Pathfinder 2E True Target (Spell)

gargoyleking

Adventurer
I came on a spell that seemed a bit underpowered for it's level even with the most generous interpretation. Still, true Target is a 1 action spell and that is always nice to have in this system. The thing that bothers me, is it seems like it would buff the entire party's ability to attack the target. The problem though, is that the actual wording of the spell seems to limit the advantages it provides to the very next attack that anyone makes against it(Friend or foe).

The new True Strike spell by comparison is amazing. But that's only taking up a 1st level spell slot. And can't be countered by an enemy shaman throwing a rock at their bbeg.

CapnZapp

Legend
Not sure what point you're making?

I read True Target to be True Strike for an ally.

Actually, if you cast True Target and then yourself zap that target, I read it to be identical to True Strike. Which might not be the best use of a level 7 slot, replicating a level 1 spell...

Last edited:

gargoyleking

Adventurer
(The first attack against the target.) So yes, I agree that it's intent was for at least one ally's use. But the wording is a fail. While it basically describes giving out all it's secrets of survival for the next round to everyone in range to do anything about it, only one attack gets the bonus. And any single one of your enemies could take the shot just to expend the utility of the spell.

"Oops, the goblin flunky stabbed it in the thigh gor 1d4-1 damage and now the spell's over."

CapnZapp

Legend
(The first attack against the target.) So yes, I agree that it's intent was for at least one ally's use. But the wording is a fail. While it basically describes giving out all it's secrets of survival for the next round to everyone in range to do anything about it, only one attack gets the bonus. And any single one of your enemies could take the shot just to expend the utility of the spell.

"Oops, the goblin flunky stabbed it in the thigh gor 1d4-1 damage and now the spell's over."
I believe the wording is immaculate. It's a True Strike, only not for yourself.

What you really want to say is that you don't like the spell.

PS. The goblin flunky likely is not your ally, unless he is, in which case you have only yourself to blame

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Look, I've been gaming for decades now. I can read a rule with the best of them, and this spell is; one, very poorly balanced even if it gives the bonus to everyone in your party; and two, worded in such a way that only one attack will gain the advantage and the attack could come from anywhere, enemies included. This is prime errata bait. Assuming that Paizo recognizes the issue and takes steps to correct it.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
It was supposed to say their not the. Mark Seifter confirmed it on the Paizo boards. It's 7th level. It's supposed to be powerful. Accuracy boosters are extremely powerful in this game. Many martials have strong attacks they can use to capitalize on moments like that.

CapnZapp

Legend
Look, I've been gaming for decades now. I can read a rule with the best of them, and this spell is; one, very poorly balanced even if it gives the bonus to everyone in your party; and two, worded in such a way that only one attack will gain the advantage and the attack could come from anywhere, enemies included. This is prime errata bait. Assuming that Paizo recognizes the issue and takes steps to correct it.
What?

The only person here claiming it gives the bonus to everyone is you.

To be blunt: you are having problems caused by your own misreading of the spell.

I have repeatedly said it's True Strike for an ally. If you don't like that, fine, but please stop trying to claim it's badly worded when you can't make the words fit your misconception.

Thanks

gargoyleking

Adventurer
You should try reading it for yourself if you're going to argue a point. In truth, no, it doesn't say anything about allies. The phrase used is 'Those around you'.

Remove ads