D&D 5E Trap Stat Blocks, Examples, CR and XP

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I do like traps that have tiers of detectability based upon passive perception (PP).

For example:

a PP of 10 would reveal some dried blood on the floor in front of the door. It's not obviously indicating a trap - could have been from a fight.

a PP of 13 would reveal the strange looking holes in the ceiling.

a PP of 15 would reveal chips in the tiles from something hard striking them

Basically some flavorful hints of the trap. Holes in the ceiling might indicate poison gas or darts or perhaps snakes.

Actively investigating the area in front of the door would reveal all this information without need for a check of course.

As far as investigating the mechanism if the trap is obvious then disabling the trap shouldn't also be obvious otherwise it becomes
a trivial exercise. If it's obvious then the trap would be circumvented all the time. In this case I would suggest that the door has a mechanism to safely open it hidden say 20 ft back up the corridor....

Finally I think the stat block should include the purpose of the trap (if it's not obviously protecting something precious). Is it to distract from a secret door nearby? Is it to capture animals? Why was the trap constructed?

I'd put trigger beneath description. Explain how the trap works first befor everuthing else.

Nitpick: There's no such check as a "Thieves Tools" check...

I intended the description to be an overall general thing so the DM can understand what it is before reading the details. I know it's not done this way for NPCs, but in those cases the description goes after the entire stat block. I don't think that works for traps (or hazards).

Of course you are right about the check. But my mind is drawing a blank as to the correct phrase at the moment. A little help please?

I intended the description to be an overall general thing so the DM can understand what it is before reading the details. I know it's not done this way for NPCs, but in those cases the description goes after the entire stat block. I don't think that works for traps (or hazards).

Of course you are right about the check. But my mind is drawing a blank as to the correct phrase at the moment. A little help please?

Here's what I'd do:

Above Door Darts Trap
Mechanical trap
This trap fires darts from the ceiling in front of the door when the door is opened. When triggered it fires two dozen darts into the ten foot square area in front of the door.
Trigger. This trap is triggered when the door is opened more than a few inches. It automatically resets itself three times before it must be reloaded.
Detection. A DC 14 Wisdom (Perception) check in the hallway in front of the door reveals two dozen holes in the ceiling in the ten foot square area. A DC 10 Intelligence (Investigation) check of the door determined that the darts are triggered when a simple switch in the top of the door frame is released when the door is opened.
A DC 10 Wisdom (Perception) check from the back side of the door reveals the switch and triggering mechanism.
Effect. Ranged weapon attack: +6 to hit, all targets in 10 ft. square in front of door. Hit: 4d4 + 4 piercing damage.
Disarming.A DC 14 Dexterity check requiring thieves' tools disarms the trap by using a blade or other thin object to keep the switch depressed. The switch (and trap) can be disarmed from the back side of the door by anyone deciding to do so.

Changing the subheaders from separate lines to in-line reduces the space the trap takes up. Changing "Action" to "Effect" means that section encompass both attacks and non-actions, like a creature falling into a pit. Putting the trigger near the description keeps the flavour together.
It also moves things into the order they will be used description -> how it activates -> spotting it -> the effect -> countermeasures.

It wouldn't be a "thieves' tools" check but a Dexterity check. Everything is an ability check of some kind. It could be a Dexterity check that requires thieves' tools (such as picking a lock) or it could just be a Dexterity check. In this case, since it apparently can be done with just a blade, it might not require thieves' tools at all: just a knife.

Although... I don't see how anyone could really fail a DC 10 Wisdom (Perception) check, so it's probably easier to just say that the mechanism is clearly visible on the far side.

Here's what I'd do:

Changing the subheaders from separate lines to in-line reduces the space the trap takes up. Changing "Action" to "Effect" means that section encompass both attacks and non-actions, like a creature falling into a pit. Putting the trigger near the description keeps the flavour together.
It also moves things into the order they will be used description -> how it activates -> spotting it -> the effect -> countermeasures.

It wouldn't be a "thieves' tools" check but a Dexterity check. Everything is an ability check of some kind. It could be a Dexterity check that requires thieves' tools (such as picking a lock) or it could just be a Dexterity check. In this case, since it apparently can be done with just a blade, it might not require thieves' tools at all: just a knife.

Although... I don't see how anyone could really fail a DC 10 Wisdom (Perception) check, so it's probably easier to just say that the mechanism is clearly visible on the far side.

I like the change in the headers, both in name and putting them inline. Will have to think about the order, though I don't think it makes too much difference if the info is easy to find. But, that said it is something I will think more on.

I think you are right about not needing thieves' tools. That was just a mental hold over from how most traps are handled. What would be the proper way to phrase that if tools were necessary?

I put the DC 10 because maybe someone is blinded, or the area is obscured or... I just didn't think it should be automatic under all circumstances and thought to provide a mechanic in case it was needed. i.e. trying not to assume too much.

Remove ads