• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True Strike as a Swift Action

Dimwhit

Explorer
Does anyone know where the exact text is that changes True Strike to a Swift Action? I've looked all over and can't find it, but I know I read it somewhere.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
... I certainly hope that isn't the case.

True Strike is already frontloaded as all get out. Pretty much the only balance on it is that you have to give up a round before you can fire/cast.

--fje

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I don't think there is such text. It's a standard action to cast. If you want it to be a swift action use quicken spell (making it a level 5 slot).

Grogtar

First Post
I hope not. That spell is a nightmare of D&D balance and item creation.

And if your player is pulling somthing on you .. damn. Guys got guts. I could whisper the words "True Strike" and my DM would be on me like white on rice.

Dimwhit

Explorer
IcyCool said:
I've also never seen it changed to a swift action. Is one of your players trying to pull a fast one on you?
Nope. I would swear that I specifically read that text in one of the recent books. I thought it was the book that introduced the Swift action, but I can't find it.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
You might be thinking of a Quickened True Strike, which is now a swift action, rather than a free action that can be performed once a round.

Dimwhit

Explorer
Dr. Awkward said:
You might be thinking of a Quickened True Strike, which is now a swift action, rather than a free action that can be performed once a round.
Where does it mention the Quickened True Strike being a swift action? That could be it, but I'd have to read it to know for sure.

Dimwhit said:
Where does it mention the Quickened True Strike being a swift action? That could be it, but I'd have to read it to know for sure.

If it's mentioned at all, it's as an example.

A swift action is the name given to "like a free action, but only one per round," which is what the quicken feat does. The sidebars on swift and immediate actions are pretty standard fare in every expansion book since they were invented, so it wouldn't surprise my if it's shown up somewhere.

Swift and Immediate actions are now in the SRD, in the Psionics section, where it specifically mentions quickened powers.

SRD said:
Swift Action: A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions. In that regard, a swift action is like a free action. However, you can perform only a single swift action per turn, regardless of what other actions you take. You can take a swift action any time you would normally be allowed to take a free action. Swift actions usually involve psionics or the activation of psionic items; many characters (especially those who don’t use psionics) never have an opportunity to take a swift action.

Manifesting a quickened power is a swift action. In addition, manifesting any power with a casting time of 1 swift action is a swift action.

Manifesting a power with a manifesting time of 1 swift action does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads