Tree Shape and moving?

Mahali

Explorer
Doesn't say you can't move. Are you a 1 dexed tree walking around beating on people?

By means of this spell, you are able to assume the form of a small, living tree or shrub or a large, dead tree trunk with a small number of limbs. The closest inspection cannot reveal that the tree in
question is actually a magically concealed creature. To all normal tests you are, in fact, a tree or shrub, although a detect magic spell reveals a faint transmutation on the tree. While in tree form, you can observe all that transpires around you just as if you were in your normal form, and your hit points and saves remain unaffected. You gain a +10 natural armor bonus to AC but have an effective Dexterity score of 1. You
are immune to critical hits while in tree form. All clothing and gear carried or worn changes with you.

hong

WotC's bitch
Well, I would say that you're a tree. The Dex score of 1 just means you can move your branches out of the way of an axe, but otherwise you're rooted to the spot for the duration.

I've always assumed (yeah, yeah) that you couldn't move. It says you are a tree and detect as a tree, not a magical tree. Of course, I can think of virtually no time that I would prepare and use this spell considering the greater versatility and mobility of wildshape.

So what I'm saying is that it doesn't look like you can by the rules, but if you could it would make it a slightly less cruddy spell. Evenso, I still doubt that I'd ever use it. That is unless someone can point out the good points of turning into a tree. Hiding in a forest, sure - but especially now that camouflage is an available - why bother?

Good luck.

Mahali

Explorer
I cast it because I can't wildshape yet and needed to do surveillance on compound we needed to get by/attack.
GM allowed me to 1/2 move and of course if someone got a really good spot on me would know something is screwy.

Remove ads