• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trolls: impossible to kill without fire or acid?

lukelightning

First Post
The way I read it, it's impossible to kill a troll if you don't have an ability that does fire or acid damage. In 3.5 you could do creative things like suffocating or strangling them after they are down (doing ability damage), but in 4e you can't.

So barring "making a bonfire while the rest of the party keeps whacking the troll down again and again and again" how does a party kill one if they lack fire/acid damage?

Boarstorm

First Post
Cut them into itty bitty pieces and run away before they regenerate?

Edit: In my experience it's unusual for a party to not be carrying around at least a torch.

lukelightning said:
The way I read it, it's impossible to kill a troll if you don't have an ability that does fire or acid damage. In 3.5 you could do creative things like suffocating or strangling them after they are down (doing ability damage), but in 4e you can't.
That's a feature, not a bug. ;) It was always a hoot in 1st/2nd edition to see the players furiously searching for the tinderbox whenever a troll arrived on the scene.

beeflv30

First Post
They seem easier to kill than they were in 3e. Since if they had 10 hp left a player could drop it with a well placed fire or acid spell. I like it better that way I always hated marking a trolls normal and fire/acid damage separately in 3e.

ZetaStriker

First Post
lukelightning said:
In 3.5 you could do creative things like suffocating or strangling them after they are down (doing ability damage), but in 4e you can't.

Suffocation never dealth ability damage. It made the victim continually attempt an easy Fort save, which got harder every round, to avoid immediately dropping to 0 hp, and then death, if I remember correctly. I once had a Wizard who drowned in 18 seconds, which is total bs from any kind of realistic perspective. >_<

Anyway, if you want to allow it, allow it. I don't see why a player can't choke someone in 4E. Have them start making death saves as if they were in negative hit points, or use 3.5's rules.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads