D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Everything Xanathar

SpoCk0nd0pe

First Post
May I suggest a paladin again?

An Oath of Vengeance Paladin/Hexblade at level 6 with both Vow of Emnity and Curse will crit with p=0.34 per round, each crit doing ~42 damage when smiting (two handed sword, first level slot, too lazy to calculate exactly with fighting style, no GWM).

A Sorcadin with quickened SCAG cantrips can do even more damage on those smite crits.

[edit] sorry, the math is off. You can only use two handed weapons with curse when you invest 3 levels into Hexblade. I got carried away because Great Weapon Fighting combos so beautifully with a crit build. Your sword and board paladin would be reduced to 36 damage in the same scenario. Still a lot for such a tanky character.

Last edited:

Mythknight

First Post
May I suggest a paladin again?

An Oath of Vengeance Paladin/Hexblade at level 6 with both Vow of Emnity and Curse will crit with p=0.34 per round, each crit doing ~42 damage when smiting (two handed sword, first level slot, too lazy to calculate exactly with fighting style, no GWM).

A Sorcadin with quickened SCAG cantrips can do even more damage on those smite crits.

[edit] sorry, the math is off. You can only use two handed weapons with curse when you invest 3 levels into Hexblade. I got carried away because Great Weapon Fighting combos so beautifully with a crit build. Your sword and board paladin would be reduced to 36 damage in the same scenario. Still a lot for such a tanky character.

I like the Paladin idea (or even maybe Swashbuckler but less synergy). My question would be, which class do you start with? How far do you go in that one before switching? How far do you go in either one?

If I make a particular class, in this Hexblade, I prefer to go most of my levels in that for RP reasons. So I would not want more than say 6 levels of Paladin and always trying to keep more Hexblade than others.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
With Eneveration, I really have to wonder what they were thinking. The wording is almost a copy of WitchBolt with a change in damage type, range and the minor healing feedback added in. I can't Image they got a lot of positive feedback on Witchbolt's mechanics, so much so that they thought: "Hey, lets take the template of Witchbolt, and use it to make another crappy spell four levels higher!" I mean, they should have a better feel for spell design in 5e by this point.
I like enervation :(

The signature of champions.

Mythknight

First Post
I know the "skill monkey" is not an ideal character concept for combat but I think the new Scout could easily help fill that role now, along with the human Prodigy feat. By level 3 they would have 10 trained skills, 2 tools proficiencies, 2 additional languages, and 5 skills with expertise. If you MC into Ranger you can add one more, and all the normal Skill Monkey craziness of adding in Knowledge Cleric 1, Bard, etc still apply.

My idea was to go 5 levels of Gloom Stalker for the extra attack and another skill plus darkvision, and the rest scout. Would only give me the 11 trained skills but I get a few decent spells from Ranger, darkvision, invisible to those with darkvision, another 2 expertise at level 6 rogue. Just seems like it can be a functioning combatant while still getting trained in almost all non-social skills with 7 skills having expertise. Also as far as I can tell Prodigy can be taken more than once, if you really need more expertise or more trained skills.

SpoCk0nd0pe

First Post
I like the Paladin idea (or even maybe Swashbuckler but less synergy). My question would be, which class do you start with? How far do you go in that one before switching? How far do you go in either one?

If I make a particular class, in this Hexblade, I prefer to go most of my levels in that for RP reasons. So I would not want more than say 6 levels of Paladin and always trying to keep more Hexblade than others.
I'd probably go with Paladin to avoid having to invest into 13 strength. But you do require some str anyway if you do not wish to be slowed down by armor. Since I really like initiative, I would go for a stat array like 12/14/14/8/10/16 (variant human) or 10/14/16/8/8/16 if you can count on finding a breastplate early.

I think one level of Hexblade gives you the most important features already. After that, Sorcerer or Paladin levels net much more gain imho.

Mythknight

First Post
I'd probably go with Paladin to avoid having to invest into 13 strength. But you do require some str anyway if you do not wish to be slowed down by armor. Since I really like initiative, I would go for a stat array like 12/14/14/8/10/16 (variant human) or 10/14/16/8/8/16 if you can count on finding a breastplate early.

I think one level of Hexblade gives you the most important features already. After that, Sorcerer or Paladin levels net much more gain imho.

You still have to have a 13 Str to get into or out of Paladin. So your stat arrays would not work without an ASI to raise it.

I would suggest you playtest the Circle of the Shepherd druid with Conjure Animal taking the 8 creatures summon option. Many DMs will let you pick the animals you summon, and 8 wolves can already solo a CR 5 enemy that doesn't have area effect damage. Doubling the HP of those wolves is VERY significant.

Conjure Animals is among the most overpowered spells in the game and this subclass gives it a significant boost.

Played last night, and had a new character: Hexblade 3/College of Blades 6. Variant human with warcaster feat.

That is a sick build guys. Holy cow! Good AC, tons of spells, tons of spells known, silent image at will, weapon flourish (which can be done with ranged or melee), Hexblade curse, Improved pact weapon, Branding smite, Hex...

The layering of damage goes on and on, for both bow and sword. Shield spell for additional defense, misty step for additional mobility.

Of course, lots of skills, expertise, Jack of all trades.

Wow. 5e has been pretty good for avoiding builds that are too good, but this one...

Remove ads