Trap the Soul

Trellian

Explorer
Activation method 1: Cast the spell - SR and save throw
Activation method 2: cast the spell, name the subject, ignore SR, save throw DC +2
Activation method 3: Inscribe trigger object with final word + name.. no DC or SR...

If the name is wrong or missing on the trigger object, does the victim gain saving throw as usual, or does the spell not work at all? I think its the last one, but this will come up tonight when my players *think* they have a way of defeating the uber bad guy, but they haven't his full name... hehee..

MythandLore

First Post
I'm pretty sure.
It's SR and Save as normal.
The requirement for method 3 was not filled but method 1 was.
But it could be it fails to work all together.

hong

WotC's bitch
Trellian said:
Activation method 1: Cast the spell - SR and save throw
Activation method 2: cast the spell, name the subject, ignore SR, save throw DC +2
Activation method 3: Inscribe trigger object with final word + name.. no DC or SR...

If the name is wrong or missing on the trigger object, does the victim gain saving throw as usual, or does the spell not work at all? I think its the last one, but this will come up tonight when my players *think* they have a way of defeating the uber bad guy, but they haven't his full name... hehee..

If they haven't got his name, they haven't got his name. They may thus be in trouble, if the bad guy detects that they were trying to trap his soul in the gem they just gave him.

That said, I'm sure that a party that can cast trap the soul should also have access to legend lore, contact other plane and commune. Should it be that hard to figure out his name?

hong

WotC's bitch
MythandLore said:
I'm pretty sure.
It's SR and Save as normal.
The requirement for method 3 was not filled but method 1 was.
But it could be it fails to work all together.

Not quite. There are 3 ways of casting trap the soul. The way that methods 1 and 2 work is to cast the spell like any other targeted spell: the target must be within range and there must be a line of effect, blah blah blah. If the SR and save are failed, the target's soul is trapped.

Method 3 is to cast the spell _beforehand_, inscribing a gem with the target's name at the same time. This gem is then _given_ to the target, and if it's freely accepted, the spell automatically works. It is thus unlikely that if the name is wrong, the spell could fall over to method 1 or 2.

MythandLore

First Post
hong said:
Method 3 is to cast the spell _beforehand_
Ah.
AH Ha!
It would in that case probably be "it fails to work all together".
With the small possiblity that method one would work.
But id does sound like "it fails to work all together" would be the answer.

kreynolds

First Post
I have to agree with Hong. I would think it fails as well, because you can't use method three unless you have their name on the trigger object. Without the correct name, it won't work.

Trellian

Explorer
But note that it isn't the gem itself that you inscribe the name into. Its an entirely different object that functions as the trigger object.. but the soul is nevertheless transferred to the gem...

The wizard tried contact with other plane, but unfortunately rolled a '1' on the Int check, so he is pretty unable to do anything for a couple of weeks..

kreynolds

First Post
Trellian said:
But note that it isn't the gem itself that you inscribe the name into. Its an entirely different object that functions as the trigger object.. but the soul is nevertheless transferred to the gem...

So what? The attempt still fails. If the name is wrong, your gem isn't ruined but there is no contention that the trigger object is worthless. Furthermore, the trigger object is inscribed at the same time as the gem is enchanted. In other words, the gem and trigger object are now forever tied to one another. So if you get the name wrong, the gem and trigger object are worthless.

For example: You prepare the gem and trigger object to trap the soul of that pesky rogue named, Fred. Unfortunately for you, his real name is Freddy. The gem and trigger will not work, BUT, if you ever meet someone name Fred, it will work on them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases