• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Trailer] The Thing remake

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You're assuming you know how I think and you attribute an inferred emotional status to my words that are based on little other than that assumption.

This is the equivalent of seeing someone with a shaved head walking down the street and screaming out, "NAZI!"

I shave my head because I hate hair, not Jews.

You shall fall before ze Furred Reich!

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
You're assuming you know how I think and you attribute an inferred emotional status to my words that are based on little other than that assumption.

This is the equivalent of seeing someone with a shaved head walking down the street and screaming out, "NAZI!"

I shave my head because I hate hair, not Jews.

No. I'm going off your similar comment made towards Order of the Stick. Luckily this one wasn't as insulting as that one. But the implication is the same.

"You don't like the movie. Thus you must wonder why others consider it such an excellent movie."

It would be much easier to do what most polite and sensible people do: avoid discussions about things they don't themselves enjoy. Why interject your opinion about something you don't like that others do when the answer to your question is always going to be exactly the same: tastes differ.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I will wait and see but what I see - female lead, this points to a romance tie in; there was one in the 1951 movie but not a lead. Marketing to get males to see it and appeal to the female movie goer, maybe a warning sign of cheap film trickery.

This is the story of what happened prior to JC's thing - we know who gets away and who does not, will be interesting in seeing how and if they keep to that plot.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
No. I'm going off your similar comment made towards Order of the Stick. Luckily this one wasn't as insulting as that one. But the implication is the same.
No you're not. You're just skirting the boundaries of the board rules because of a personal issue you have with me and using any excuse you can find to do so.

It would be much easier to do what most polite and sensible people do: avoid discussions about things they don't themselves enjoy. Why interject your opinion about something you don't like that others do when the answer to your question is always going to be exactly the same: tastes differ.
So I'm not allowed to express a critical or negative opinion about anything on this site? Because why? Because you said so? Is anyone else allowed to not like something and express that fact or do they have to check with you first?

"You don't like the movie. Thus you must wonder why others consider it such an excellent movie."
You've made an assumption. As I said earlier, you think you know how I think. You look at some words on a website and instantly you know everything there is to know about me. And then you have the audacity to call me arrogant and infer that I'm talking down to everyone and assuming that I think they're all idiots and that I think I'm the superior being.

Unfortunately for you, you're wrong on every single count.

You can't seem to distinguish between an argument and a moral battle. I have placed no such value on my position, only you have. Your perception of the discussion is blurred by your own bias and inability to separate the intellectual from the metaphysical.

If you want to read, "I am superior and my viewpoint is right no matter what anyone says or thinks," from, "I don't like it. Why does everyone else think it's so great?" then I would argue it's you who has the problem, not I.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
You seem to have the presumption that your opinion is better than others. It is no "situation". It is personal preference. Some people's preferences differ from your own. It is as simple as that. Once you stop thinking of your own opinion as superior to others, then smugness will no longer blind you from the reality that some things are good even if you don't think they are to a great many people.

I very much enjoyed The Thing. I found the claustrophobic, isolated environment and the idea of an alien monster copying your companions to be very frightening. Not knowing who is a human and who is a monster was one a conundrum that would frighten anyone. I thought the entire film was very well done and well acted. An enjoyable horror experience.

Celtavian, I don't know what your problem is, but if you want to be thrown out of this thread you are going about it the right way. Your aggressive response to a relatively innocuous statement is out if order, and you should know better. If Kzach winds you up so much, just put him on ignore, ok?

And Kzach, if you see an issue, report it and leave it to the moderators, ok?don't engage the person directly.
Thanks.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
The original The Thing from Another World is an interesting movie, but not really scary. There was suspense and drama, but not scare and horror. I liked it, but it is mild as a "horror movie."

John Carpenter's The Thing is a true horror movie. Oh my god, it is one of my favorite horror movies of all time. (I'm not a big fan of the horror genre -- I don't like slasher movies and bloodfests.) That Thing is scary. And the suspense is awesome -- when they are testing everyone's blood samples... oh my god!

I haven't seen the JC Thing in a decade or more, so I don't know if the special effects would stand up well by today's CG standards. If they were to release the JC version in theaters today, I would go again, and I'd take someone who had never seen it before.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouZkkIsLiNg]‪The Thing Trailer‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

This new one: I can't imagine how they could improve over JC's version.

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There was suspense and drama, but not scare and horror. I liked it, but it is mild as a "horror movie."

It WAS a horror movie- and a fairly scary one, for that matter- within the context of its era.

Look at this list of classic horror movies covering the decades leading up to it:

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari (1920)
Nosferatu A Symphony of Horror (1922)
The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
Faust (1926)
The Cat and the Canary (1927)
Dracula (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1931)
Freaks (1932)
Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)
Vampyr (1932)
Doctor X (1932)
White Zombie (1932)
The Old Dark House (1932)
The Mummy (1932)
Island of Lost Souls (1933)
The Vampire Bat (1933)
Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)
Murders in the Zoo (1933)
The Ghoul (1933)
The Invisible Man (1933)
The Black Cat (1934)
Mark of the Vampire (1935)
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Werewolf of London (1935)
Mad Love (1935)
The Black Room (1935)
The Raven (1935)
The Invisible Ray (1936)
The Walking Dead (1936)
Dracula's Daughter (1936)
The Devil-Doll (1936)
Son of Frankenstein (1939)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)
The Invisible Man Returns (1940)
Dr Cyclops (1940)
Black Friday (1940)
The Mummy's Hand (1940)
The Devil Bat (1940)
The Monster and the Girl (1941)
Man Made Monster (1941)
The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941)
The Wolf Man (1941)
Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)
The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
The Undying Monster (1942)
Cat People (1942)
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)
I Walked with a Zombie (1943)
The Leopard Man (1943)
Captive Wild Woman (1943)
The Seventh Victim (1943)
Phantom of the Opera (1943)
Son of Dracula (1943)
Return of the Vampire (1943)
The Mad Ghoul (1943)
The Ghost Ship (1943)
Curse of the Cat People (1944)
Weird Woman (1944)
The Monster Maker (1944)
The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944)
Jungle Woman (1944)
The Mummy's Ghost (1944)
House of Frankenstein (1944)
The Mummy's Curse (1944)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)
The Body Snatcher (1945)
Jungle Captive (1945)
Dead of Night (1945)
Isle of the Dead (1945)
House of Dracula (1945)
Woman Who Came Back (1945)
Strangler of the Swamp (1946)
The Flying Serpent (1946)
House of Horrors (1946)
Bedlam (1946)
Black Narcissus (1947)
Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Apache Drums (1951)
The Thing from Another World (1951)

The Thing from Another World definitely belongs on this list.

Saying its not a true horror movie is kind of like saying Iron Maiden isn't a metal band because they're not as heavy as Job for a Cowboy.

The fact that their respective genres- horror movies and metal music- have gotten more extreme is not grounds for booting earlier exemplars from the genre.

The original The Thing from Another World is an interesting movie, but not really scary. There was suspense and drama, but not scare and horror. I liked it, but it is mild as a "horror movie."

Mild by today's standards, maybe a little. But for 1951? No way. Keep in mind, this is even before Hammer Films broke into the horror market (1955).

As proof, I present you with the iconic fire scene:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsADtGpAsXY]‪The Thing From Another World - fire scene‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I challenge you to come up with any movies from the years 1940 to 1950 that can match that level of terror. Heck, even when considering all time, you'll come up with a relatively short list of scenes that match that one.

I haven't seen the JC Thing in a decade or more, so I don't know if the special effects would stand up well by today's CG standards.

Frankly, I don't think that most of today's CG standards hold up to the special effects in The Thing. For The Thing they actually used real, physical special effects (with just a little stop motion to fill when budget ) and filmed it, which almost always looks better than a CG cartoon superimposed on a real scene. But I'm a special effects grognard like that. I'm sure the kids these days would disagree with me.

EDIT: Darn it, ninja'd by Danny. That's what I get for taking time to find the clip I wanted.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Speaking of the special effects, I remember watching an interview with Kurt Russell about making The Thing. He was asked what he remembered the most about the production. His reply was "...50 gallon drums of KY Jelly..." (Used for the slime...) He said he didn't realize that KY came in 50 gallon drums. Maybe it's packaged that way for medical usage...:hmm::angel:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads