Traveller?

I think a truly "realistic" hard SF RPG, with no restrictions on information technology and automation (whether narrative-based restrictions or simple hand-waving) is at risk of being borderline unplayable. Too many situations solved by drones and AI, too much time spent future-version-of-Googling everything about every person and event the PCs come across, too much emphasis on knowing how current tech works and extrapolating into the future, turning the resident developers and IT staff among the player group into apparent setting masters. Too much tech, basically, and not enough player decisions.

That's why, to me, science fantasy--or more in that direction than the other way--is maybe the better choice for most RPGs. That, or isolating the players in a hard SF setting, meaning they can't look poke through vast equipment lists or have access to the most cutting edge tech, and please never any conversations about how programs or computers "should" work in the future. Scarcity and simplicity are a SF game's best friends, IMO.

darjr

I crit!
I think leaning hard on reality can help. For instance if there isn't faster than light travel or comms. Every place is then isolated. And potentially at different levels of tech. Maybe drastically. Sure the universe could be filled with repeating comms on "how to level up your civilization" but if the dark age comes and you don't even know that exists until much after your local "space age" it would make an interesting place to visit.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I really enjoy the relative slow travel of Traveller. For me it feels more like age of sail; in space. I also enjoy the different systems having different tech, law, etc.. levels. It really allows for the players to try cool things in the right places, but help reserve sites for the GM where technobabble solutions can be shut off.

If you are going to go with the Mongoose version, you may as well go with the newest update of that version:

But I cannot say anything about the modern versions of the game, as all my Traveller playing was back in the early 90's with the original box and the little black books. I once owned and read through the original Traveller 2300 and Megatraveller, but never played them.

I have also spent time talking with John Watts at local conventions, but I never had the chance to sit down and play his version of Traveller:

practicalm

Explorer
I tend to be a big fan of GURPS Traveller. I enjoyed the original black books but haven't really been able to get into the new versions.

Remove ads