• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Troll Lord Games looking foe a few good men

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ok, so what book(s) do I need to start playing C&C? Where can I get them? How much do they cost?
The C&C Players Handbook is enough to play with, assuming you have the 3E (or PF) SRD, or any monster book from OD&D through 3E. It certainly doesn't hurt to also have Monsters & Treasure, which modestly tweaks many of those elements from the SRD to better fit with C&C.

The 4th edition is the currently available version of the rules, and is available via Amazon, RPGShop, Paizo, RPGNow, etc.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ok -- so I still need the SRD to use in conjunction with C&C rules, huh? I think I understand.
No.

C&C is a complete OGL game. The Players Handbook contains all the rules needed to play, but Monsters & Treasure contains lots of, you know, monsters and treasure.

HOWEVER, it is super-compatible with every version of the game through 3E. If you have any monster book, treasure book, source book, whatever, you can use it with C&C incredibly easily. So you can get away with JUST having the C&C Players Handbook and the SRD if you don't want to shell out for Monsters & Treasure.

Leif

Adventurer
No.

C&C is a complete OGL game. The Players Handbook contains all the rules needed to play, but Monsters & Treasure contains lots of, you know, monsters and treasure.

HOWEVER, it is super-compatible with every version of the game through 3E. If you have any monster book, treasure book, source book, whatever, you can use it with C&C incredibly easily. So you can get away with JUST having the C&C Players Handbook and the SRD if you don't want to shell out for Monsters & Treasure.
Gotcha. Thanks.

Insight

Adventurer
I would think Troll Lords would want you to cross-promote as much of their own material as possible. Were I to jump into this (and I am considering it), I would want to get my hands on as many C&C books as possible - at least the PHB and the monster books.

Leif

Adventurer
I would think Troll Lords would want you to cross-promote as much of their own material as possible. Were I to jump into this (and I am considering it), I would want to get my hands on as many C&C books as possible - at least the PHB and the monster books.
Ahh, my old buddy Insight. It'd definitely be nicer to play with some familiar 'faces'/avatars.

DMKastmaria

First Post
While it would be more work, bear in mind, it's certainly possible for someone who writes a module and has it rejected to simply re-stat it for LL or Osric and slap it up on Lulu or RPGNow.

Not as good as getting paid, but you could get something back.

If you're willing to do some marketing/networking, and it's GOOD, you stand a decent chance of making more than .03 cents a word. Might take a while and a few supporting releases, though.

Leif

Adventurer
I am really intrigued, interested, and happy about OSRIC and Swords & Wizardry both being retro-clones of OD&D! I've never had a chance to actually play either, but I really, really hope to do so.

Troll Lord

First Post
Shoe

So I have a concept that I am considering, but I wanted to know troll lord's thoughts on a game where the monsters are mostly good aligned... I want to use unicorns and centaurs as the primary encounters.

I think that could work. As long as there is something bad to kill. Also, when designing it, know this, a group of players somewhere will be running evil characters and will want to kill the unicorns. So make them formidable foes.

Davis

Frost

First Post
Posted some other resources to help with conversions on my blog a while back: link

I need to off my arse and complete some manuscripts and fire them in myself!

Remove ads