• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Treasure generation Question

The Sunderer

First Post
I have the feeling that I am being very stupid here...

The random treasure generation table works in EL, that I can handle.

But what happens when you have two different types of creature and only one of them has non standard treasure amounts....

I'll randomly pick a couple of monsters to illustrate this... An Aboleth (Cr 7) and its slave Athach (Cr 7)... Ok this is an EL 9 encounter... but the Aboleth gets double standard and the Athach gets standard items, 1/2 coins and double goods.

Good random choice methinks :D

Any ideas?

UD

First Post
Make it up!? I don't use the standard treasure tables much... I just tend to give the party things I think is about right...

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Eyeball it. The DMG suggests giving out extra treasure on some encounters and none on others, as long as it all evens out; in the spirit of that, make something up!

The Sunderer

First Post
I do guestimate it...

However in a game where everything is qauntified, it seemed strange to me that something as important as this was left so vague...

I'll send the question of to The Sage and let you know what he says...

MythandLore

First Post
The Sunderer said:
I have the feeling that I am being very stupid here...

The random treasure generation table works in EL, that I can handle.

But what happens when you have two different types of creature and only one of them has non standard treasure amounts....

I'll randomly pick a couple of monsters to illustrate this... An Aboleth (Cr 7) and its slave Athach (Cr 7)... Ok this is an EL 9 encounter... but the Aboleth gets double standard and the Athach gets standard items, 1/2 coins and double goods.

Good random choice methinks :D

Any ideas?

Just figure out the induvidual treasure first, then add it together, forget about the total EL.

Here use this:
Here's a link to Jamis Buck's Treasure Generator The best out there!

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
The DMG says EL. This is incredibly stupid IMO, I have used per CR rated creature instead. (you don't give out XP according to EL either now do you...?)

Rav

MythandLore

First Post
Rav said:
The DMG says EL.
The DMG is stupid with that rule.
Rav said:
This is incredibly stupid IMO,
That's because it's stupid.
Rav said:
I have used per CR rated creature instead.
Becuase your NOT-stupid.
Rav said:
(you don't give out XP according to EL either now do you...?)
NO. You don't, it's by individual monster's CR.
Which was the smart way to do it.
Not like stupid treasure rules they came up with.

So, using their version, if you make the players fight a party of monsters, you have to figure out the total treasure first of the monsters then divide it up among the mosters to use.
The monsters can't just have their own treasue and group together to fight the party.

Last edited:

graydoom

First Post
Heh. I'll concur with the rest of the people who said this: just eyeball it. Give out an amount of treasure that you think is right for the party.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads