D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Everything Xanathar

jgsugden

Legend
From PHB: Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in chapter 5, “Equipment”) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell.

No cost is indicated for the blood. Nowhere in the spell does it say that it is an exception to the rule.
It is not an exception to the rule, but the spell has different language than most spells that makes it a little different:
As part of casting the spell, you can form a circle on the ground with the blood used as a material component. The circle is large enough to encompass your space. While the spell lasts, the summoned demon can’t cross the circle or harm it, and it can’t target anyone within it. Using the material component in this manner consumes it when the spell ends.
That language specifies that the blood has to be used in this fashion to create the circle. No blood, no circle.

Confirmed in Sage Advice: https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/935314398322626561?lang=en

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Treantmonk I really enjoyed the podcast you did with Orc Labs a few years back (and I don't know what happened to Orc Labs but they seemed to stop with your interview or one episode after it). Do you have any plans to do another podcast, or your own? I'd love to hear a discussion of the wizard spells at various levels, potential applications, considerations, strategy and tactics, etc..

Treantmonk I really enjoyed the podcast you did with Orc Labs a few years back (and I don't know what happened to Orc Labs but they seemed to stop with your interview or one episode after it). Do you have any plans to do another podcast, or your own? I'd love to hear a discussion of the wizard spells at various levels, potential applications, considerations, strategy and tactics, etc..

Thanks for that Mistwell! I tell you, I've wished many times I could go back and revise a couple of points I made on that podcast, but it was something I really enjoyed doing and would do again if I got the chance. Frankly, I love any chance to talk D&D, it is a passion for me that I'm very glad my wife and daughter allow me ;)

As for doing a podcast on my own, I don't know that I have the comfort level to just talk to myself without sounding painfully awkward. Having someone else who knew what they were doing having a conversation with me really helped calm the nerves down.

That said, I'm hoping to become more involved in the D&D community moving forward, so we'll see if any opportunities present themselves.

smbakeresq

Explorer
I hope I'm not too late for this, but I need to point out a few wrinkles here with Summon Greater Demon and Infernal Calling

First off, for Summon Greater Demon, the material component is a vial of blood from a humanoid killed in the last 24 hours. Technically, you could just handwave this with a spell focus or a material component pouch, but that seems easily like something a DM would seize upon, if given the chance. Which would lock you into a cycle of killing creatures, humanoid ones, even.

Also, two things are of note in Infernal Calling: One, it is an Insight Check that is opposed by your choice of Persuasion, Deception, or Intimidation. Now, for the spellcasters this spell was intended for, this might be a problem, but for a Bard with Magical Secrets... Expertise in one of the aforementioned charisma skills could put you miles above the average devil, even an advanced one. In addition to this, if you're a Lore bard, you can use Cutting Words against the Devil's Insight check, since it is an ability check, and thus falls within that ability's purview. In addition to this massive boon, you can also craft a talisman that will allow you to summon a devil of +1 CR and forces it to obey you absolutely. This provides absolute immunity, unlike the Demon version, which merely reduces the chance. Crafting such an item requires two things: The devil's true name, and the blood of a worthy sacrifice, enough to bathe the talisman in, at least. While the latter presents roleplaying problems as to what is a 'worthy sacrifice' and whether you need to kill the creature, the first is easy enough to obtain, if you have a high charisma skill. You can just ask the devil, after all.

I saw this and I would say no to the CHR check to get the true name of the devil. True names of creatures such as devils have always been closely guarded secrets, so important that to me even a suggestion spell would fail as it is obviously harmful to the creature. If you asked the true name on the first round after summoning this or a demon I would at least grant then a save against the spell again.

Of course research into the name of the devil or demon and using that in the spell itself would make t work, and rewards smart play.

rczarnec

Explorer
I saw this and I would say no to the CHR check to get the true name of the devil. True names of creatures such as devils have always been closely guarded secrets, so important that to me even a suggestion spell would fail as it is obviously harmful to the creature. If you asked the true name on the first round after summoning this or a demon I would at least grant then a save against the spell again.

Of course research into the name of the devil or demon and using that in the spell itself would make t work, and rewards smart play.

Maybe you could try to get the demon to give you the true name of another demon.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Maybe you could try to get the demon to give you the true name of another demon.

Now that’s a different issue and as a parting gift it’s great. A demon is a chaotic creature so would surly sell out another demon.

Likewise but different, devils are lawful creatures but always trying to climb the ladder, selling out a rival is certainly something it would consider trying.

gyor

Legend

I'd allow a simple Arcana or Religion check to see if you'd come across the name.

smbakeresq

Explorer
I'd allow a simple Arcana or Religion check to see if you'd come across the name.

Truenames are sources of great power over those creatures, contained mystical tomes. They should be adventures of them selves.

Of course said demon or devil would attempt to kill or enslave anyone with such knowledge, and it’s enemies would attempt to extract such infomation at all costs.

Remove ads