D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Everything Xanathar

CapnZapp

Legend
Spirit Guardians is straight up better then fireball in my opinion
But what do you mean by that. What is the practical change you suggest by saying so?

Don't get me wrong, Spirit Guardians is a must-have cleric spell, but you're hardly deflecting the criticism against "this level 3 spell is meh - every slot you fill with it is just one less Fireball" type criticism by saying "never mind Fireball THIS is even Fireballier".

So I guess I'm confused. What's your conclusion?

gyor

Legend
But what do you mean by that. What is the practical change you suggest by saying so?

Don't get me wrong, Spirit Guardians is a must-have cleric spell, but you're hardly deflecting the criticism against "this level 3 spell is meh - every slot you fill with it is just one less Fireball" type criticism by saying "never mind Fireball THIS is even Fireballier".

So I guess I'm confused. What's your conclusion?

My conclusion is I gave you 1 example of a spell that is better then fireball.

Zmajdusa

First Post
The grave domain's circle of mortality also gives spare the dying 30ft range and a bonus action cast time. Also note that this can be a good 1 level dip for other non-cleric class healing builds. Also of note is that the Circle of the Shepherd gives healing on each cast of a healing spell to everyone in the area of effect for the Unicorn spirit, and this healing is equal to the druids level.

Cyrinishad

Explorer
Scrying is only worth anything because you can use it to spy on faraway locations you've never been to before. If you're only able to scry locations close to where you are and/or have seen before, its value goes way down.

Hmmm...:hmm: The only reason?

Weird, I could have sworn Scrying was useful in far more circumstances other than that...

Well... I double-checked just to make sure, but the Scrying spell doesn't let you spy on faraway locations you've never been to before... just the opposite, it can only be somewhere you've seen... and that's the secondary purpose of the spell. It's primarily an invisible remote surveillance drone that tracks a person or a creature.

mellored

Legend
Have to disagree on Shadow of Moil. Nowhere does it say that you are in non-magical darkness that affects a creature's ability to see you. It specifically says you become heavily obscured, THEN it turns down the lights around you. A person can see around you and your square fine, but you specifically are obscured.
I misread that my first pass too.

"you to become heavily obscured to others"

So it's greater invisbility that works on truesight and blind sight. Though shorter durration than darkness + devils sight.

Also have to disagree on your grading of Shepherd's Spirit Totem feature.
I agree they are better then rated.

Iguanacus

Villager
Let me reword sun souls big level 3 feature.

Radiant Sun Bolt: If you make a short bow attack within 30', it doesn't expend arrows and it does radiant damage.

If there was ever a time to use the worst rating, that's it.

Except it's also: Use 1 ki point to make 2 more attacks. At level 1-4 that's 1x1d4+dex with an option of 2x1d4+dex more vs 1d6+dex. At level 5+ you either do the same or double the damage of the shortbow with 1 ki point. You're also avoiding resistance to non magic weapons without having to get a magic bow and doing a less resisted damage type.

It's not the greatest ability, but certainly not the worst either.

mellored

Legend
As a Diviner wizard, I really want to like Mind Spike. My biggest concern with it is the concentration requirement.

It does OK damage, can be upcast (apparently there was an error and it should be +1d8/SL, not +1d6), and it does allow me to use my spell recovery feature in combat. However, having to break my concentration in order to cast it is a big penalty. I'm not sure breaking concentration is worth the damage + utility of the spell.
At level 3, you won't have many concentration to compete with. And an extra magic missile or tasha's hidious laughter seems well worth it.

I wouldn't keep it at higher levels though.

mellored

Legend
Except it's also: Use 1 ki point to make 2 more attacks. At level 1-4 that's 1x1d4+dex with an option of 2x1d4+dex more vs 1d6+dex. At level 5+ you either do the same or double the damage of the shortbow with 1 ki point.
Fair.
So maybe not brown, but a brownish red.

You're also avoiding resistance to non magic weapons without having to get a magic bow and doing a less resisted damage type.
You're also losing out on any bonus you would get from a magical bow.

Remove ads