D&D General truly strange psionic races trend

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Most people do. Or an Elf. Or a Dwarf. Or whatever.

But mechanically speaking D&D races are designed to be "Good" at specific classes. Dwarves as fighters and clerics, Half-Orcs as Barbarians and Fighters. Elves as Rogues and Wizards.

So they try and make a "Near Human" that is explicitly, specifically, good at being a Psionic character.

Problem with the core system design itself.
but the classic race have two classes whilst most psionic races have only one or only other psionic classes I think that is the error.
I mean, if you think cat people is just one thing, you don’t know enough about cats. There’s a lot more to them than fur, pointy ears and tails. I also strongly disagree that elves have longer lasting appeal than anthropomorphic animals.
I have never gotten animals nor people who like to play anthropomorphic versions but that is just likely me.
what is the lasting appeal of the cat people for example?

Steampunkette

A5e 3rd Party Publisher!
Supporter
but the classic race have two classes whilst most psionic races have only one or only other psionic classes I think that is the error.
The error is making races better at being specific classes as a central design conceit in the first place.

A5e overcame this error by putting attribute modifiers into background rather than race (heritage/culture).

Mind of tempest

The error is making races better at being specific classes as a central design conceit in the first place.

A5e overcame this error by putting attribute modifiers into background rather than race (heritage/culture).
I do not disagree with that but races loving classes helps show what matters to them.

to dwarves, war is fairly common and gods are essential

dragonborn love magic by personality and fighting for their ideals.

elves prefer stealth direct warfare and will change their environment by arcane force.
this show what matters to them to a degree and infers how their civilisations might develop.

Steampunkette

A5e 3rd Party Publisher!
Supporter
I do not disagree with that but races loving classes helps show what matters to them.

to dwarves, war is fairly common and gods are essential

dragonborn love magic by personality and fighting for their ideals.

elves prefer stealth direct warfare and will change their environment by arcane force.
this show what matters to them to a degree and infers how their civilisations might develop.
Have you seen A5e's culture setup?

Your different cultures give you benefits that mimic classes in certain ways. Like High Elf Culture.

High Elf culture gives you:
Cunning Diplomat. You can always choose to use Intelligence when making a Deception, Insight, Intimidation, or Persuasion check.

High Elf Education. You are proficient in Culture and one additional skill of your choice.

High Elf Weapon Training. You have proficiency with rapiers and longswords.

Magical Versatility. You know a cantrip of your choice, which can be chosen from any spell list. Your spellcasting ability score for this cantrip is Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma (whichever is highest).

Language. You can speak, read, write, and sign in Common, Elvish, and one other language.

But it doesn't make you a better Wizard than a human Wizard... especially since a Human can be raised in High Elf Culture. Like it still screams "I'M A WIZARD" and stuff, helps to establish your character in that regard, and if you go wizard increases your flexibility by offering an extra cantrip...

But it doesn't give you +2 Intelligence and make you the "Best Wizard" character.

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

Have you seen A5e's culture setup?

Your different cultures give you benefits that mimic classes in certain ways. Like High Elf Culture.

High Elf culture gives you:
Cunning Diplomat. You can always choose to use Intelligence when making a Deception, Insight, Intimidation, or Persuasion check.

High Elf Education. You are proficient in Culture and one additional skill of your choice.

High Elf Weapon Training. You have proficiency with rapiers and longswords.

Magical Versatility. You know a cantrip of your choice, which can be chosen from any spell list. Your spellcasting ability score for this cantrip is Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma (whichever is highest).

Language. You can speak, read, write, and sign in Common, Elvish, and one other language.

But it doesn't make you a better Wizard than a human Wizard... especially since a Human can be raised in High Elf Culture. Like it still screams "I'M A WIZARD" and stuff, helps to establish your character in that regard, and if you go wizard increases your flexibility by offering an extra cantrip...

But it doesn't give you +2 Intelligence and make you the "Best Wizard" character.
fair but it feels like it does not capture the other half of high elves which is a lot more sneaky.
wood elves feel more druid and ranger to me.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I think the thing is psionics don't have the strong fantasy history of the other tropes like wizards and warriors; it was Gary Gygax and Co. reading whatever they liked in 1975 and tossing it in (see: monk). So it winds up being an extra, added-on trope, for which you need to make separate ancestries of the monsters, since unlike wizardly or clerical magic it's supposed to be innate. (Or at least that was the thinking prior to 3rd ed with the sorceror--note that the wizard and cleric, the prior two iconic spellcasting classes, get their abilities by study or on loan from the gods. Ironically relatively democratic--with the 9 INT minimum you could theoretically teach over half the population first-level mage spells, though this is the Middle Ages so there is no printing press.)

Mind of tempest

innocently whistles

Lotsa cultures to choose from, too, to give to an elf or dwarf or whomever.

So much more customization by creating a simple layer for exponential growth of options.
what is the base setting for these anyway?
I think the thing is psionics don't have the strong fantasy history of the other tropes like wizards and warriors; it was Gary Gygax and Co. reading whatever they liked in 1975 and tossing it in (see: monk). So it winds up being an extra, added-on trope.
fairly true but let us face it not all fantasy had magic similar in anyway to arcane magic but certainly similar to psionic plus mindflayers are now iconic to dnd and they are psionic lovers
I feel they just need a race with better connections to the world with a decent aesthetic plus other reasons for it to be played.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads