D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Everything Xanathar

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
First time posting here in years, just read the whole thread, and the guide. Thanks as always for your excellent work, Treantmonk!

Now for my one quibble. We played a campaign involving an arcane archer through level 12, and the arcane archer was stupid good. The arrows themselves weren't all that great, but curving shot was just ridiculous, because it was used in conjunction with sharpshooter (-5/+10).

That feat is risky to use against high-AC enemies. But curving shot takes away that risk: you attack the high-AC enemy, and if you miss, you curve the shot around to someone easier to hit. It's like spending a bonus action to get a slightly-less-than-perfect advantage (you still get two rolls to hit, but they must be on different targets). Plus, it stacks with advantage--in which case, you get three d20s to hit, not two.

Seeking arrow helped us out a few times, but the curving shot really upped that archer's damage; I'd rate it green, rather than purple.

Thanks again--I'm starting a new wizard, and you better believe I'm going through the guides for ideas!

rczarnec

Explorer
The Kensai's Sharpen the Blade does work on magic weapons, just not those with bonuses to hit and damage. A Kensai should probably seek out items like a flame tongue or a frost brand since these do not have bonuses to hit and damage, just damage.

Sophomore871

First Post
I think Far Step was probably designed for Warlocks; they were casting Misty Step at level 3, but since then using their higher level slot for that has become increasingly futile. Here comes a better misty step that you won’t feel guilty for using at higher levels, and it does use your concentration, but it essentially gives you 90 movement speed a round—perfect for sniping someone with eldritch blast, teleporting out of sight, and repeating ad infinitum.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I think Far Step was probably designed for Warlocks; they were casting Misty Step at level 3, but since then using their higher level slot for that has become increasingly futile. Here comes a better misty step that you won’t feel guilty for using at higher levels, and it does use your concentration, but it essentially gives you 90 movement speed a round—perfect for sniping someone with eldritch blast, teleporting out of sight, and repeating ad infinitum.

Eldritch Blast is a bad 5th level spell.

Better to use that 5th level slot on something that will actually count.

Sophomore871

First Post
Eldritch blast would be a terrible spell for a “god” character (why, sorlocks?), but warlocks are not god characters. They’re basically rangers with occasional arcane tricks, and any ranger would love to teleport 60 feet per round, especially against melee combatants or fleeing opponents.
That said, if you feel EB is a waste of time, feel free to use other spells on subsequent turns, like synaptic static or dispel magic or blight. Warlocks can cast far more 5th level spells than any other caster (depending on the way the DM structures daily combats), but unfortunately their options tend to be more limited than other casters.

Remove ads