Travels through the Wild West: Book IV

Lazybones

Adventurer
Thanks for waiting, guys. I had a very busy weekend: dancing lessons, playoff basketball (Sacramento Kings :(), bicycling, WNBA game (that's our women's basketball league, for my European readers), bought Soldier of Fortune II for the PC, and cleaned the windows of our house (whew!), but now it's Monday and I have plenty of story for you this week. Oh, and lots of cliffhangers :D (I know you guys say you hate them, but I don't believe you! :))

Book IV, Part 27

Less than an hour after the ghour demon had taken Delem and teleported away, the adventurers and their new companions left the canyon and set out again into the mountains. They headed roughly northwest, Lok leading them along a little-used dwarf trail that rapidly gained altitude along a jagged ridgeline before descending into a long, twisting ravine.

They were all on edge. After their experience in the canyon they were all fully aware that the demon had the power to appear at any time, and they already knew that these mountains were still crawling with ogres and orcs. The freed prisoners had equipped themselves with gear taken from the slain orcs, but even with bows and axes and clad in shiny breastplates they all looked frail and downtrodden. Cal and Dana had used their wands of healing to treat those with injuries, but most of them had just been beaten down for too long, and only time would enable them to fully recover.

In addition to Gaera, there were thirty dwarves, all of whom had toiled for months in the mines and clearly showed it. There were four humans: three ragged men of the Silver Marches who were all that remained of a caravan taken in an orc raid two months past, and an Uthgardt tribesman named Nanoc. Nanoc was nearly as thin and malnourished as the others, but when they handed him a spear something smoldered in his eyes, and unlike most of the others he had no difficulty keeping up with the pace that Lok set. Finally, there were several humanoids, three hobgoblins and a rather battered gnoll with mangy fur and a glint of madness in its eyes.

They didn’t give a weapon to that last one.

As their motley column made their way up the narrow trail, Benzan pulled Cal aside. “It’s the crew of the Raindancer all over again,” the tiefling said quietly.

“I know, I was thinking the same thing,” the gnome admitted. “We’ll try to keep them out of harm’s way, but…”

He trailed off, but he didn’t really have to finish. Both understood that in their current circumstances, there could be no guarantees.

As they watched the line of former captives file past, Benzan adjusted his new gauntlets. Their departure had been hasty, but the tiefling had not forgotten to search their fallen foes for items that might be useful in their cause. He’d immediately noticed the unusual gauntlets worn by the ogre leader, the one Gaera had called the “Warden.” The heavy leather fingerless gloves, backed with thick mithral rings, were obviously of exceptional make, and when they had shrunk down to the size of his hands on removal from the dead ogre his suspicions that they were magical were confirmed. Once he tried them on their function was obvious, as he could feel the surge of strength in his arms.

That would prove useful in the coming confrontation, he thought.

Benzan caught sight of Dana, bringing up the rear of the column, and the sight of her seemed to add a weight to his heart. “Do you think… I mean, Delem…”

Cal sighed. “I don’t know, I just don’t know.” He clapped Benzan on the side. “Come on, let’s get moving.”

Slipping back into a silence broken only by the constant whisper of the wind, they pressed on.

They day rapidly grew older as Lok led them over the back trails for an hour that became two, then three. Caer Dulthain was located only a few miles from the canyon mine, Lok told them, but the miles were difficult ones along the trail that he led them. There were easier routes to the dwarven town, but none of them suggested that route, knowing that they would be much more likely to run into orc or ogre patrols that way.

They saw nothing, however, save the occasional footprint or discarded trash that served as a reminder of their foes. The ogres had apparently picked the region fairly clean of any natural wildlife, leaving only a barren wasteland in their wake.

They stopped frequently to give the former captives a chance to rest and eat some of the provisions they’d stolen from the larders of the ogre jailors. After each successive break it became more difficult for them to rise up and hit the trail again, but with Gaera’s ceaseless urging none of them fell behind. The single-minded purposefulness of the adventurers was contagious, or maybe it was the way they cast wary looks constantly around them, as if each moment they lingered invited another attack.

The afternoon was well advanced when Jerral, who had been scouting ahead, returned to the head of the column where Lok, Benzan, and Cal were leading. “There’s a small box canyon up ahead,” the ranger reported. “It looks clear, but there’s a few structures near the entrance.”

Lok nodded, and something unfathomable crossed his expression briefly at the news. They moved on, and soon emerged at a vista overlooking the canyon. To their left, the trail ran down a short defile to the canyon floor below. Lok hesitated, gazing out over the barren terrain.

“What is it?” Cal asked him.

“I have returned home,” the genasi said. “This was my home.”

The companions exchanged a look but did not speak further as Jerral led them down the trail into the canyon. The walls of the canyon sheltered them from the full force of the wind, and although the canyon floor seemed just a rocky expanse of drifted snow and plain stone there was also a sense of peace here, as if this place could somehow keep the troubles of the world outside at bay.

“There’s another trail that leads up through a cleft in the rocks, about two hundred paces back from the canyon entrance,” Lok said, gesturing toward the point he indicated. “It leads up to another ridge trail that will take us to a back way into Caer Dulthain.” Jerral looked at Cal, who nodded, then she hurried off to scout the trail. Behind them, the freed prisoners milled about, uncertain what lie ahead for them.

Dana, who was still bringing up the rear, came over to join them. “This isn’t a good place to rest,” she said. “Too exposed.”

“I know,” Cal replied. He looked to Lok, whose attention was fixed on the two simple stone structures half-hidden among the boulders near the entrance to the canyon about a bowshot distant.

“Lok?” Cal prodded.

“We should start up the trail,” the genasi said. “There’s a place we can rest a few hundred yards up along the ridge.” He turned to face them. “I’d like a moment alone, if I may.”

“We shouldn’t split up,” Cal said. “Benzan, why don’t you stay behind, then catch up to us along the trail.”

The tiefling nodded, and he and Lok headed toward the stone buildings. Behind them, the others crossed the canyon and started up the narrow trail that ran up the cleft in the far cliff.

As the two friends neared the buildings, Lok looked up at Benzan.

“Go ahead,” the tiefling said. “I’ll stay here and keep watch.”

With a grateful nod Lok crossed to the first building, feeling the first surge of returning memories drift into his mind. He thought back to the years he’d spent in this place, just him and his adoptive father, rarely seeing the other dwarves of Caer Dulthain even though the town was just a short hike away. That had been fine with him; the other dwarves had rejected him due to his unique heritage, and while that had stung him at the time, he now realized that their reaction was just confusion at something that they could not understand.

He rounded the first building and looked inside through the wide opening in the front. He felt a brief surge of anger when he saw that his father’s workshop had been thoroughly looted, with only a few shattered remnants of workbenches and a few bent pieces of metal left as scraps. The anger quickly faded, though—what else could he have expected—and was replaced with a soft sadness. There would not have been much left here, anyway, as the practical dwarves would have reclaimed the valuable metalworking tools shortly after he’d announced his decision to leave. He realized that his disappointment was more because he’d hoped to see some reminder here, something familiar to spark more memories of the good times that had once been.

The house was in much the same condition, so he quickly bypassed it and crossed to the small plot of cleared land nestled in a ring of stones behind it. The summer garden was just a wide drift of snow, but Lok recognized instantly what he’d been looking for. He crossed to the single flat stone that just protruded from the snow, and knelt beside it. He ran his hand over the surface, brushing aside the snow and revealing the dwarven runes that had been painstakingly etched into its surface.

“Father,” he said. “I have returned.”

For a moment he just knelt there, alone with the whispers of the wind.

“I’ve tried to live as you taught me, father. Our there, in the world, people have judged me because of who—because of what I am. I have tried to remember the words that you said to me, to accept who I am and to use the abilities given to me to always live with honor and fight for the greater good.”

“It hasn’t been easy, father, but I have done my best. I have found good companions, a strange lot, to be sure! As if I should speak so…”

“I once asked you about my purpose, father, why I was here. You said that every man has it within his power to answer that question for himself, and in the end, the balance of his choices mark the kind of man that he is, and the kind of life that he has lived. I am still not sure what my tally will be, father, but I hope… I believe that you would have been proud of me.”

Lok bowed his head in a gesture of respect, and then slowly rose. As he turned to head back, he caught sight of something and paused in surprise.

At the edge of the patch of snow-covered earth, although he hadn’t spotted it before, a single flower—a small iris with tiny violet-blue blooms—could just be seen jutting through the snow.

Maldur

First Post
Ending on a positive note? Your getting soft in your old age Lazybones :p

Nice update, when do we get more?

ps WOW I beat Horacio, I replied first :D

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
As their motley column made their way up the narrow trail, Benzan pulled Cal aside. “It’s the crew of the Raindancer all over again,” the tiefling said quietly.

Your PCs are using metagame knowledge ;)
Great update!

Lazybones

Adventurer
Maldur said:
Ending on a positive note? Your getting soft in your old age Lazybones :p

Oh, I can assure you, things are going to get real dark real fast...

Nice update, when do we get more?

Right now!

Book IV, Part 28

Lok and Benzan quickly caught up with the others resting along the trail, and once reunited the group started out again along the trail. This path wound along the top of a ridge that undulated back and forth but followed a steady course to the north. To their left the ridge followed the course of a broad gorge, perhaps two hundred feet across and half that in depth. To their right stretched a broad expanse of jagged hills that resembled the wrinkles in a very old man’s face. In every direction massive peaks loomed over them like great white mounds, particularly to the north where they eventually formed an imposing wall that stretched along the entire breadth of the horizon as far as they could see.

“The Ice Spires,” Lok told them. “Beyond them, only cold and ice hold dominion.”

They had not covered much ground when Benzan, who along with Jerral had taken the lead, hissed a warning back at them. Quickly the column scattered, its members vanishing into the rocks along the trail.

Cal and Gaera rushed forward, careful to stay low. “What is it?” Gaera asked, glancing around at the barren and apparently empty landscape.

“I caught a glimpse of something… moving up the gorge in this direction,” he said, already stringing his bow as he crept forward and laid on his belly along the edge of the nearly vertical drop. The others gathered behind a cluster of loose boulders a few feet farther back from the edge, giving them an only slightly less obstructed view of the gorge below.

For a long moment, there was nothing to see there, although the uneven floor of the gorge and its twisting course made it difficult to see too far down its length. As they watched, however, something briefly passed into view in the gap between between two boulders, a bulky form that quickly vanished again from sight.

A moment later, however, another form appeared in the opening, and then another.

“Ogres,” Benzan commented needlessly.

“How many?” Jerral whispered, but Benzan shook his head. “We’ll see soon enough—they’re coming this way. They’ll pass right below us.”

“Pass the word back—everyone stay in cover, and stay out of sight,” Cal said to the nearest dwarf. The dwarf nodded, and soon word was moving down the length of the column.

“What do you think?” Cal asked Benzan, as the tiefling crawled back to their position.

“I’d say they’re probably looking for us, maybe scouting the approaches to Caer Dulthain. If we can slip past them, then we might have a clear route to the town—especially if Lok’s ‘back way’ isn’t widely known.”

“They’ve been here a while, so I wouldn’t count on that,” Cal said. “Plus, if we do slip past, we risk having them come up on us from behind.”

“Well, yes, there’s always a down side.”

“Here they come!” Jerral hissed, drawing their attention back down to the gorge. The first ogres were just coming into view around a bend in the gorge, several hundred yards away but drawing nearer.

“Oh, no,” Gaera said.

“What is it?” Cal asked.

“That ogre in the lead—it’s Soroth.”

“I get the feeling I’m going to regret asking this, but who’s Soroth?” Benzan asked.

“Soroth is the spawn of the Beast, a half-fiend,” the dwarf cleric explained. “He’s young, still a child by ogre standards, but he’s dangerous, a powerful sorcerer.”

“Great. Just great.”

Cal glanced back down the length of the trail, verifying that everyone in their group was out of sight. He and his companions crouched warily among the rocks, their bows at the ready, trying to keep even their breathing quiet. Benzan slowly crept forward until he could see the pathway along the floor of the gorge, careful not to make any sudden movements that might draw attention from below.

The full column of ogres was now visible, and a quick count netted a total of thirty-five, including the leader. Now that he was closer Benzan could clearly make out the distinctions that set Soroth apart from the others. He was at least two feet shorter than the other ogres, but still looked imposing with a broad, muscular frame wrapped in a heavy white coat of winter wolf fur. Two small horns jutted from his forehead, and he carried a longspear with a glimmering head that seemed to flash with reflected light even in the gray light that filtered down from the overcast skies above. Behind him, two columns of heavily armed and armored ogres marched in a lumbering cadence that shook the air with the sound of heavy boots on stone. Several carried the massive crossbows that resembled ballistae, and all bore a variety of other weapons that were huge, powerful, and deadly.

Benzan signaled back to the others what he saw.

“Thirty-five,” Cal breathed. And this time, they didn’t have Delem’s fireballs. Jerral saw his look and nodded grimly, and her own hands tightened on the haft of her longbow.

The ogres drew closer, until they could all clearly hear the sounds of their passage. They were traveling quickly despite their bulk, and within just a few moments their line was passing almost directly under them. From their hiding places above, the companions held their collective breath as they waited.

Then a voice lifted up from below, uttering a short phrase. Even without seeing its owner, somehow each of them knew that it belonged to Soroth.

At their questioning looks, Gaera whispered, “They’re stopping!”

“Why?”

“I…”

But she never got a chance to finish her reply, for at that moment one of the dwarves, leaning forward to steal a glimpse of what was happening in the gorge, slipped. A cascade of rocks tumbled over the edge of the precipice, rolling down into the gorge below.

“Oh, crap…” Benzan said.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Oh oh... Another hopeless battle of our heros and a handful of former prisoners agains a far superior ennemy... I've already read that in this story hour ;)

But they were hobgoblins and now they are ogres... :eek:
Will the party power have grown up enough to survive to that?

Lazybones

Adventurer
Horacio--yes, I'd forgotten that we've done this before! But while ogres are a lot tougher (esp. w/barbarian levels, and a half-fiend sorcerer leader instead of a cleric), they aren't as organized or disciplined as hobgoblins, and as we'll see, the tactical situation favors the defenders this time. Still, the upcoming battle may get bloody... Here's round one of the confrontation, with more to come.

Book IV, Part 29

“Oh, crap…” Benzan said, as the rocks clattered down into the gorge, giving away their position. Even as thirty-five pairs of eyes shot up toward their hiding places, the tiefling rose up and drew back his bow, targeting the ogre leader. Even as the twang of his bow marked the first attack of the engagement, Cal’s voice sounded loudly a few feet behind them.

“Let them have it!”

All hell broke loose as the world exploded with the sounds of battle.

A flurry of arrows and bolts descended into the gorge, as the companions and their new allies opened fire on the ogre columns. There were no shortage of targets, and while many arrows bounced harmlessly off the stones of the gorge or stuck in the layered hides that the ogres wore, others inflicted wounds.

Benzan’s first arrow missed, slicing past Soroth’s head as the ogre spun around, already shouting commands to his forces. A shot from another source stuck in the ogre’s arm, but even as Benzan drew and fired his second shot, the sorcerer uttered a magical incantation, holding up one palm toward them as if to push the missiles away.

The result was immediate, as Benzan’s arrow struck some invisible barrier and glanced harmlessly away. A second shot, from a dwarf’s crossbow, suffered a similar fate a moment later.

“Damn! That sorcerer’s got some sort of magical protection!” Benzan shouted in warning. He did not hesitate, already shifting his aim toward the next ogre in line as the brute cocked its massive crossbow and loaded a javelin-sized bolt into its groove.

“I got him,” Jerral said. She’d already scored several hits, but now she shifted aim, drawing one of her few remaining red-tipped arrows out of her quiver and targeting the sorcerer.

Despite being caught by surprise, and being in a very difficult position tactically, the ogres responded quickly. A group of about twenty were already running down the gorge to the south, rapidly leaving the range of the archers above, while those with crossbows covered their retreat. The ballistae, though powerful, were not particularly accurate, and the defenders had the advantage of height and good cover. Even so, one dwarf fell transfixed by a mighty bolt, slain instantly, and a second staggered as a ricochet glanced off of his temple, opening a jagged cut.

The companions kept up their barrage, however, and their attacks began to tell. A pair of ogres were down, struck by over a dozen arrows between them, and many others had taken multiple hits. These ogres were the elite of the Beast’s forces, however, and as they began to respond to this attack the beginnings of rage began to build in their veins, a rage that, once it took hold, would drive the ogres into a frenzy of violence and blood.

Jerral cursed as her fire-arrow narrowly missed the ogre sorcerer, its flaming head tracing a bright streak through the air that ended with it shattering against a stone. Soroth, however, looked up, and pointed toward the ranger woman, calling upon the power of a spell.

At his call, a jagged streak of lightning erupted from the sorcerer’s hand, blasting up into their position. Jerral’s eyes widened and she leapt backward, but she wasn’t fast enough to avoid the brunt of the blast as it tore into her body and knocked her roughly on her back. The course of the bolt nearly hit Benzan as well, but he managed to duck behind the cover of a nearby boulder just in time to avoid being blasted.

“Damn it, we need magical arrows!” he shouted in frustration, rising out of cover just long enough to send another arrow down toward one of the few ogres left milling below.

“Give me your quivers,” Gaera commanded. Benzan looked at her, read the determination on her face, and then unslung his quiver and tossed it to her. Lok, too, gave his quiver over. The cleric dumped the arrows onto the ground, and started gathering them together in a tight pile. “I need more, I don’t want to waste any of the power of this spell,” she said. “We’re going to need it,” she added to herself in an undertone.

Cal started to hand her his quiver of bolts, but she shooed him away. “All of the missiles must be of the same type,” she told him. She looked up as Lok reached into his bag of holding and drew out one of the bundles of arrows they’d purchased back in Citadel Adbar. He handed her the bundle, and she added it to her pile.

While the cleric prepared her magic, the others continued their attacks. Jerral, singed but still conscious, returned to the line and continued firing, sharing her quiver with Benzan. The bulk of the ogre force had already vanished out of sight around the bend in the gorge to the south, and Soroth was already leading the remnant in that direction, the ogres maintaining a withering barrage from their massive crossbows to cover the retreat. Two more ogres had gone down, but another of their party had fallen as well—one of the human merchants, a bolt catching him squarely in the back of his skull while the man was reloading his crossbow.

Benzan fired one more parting shot at long range, ducking back down before he even saw whether the shot hit or missed. Gaera, he saw, had leaned back against the stone, a tired look on her face, and for a moment he thought he saw the faintest hint of a glow around the pile of arrows before her.

“We’ve got to get moving,” he said. “The way those ogres move, they’ll circle around and be following us up the trail in no time.”

“I know,” Cal said. “Lok, we’re on your ground—is there someplace near here where we can make a stand?”

Gaera lifted herself up with some effort, drained from casting her newest and most powerful spell. “Knuckle Ridge,” she said. “The trail there runs up into a narrow cleft in the ridge, only wide enough for one opponent at a time to climb.”

Cal looked over at Lok, who nodded. “I know it. It’s the best choice, and not far,” the genasi said.

“All right then,” Cal said. “Lok, you know the trail—start moving out the dwarves and the others.” The genasi nodded, and rose. Cal turned to Jerral, already drawing out his healing wand. The ranger’s tunic had been charred away to reveal the links of her mailshirt underneath, and the skin of her neck at the edges of the garment was blackened from where the energy of the lightning bolt had burned her.

“I’m all right,” she insisted. “I can fight.”

“I don’t doubt that,” the gnome said. “But we’ll need everyone at full strength for what’s to come.” She nodded, and he touched the wand to her chest, uttering the command that released a flow of positive energy into her battered body.

“I’ll distribute these arrows,” Benzan said, reaching for the bundle at Gaera’s feet. But the dwarf took his arm, forestalling him.

“Is something wrong? I thought these would penetrate the sorcerer’s defenses.”

“No,” she said. “I mean, yes, share them, but you must not use them all in the coming confrontation. This spell… it is a special grace, a gift from my god. I intended it for use against the demon. The spell enhances fifty arrows, but use them sparingly, and be certain to save some for the final battle.”

“How long will the enchantment last?” Cal asked her.

“Six—no, seven hours,” she replied. “By then, it must be done.”

Benzan nodded, and he took up the arrows, slipping a handful into his own quiver and handing others to Jerral and Lok. “I’ll see to the rest, and let Dana know what we’re doing,” he said, starting down the line.

Cal helped Gaera make her way back to the trail, and the dwarf nodded at him gratefully before starting off. Cal turned back to see Jerral standing there, watching him.

“I don’t know if you counted, but there’s thirty-one left, including that sorcerer,” she said.

“I know. But we’ve got to do what we can, right?”

She looked at him intently for a moment. Finally, she said, “If we get out of this, I’d like to try you at poker.”

“Waterdeep rules?”

She nodded. “All right then, it’s a date,” he said.

He turned to see that their column had all passed onto the trail, save for Benzan and Dana, who were engaged in a quiet exchange as they brought up the rear. The tiefling looked up as the pair reached them.

“Ready?”

“Ready,” Jerral said. Shifting her attention to Dana, she said, “Why don’t you and Cal join the others. Benzan and I will bring up the rear, and see if maybe we can’t slow those ogres down a little bit.”

“Be careful,” Cal cautioned. “Those ogres are fast, don’t forget.”

Dana smiled, but it was clear that it was forced. “We always tell him that he worries too much,” she said to Jerral as she started down the trail. When she looked back at the two rogues, however, her face was serious. “Be careful,” she said to them. For a moment, as her eyes lingered on Benzan, she looked as though she wanted to say something more, but then she turned and joined Cal in hurrying after the others.

Jerral turned to Benzan, who was watching the young woman’s departing form. “Ready?”

Benzan shifted his attention back to the ranger. “Yeah. Let’s see if we can’t leave a few surprises for those bastards.”

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
Lazybones said:

“Be careful,” she said to them. For a moment, as her eyes lingered on Benzan, she looked as though she wanted to say something more, but then she turned and joined Cal in hurrying after the others.

Wow. That was a long concern period for Delem. What was that, 20-30 minutes? ;) Damnit, I miss Delem. Hopefully he'll learn a few things from the Beast while he's a captive. Maybe he'll realize he needs to stop being such a weak willed pansy, and needs to start planning how to conquer the Realms! :)

He does worship Kossuth... maybe he could take over the Red Wizards, heh.

wolff96

First Post
Wow.

Just had to post. Piratecat, Wulf, and Sagiro are all on hiatus lately, so I started reading your story after it was recommended to me.

I read through the entire compilation and have since caught up to the current place in the Fourth Book.

You have an EXCELLENT story going here, and a real gift for making the fight scenes seem alive. Just wanted to add my 2 cents... I love your story hour! I'm going to have to add it to the ones I check on a regular basis now... :)

Edit: Now that the Rogue's Gallery is MIA, is there someplace we can take a look at the stats of the various characters?

Last edited:

Remove ads