• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True20 Companion: Who's got it?

ConanMK

First Post
Relique du Madde said:
ONLY 75%? Damn.. Now that players can directly compare M&M characters to True20 characters (in terms of power) I would have expected that 75% to jump up to 80%.

Well it is probably more than 75%, but I wanted to give a low estimate so as to avoid anyone buying it and getting pissed at me because they thought it was less compatible than I said it was.

The actual percentage depends on how much of the book is devoted to M&M powers rather than skills and feats which can mostly be ported over directly.

jezter6

Explorer
The Noir book is probably 70% non-stat anyway, and what stats it DOES have pertains more to Supers (since it's built for M&M) than regular games anyway. Toss the stats, and the book is still pretty usable, IMHO.

Some of the feats should be portable (there's only like 6 of them anyways). The section on powers and what is and is NOT noir should go doubly so for adept powers, you just have extrapolate a little when reading it.

After looking through it, definately worth getting if GR doesn't put out anything Noir for True20.

Roudi

First Post
Got it, went straight to the Modern chapter, loved it.

I haven't checked out the rest of the book, but since modern gaming is my favourite, I think that chapter alone is worth the price of admission.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Roudi said:
Got it, went straight to the Modern chapter, loved it.

I haven't checked out the rest of the book, but since modern gaming is my favourite, I think that chapter alone is worth the price of admission.
Then you should be doubly pleased. According to the opinions I've seen, the modern chapter was the book's weakest one.

iwatt

First Post
ValhallaGH said:
Then you should be doubly pleased. According to the opinions I've seen, the modern chapter was the book's weakest one.

I don't think this is fair though. People who feel it's the wekest chapter were expecting it to cover a huge amount of additional genres (Western, Pulp, Noir, etc...) I think it covers the more important rules well enough.

My only beef with the modern chapter is that the equipment rules didn't come in the same system as the Sci-fi rules, so I have to figure out by myself the Invention DCs and the Craft DC checks. But this is just a minor beef.

jezter6

Explorer
iwatt said:
I don't think this is fair though. People who feel it's the wekest chapter were expecting it to cover a huge amount of additional genres (Western, Pulp, Noir, etc...) I think it covers the more important rules well enough.

My only beef with the modern chapter is that the equipment rules didn't come in the same system as the Sci-fi rules, so I have to figure out by myself the Invention DCs and the Craft DC checks. But this is just a minor beef.

I certainly wasn't EXPECTING this to cover any other genre. However, my only complaint was that it seemed very limited to Military and Law Enforcement/Espionage. No more. No less.

I certainly loved the book, and the modern chapter was very nice for it's limited scope. But add in that space and horror both cover modern as well, it certainly isn't as bad as it seems.

I think one of the great things about True20 is that, while not directly d20, it shares a lot of common elements that allow you to use other materials. IE: Don't like the equipment creation stuff, look into Blood and Circuits.

I am just happy there are more feats. I love feats. I need more feats.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
jezter6 said:
But add in that space and horror both cover modern as well, it certainly isn't as bad as it seems.

I think this bears repeating. For example, the horror chapter includes new backgrounds based on the d20 Modern starting occupations that can certainly be used in a non-horror campaign. The future chapter does the same with d20 Future starting occupations. The modern chapter includes all new backgrounds that are a little more "specialized".

All in all, I like this book and its approach. Good stuff :)

Roudi

First Post
ValhallaGH said:
I would know, I wrote almost half of it. Quite a bit was trimmed down and left out... there's way too much "modern" to cover in the space that was allotted.

ConanMK

First Post
Roudi said:
I would know, I wrote almost half of it. Quite a bit was trimmed down and left out... there's way too much "modern" to cover in the space that was allotted.

I think the same can be said for all four genre chapters. "Fantasy" is certainly a mammoth genre unto itself. "Space Adventure" may be more narrow in focus, but it required a massive ammount of mechanics that werent in the core.

I can't speak for Sean and Erica and their work on the Horror chapter, but I know almost a quarter of the original material I wrote for my two chapters got cut for space reasons.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads