Traveller Is 45 Years Old Today!

Traveller was first created by Marc Miller in 1977, published as a box containing three black, digest-sized books by Game Designer's Workshop. The game was the first to use a lifepath system for character creation (one in which, famously, characters could die before play even began!) These days, the game is published by Mongoose Publishing.

Traveller was first created by Marc Miller in 1977, published as a box containing three black, digest-sized books by Game Designer's Workshop. The game was the first to use a lifepath system for character creation (one in which, famously, characters could die before play even began!) These days, the game is published by Mongoose Publishing.

A0470084-06BB-4642-8B81-BF59526BE4B8.jpeg

View attachment 254767

Nope. It's not even really at the harder end of space opera as a genre. Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga/Vorkosiverse is rollicking good space opera, but more consistent and more realistic on the whole. Sadly, the official RPG is GURPS based... Which very much won't encourage the feel of the novels with Miles' wild schemes. Also at the harder end: Niven's "Known Space." Especially The Integral Trees & The Smoke Ring. The official adaptation RPG of Ringworld is not Chaosium's best work, but it is workmanlike. And rare as adult hens' teeth.

@Eyes of Nine : T5 does add a bunch of transhumanist options. 2300 had transhumanist/cyberpunk elements in about 1988... but mainstream Traveller didn't until MGT, and even then not much. A very scant few in CT

but those aren't one in the rules.... until T5.
The nods to transhumanism: "true son/true daughter" (Arrival Vengeance for MT. Essentially, a child using the parent's DNA; gender alteration in vitro can allow them as cross-gender clones), the personality overlay machine (CT Adv Expedition to Zhodane), fully sensory prosthetics (MT - Travellers Digest articles on medicine. TD is canon, per Marc, and per Don's Hermenuetic.)
Still, basically, aside from Psionics, which the core CT rules didn't really seem like they were exactly inviting players to shoot for their PCs to get, Traveller doesn't really incorporate this stuff into the game in any deep way. There's no OTU anything basically where, say, bionics or cybernetics are foregrounded. I would think, for instance, that a Merc character that goes into special forces might well expect to get some sort of enhancement, but no such thing is present anywhere in the rules. Equally, there's no "Oh, hey, you're a Vargr but you're part of the Imperial Marines" or something like that.

Yes, Traveller has supplements that list things like 'enhancements' and prices and whatever, but it doesn't really try to make them part of the game.

aramis erak

Legend
Meh, I think Transhumanism is more religion than science. Not that every single thought transhumanists have ever had is without merit by any means, but I doubt there will be anything even remotely similar to what they envisage which comes to pass. Its like with all speculation, usually the world stays a lot more like it always was than the visionaries imagine.

Frankly I think its going to be a LOT harder than most people understand to just 'bioengineer bodies' and whatnot. Oddly in some sense Traveller's milieu may actually be MORE accurate than what you consider hard SF.
Some cyberpunk/transhumanist elements are already coming to pass...
Note that Cyberpunk and Transhumansim, while not the same, overlap heavily.

Prosthetic limbs with sense of touch - currently experiemental.
Prosthetic limbs with means of feeding back proprioception data. Moving towards production
RNA vaccines (currently in use)
Lab testing tissue for drug compatibility (being done experimentally)
Neural interfaces (working with monkeys since the late 00's. Lots of nasty feedback from the public)
Extrapolating facial features from DNA. (in use in anthropology, limited use in police work)
Ability to detect cancer and a number of other diseases. (Currently in use)
Exoskeleton lifting systems (currently in use in some Japanese retirement homes)
Battlefield robots (in testing) and drones (in use)
Telepresence medicine (in various degrees; surgery still experimental)
Human modified clones (Unlawful, but done)
DNA printing (doable at present, but not commercially viable yet)
Growing specific organs without growing whole clone (experiments promising; cartilage nearly consumer ready. Skin grafts in limited use)

combine knowledge of facial features from DNA, DNA printing, and modified clones and you put designer babies in reach. If specific organ growth fails, illicit clones for transplant will eventually happen.

Battlefield robots are inevitable at the present rate of improvement.

While the transhumanist and cyberpunk prognosticators are unlikely to be accurate in the sociodynamics, the tech they're presuming is coming to pass. It's absence in Traveller was noted, even in the early 1990s...
I just remembered TTNE includes a very limited selection of cybernetics in FF&S... which means T4 does, too... but not well fleshed out.

Cyberpunk was Influencing Traveller, but not incorporated into traveller. Traveller had other dystopias.

Some cyberpunk/transhumanist elements are already coming to pass...
Note that Cyberpunk and Transhumansim, while not the same, overlap heavily.

Prosthetic limbs with sense of touch - currently experiemental.
Prosthetic limbs with means of feeding back proprioception data. Moving towards production
RNA vaccines (currently in use)
Lab testing tissue for drug compatibility (being done experimentally)
Neural interfaces (working with monkeys since the late 00's. Lots of nasty feedback from the public)
Extrapolating facial features from DNA. (in use in anthropology, limited use in police work)
Ability to detect cancer and a number of other diseases. (Currently in use)
Exoskeleton lifting systems (currently in use in some Japanese retirement homes)
Battlefield robots (in testing) and drones (in use)
Telepresence medicine (in various degrees; surgery still experimental)
Human modified clones (Unlawful, but done)
DNA printing (doable at present, but not commercially viable yet)
Growing specific organs without growing whole clone (experiments promising; cartilage nearly consumer ready. Skin grafts in limited use)
I would call most of those things simply straightforward technology and not particularly 'transhumanist' in nature, though I understand that you can imagine some of them going in that direction.
combine knowledge of facial features from DNA, DNA printing, and modified clones and you put designer babies in reach. If specific organ growth fails, illicit clones for transplant will eventually happen.
Mmmm, there are likely to be implications of all this that are so unanticipated today as to make much of it irrelevant or simply unneeded or unwanted in the actual future. Its not to say that there is any given element of 'transhumanist futurism' that might not come to pass, but if the past of the future is any guide, the sort of vision of tomorrow that something like 'Eclipse Phase' imagines is probably not even going to be slightly like the real one. And the real one will likely be rather more familiar. Just like cars and aircraft and telecom would astound medieval people, but they'd be perfectly at home understand our politics and such, and many of the nations of today would be entirely recognizable to them.
Battlefield robots are inevitable at the present rate of improvement.
Are they? I think they may become technically feasible, there are a lot of technically feasible things that are not on battlefields today, and never will be.
While the transhumanist and cyberpunk prognosticators are unlikely to be accurate in the sociodynamics, the tech they're presuming is coming to pass. It's absence in Traveller was noted, even in the early 1990s...
I just remembered TTNE includes a very limited selection of cybernetics in FF&S... which means T4 does, too... but not well fleshed out.
I don't necessarily agree. Many technical things are POSSIBLE and many of them do not exist, and never will exist, save as perhaps an experiment or a prototype. You take the inevitable advance of technology, seen through the optimistic engineer's lens, and mistake it for some kind of law of nature. It is not.

Anyway, there were various articles in several places, though I can't really remember particulars outlining things like cybernetics. As I said before, not so much 'not well fleshed out', though perhaps that too, but just not really integrated into the greater game.
Cyberpunk was Influencing Traveller, but not incorporated into traveller. Traveller had other dystopias.
Well, core CT predates cyberpunk as a style, though not by much. There was of course transhumanist stuff. I think Arsen Darnay wrote some fairly interesting stuff back in the late 60's for instance. Heck, a good bit of classic SF is really transhumanist. I mean, the granddaddy of all that stuff is Stapleton's Odd John, and that's going back to prewar. Even Ralph 124C41+ contains transhumanist elements.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
Equally, there's no "Oh, hey, you're a Vargr but you're part of the Imperial Marines" or something like that..

Both the JTAS version and AM3 have specific inclusion of rules for Vargr in the corebook services and Traveller's presumed setting¹. AM3 (1984) and TTA(1983) have rules for Vargr extents char gen. AM3 also includes rules for Humans in Vargr space. (AM4 p.11).

Aslan similarly, JTAS article only has corebook gen, AM1 has bidirectional notes; Aslan raised in Imperial space use corebook careers with a number of modifications. (AM1 p 29) Hummans raised in aslan space are covered on page 30...

AM4 & 6 don't need conversions (Alien humans)
AM2 & 5 are alien enough and their cultures restrictive enough that such cross species inculturation is unlikely.
AM7 does provide a culture that humans could participate in; it's a bit of an oversight.
AM8 is a species not quite human, but prior appearance in JTAS provides the Imperial notes... Darrians/Daryans raised in the imperium enter the Imperial services; non-physiological Darrians raised in Darrian space should be permitted to use the AM8 tables.

Sword Worlders appear in JTAS, replace scouts with patrol. So one can use any of the aliens in the Sword Worlds, should they be citizens. of course, excluding the K'kree and Droyne, who are incapable of mingling, and a number of minor species without char gen at all.

Newts (Bawapakerwaa-a-awapawa), Ael Yael, and Virushi are only presented as using standard imperial careers with modifiers.

Dolphins have their own char gen, but fairly limited. Shriekers, likewise.

1: An imperium. at least several moths travel across, with a navy, space marine, army, scout, and merchant marine service... With sixguns in space. Standard traveller tech and social tropes... whether OTU or not.

Both the JTAS version and AM3 have specific inclusion of rules for Vargr in the corebook services and Traveller's presumed setting¹. AM3 (1984) and TTA(1983) have rules for Vargr extents char gen. AM3 also includes rules for Humans in Vargr space. (AM4 p.11).

Aslan similarly, JTAS article only has corebook gen, AM1 has bidirectional notes; Aslan raised in Imperial space use corebook careers with a number of modifications. (AM1 p 29) Hummans raised in aslan space are covered on page 30...

AM4 & 6 don't need conversions (Alien humans)
AM2 & 5 are alien enough and their cultures restrictive enough that such cross species inculturation is unlikely.
AM7 does provide a culture that humans could participate in; it's a bit of an oversight.
AM8 is a species not quite human, but prior appearance in JTAS provides the Imperial notes... Darrians/Daryans raised in the imperium enter the Imperial services; non-physiological Darrians raised in Darrian space should be permitted to use the AM8 tables.

Sword Worlders appear in JTAS, replace scouts with patrol. So one can use any of the aliens in the Sword Worlds, should they be citizens. of course, excluding the K'kree and Droyne, who are incapable of mingling, and a number of minor species without char gen at all.

Newts (Bawapakerwaa-a-awapawa), Ael Yael, and Virushi are only presented as using standard imperial careers with modifiers.

Dolphins have their own char gen, but fairly limited. Shriekers, likewise.

1: An imperium. at least several moths travel across, with a navy, space marine, army, scout, and merchant marine service... With sixguns in space. Standard traveller tech and social tropes... whether OTU or not.
Right, but you see my point. Traveller is released in 1977, and it doesn't address aliens at all until 1984. The AM series of modules also, IME was not exactly the most widely available stuff. I don't recall seeing them in our local game shop at all, though perhaps there were a pile of them in some of the back racks. None of us seem to have paid much attention and they seemed rather forgettable over all. I wouldn't call AM4, AM6, and AM8 aliens personally, simply being human cultures. That leaves 4 alien races, of which 2 are "so alien you can't play them or even mix them with humans." Basically, in terms of races that would matter to players in practice there are two, the Aslan (cat men, basically Niven K'zinti) and Vargr (dog men). There's nothing wrong with either, technically you can play them, though neither has a prominent place in the setting. Obviously you could extrapolate, and the alternate career tables were interesting. Its just rather little and rather late, and neither race honestly has a lot to recommend it in OTU terms.

So, yes, eventually there was a fairly peripheral introduction of a couple alien races, in a rather minor set of supplements. Its not that the AM series of supplements aren't thorough either, just generally aliens come across as rather an afterthought in Traveller, and it basically took 8 years before the first one got a full writeup.

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
you put designer babies in reach.
Probably already happening for the very rich. Will probably soon trickle down to the rich, and ultimately the upper middle class.

What that impact will be on society, probably outside the scope of this site and its moderation rules...

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
The whole amount of arguing over lore is incredible, it's like the setting has incredible depth, and is a grognards warzone. One of my last third imperium games collapsed from the arguing, so I decide to make my own setting. Ten years later, and having run it for a long time, other players said I should publish it so here we are ...

aramis erak

Legend
The one chance i had to join a Traveller game fell aprt after a few weeks due to the ref and one of the players [also his wife] constsantly having falling outs over rules or plot.
The real trick is to not try to run the OTU at first.

Seriously. There's a movement amongst the Classic Traveller fandom called "ProtoTraveller" - and many PT fans are "Core Only", many others are "Core Plus" using just Bk 4 and Sup 4, others include B0-4, S1-4, A0-4....

Core plus early books. You can do likewise with MGT just by using just the 2022 core...

Just for reference:
Books​
Supplements​
Adventures​
Book 0: Introduction to Traveller ²Adventure 0: The Imperial Fringe ²'⁴
Book 1: Characters & Combat ¹'²Supplement 1: 1001 CharactersAdventure 1: Kinunir ³
Book 2: Starships ¹'²Supplement 2: Animal EncountersAdventure 2: Research Station Gamma ³'⁵
Book 3: Worlds & Adventures ¹'²Supplement 3: The Spinward Marches ³Adventure 3: Twilight's Peak ³'⁵
Book 4: MercenarySupplement 4: Citizens of the ImperiumAdventure 4: Leviathan ³
¹: In core box
²: In Deluxe Traveller Core Box
³: includes a subsector or more A1 and A4 have subsectors adjacent to The Marches, while A2 & A3 have subsectors in the marches.
⁴: Includes all the world listings from Sup 3, and a sector map, but not the full text of S3.

A3 gives the Droyne as a playable species. A0 gives minor-mods level Aslan and Zhodani.

The real trick is to not try to run the OTU at first.

Seriously. There's a movement amongst the Classic Traveller fandom called "ProtoTraveller" - and many PT fans are "Core Only", many others are "Core Plus" using just Bk 4 and Sup 4, others include B0-4, S1-4, A0-4....

Core plus early books. You can do likewise with MGT just by using just the 2022 core...

Just for reference:
Books​
Supplements​
Adventures​
Book 0: Introduction to Traveller ²Adventure 0: The Imperial Fringe ²'⁴
Book 1: Characters & Combat ¹'²Supplement 1: 1001 CharactersAdventure 1: Kinunir ³
Book 2: Starships ¹'²Supplement 2: Animal EncountersAdventure 2: Research Station Gamma ³'⁵
Book 3: Worlds & Adventures ¹'²Supplement 3: The Spinward Marches ³Adventure 3: Twilight's Peak ³'⁵
Book 4: MercenarySupplement 4: Citizens of the ImperiumAdventure 4: Leviathan ³
¹: In core box
²: In Deluxe Traveller Core Box
³: includes a subsector or more A1 and A4 have subsectors adjacent to The Marches, while A2 & A3 have subsectors in the marches.
⁴: Includes all the world listings from Sup 3, and a sector map, but not the full text of S3.

A3 gives the Droyne as a playable species. A0 gives minor-mods level Aslan and Zhodani.
I would consider the 'core' to be more like all the CT books, 1-7 IIRC, plus Striker, Snapshot, and Mayday for more involved combat systems and more interesting vehicle design rules to go along with the High Guard ship design ones. You don't have to buy into the concept of giant starships though, just basically top things off at 10k tons and assume your 'empires' are at most sector sized. That seems like it is rather straightforward. The alien supplements and some of the other supplements work with that, more-or-less, though Supplement 3, TCS itself, and a few others aren't going to be used, though you can certainly mine them for some useful bits.

Remove ads

Remove ads