• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Treasure generation Question

Oogar

First Post
heh, I usually make a few random rolls to get a feeling for what the "suggested" amount will become. And then I pick and choose what is right for the encounter. If the critter uses a weapon, it might be masterwork, or magic if high enough. If it were something dragon like, it would be mostly coins, and whatever failed adventurers might have had.

The Sunderer

First Post
Well The Sage seems to be ignoring this question. While I wait for an answer (he could be busy) I will post the question over on the Wizard and Monte Cook boards

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
The Sunderer said:
Well The Sage seems to be ignoring this question. While I wait for an answer (he could be busy) I will post the question over on the Wizard and Monte Cook boards
Post links when you did it, ok? :)

Aahz

First Post
Here is an idea.

Why can't we do treasure per creature and then lessen it depending on how many creatures there are in the encounter.

For example:

An Encounter with a CR 7 creature and a CR 9 creature, that would make an EL of 10 (IIRC). Now generate the CR 7 creature's Treasure (using the EL 7 Entry) with 50% coins, 50% items, & 50% goods. Then do the same for the CR 9 creature (again, using the EL 9 Entry) and add the two together to get the total treasure for this encounter.

With a little experiment, I did exactly this and compared it to treasure rolls from the 50% EL 7 & EL 9 rolls and compared them to a 100% EL 10 roll and got comparable results. I'll probably have to do more testing to see if this holds up but it is probably just as good as 'eyeballing it'.

Christopher J. Bono

Last edited:

Tiberius

Explorer
Rav said:
(you don't give out XP according to EL either now do you...?)

Rav

Actually, I do give out XP based on encounter level rather than creatures' individual CRs. I like that system a lot better, and it saves me from doing a fair amount of math.

With respect to the treasure, I would roll up EL 9 treasures for both of them, modified according to their treasure listings in the Monster Manual

-Tiberius

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Hmmmm.

Given that the game designers seem rather obsessed with the idea of perfect balance, and PCs having the correct amount of treasure for their level, it does seem truly bizarre that treasure, being default linked to EL rather than CR, is not gained at the same (relative) rate as XP.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads