon Masters

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
Mmmm, just have to worry and wonder why my hobby seems to always be cast badly. :erm:

Its simple.. because normal people don't make for good cinema. People also need visual shorthand to understand characters but we're judging it before we've seen it so it might not be as bad as it seems. the job of a trailer is to grab notice and draw in viewers and so they play up the odd part - though I'm happy to say none of the gamers I've ever played with has attempted to paint themselves as a Drow... let alone two of them... and Wow are the weight standards low for the Air Force apparently.

Felon

First Post
Mmmm, just have to worry and wonder why my hobby seems to always be cast badly. :erm:
Honestly, the low-hanging-fruit approach seems to be all the rage with gaming media. First we had Knights of the Dinner Table--which was very fresh and clever in its day--then it snowballed into other cartoons like Dork Tower and then films like Gamerz, The Gamers, and the follow-up, The Gamers: Dorkness Rising. And let's not even get into the supposedly "hilarious" Gaming Night, where the low-hanging fruit is officially touching the ground.

By the way, anyone out there wanting to do some work in this direction, please take note that conflating the word "dark" with "dork" is officially played out.

Its simple.. because normal people don't make for good cinema.
That's not simple, that's simplistic. There are plenty of documentaries about fringe activities that present the participants in an even-handed, well-rounded fashion, and those documentaries are vastly more entertaining than some shallow depiction of buffoonery because they let you make up your own mind about whether these people are to be admired or scoffed at. Check out Murderball and Okie Noodling to see documentaries about fringe sports done right.

A lot of folks don't get the appeal of gaming, and it would be a great thing for a documentary to open that world up to them, rather than just expose them to extreme cases of borderline dysfunctional personalities.

Last edited:

Pig Champion

First Post
I'm no Bobcat Goldthwait but this looks really entertaining. I've never really got why gamers try to depict themselves as normal members of society. I mean, who hasn't played at least one game with the guy who speaks Elvish or years later robbed a service station with a longsword and shield.

Remove ads