• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trying out some indie RPGs...

Greg K

Legend
For anyone interested in the Cortex Plus Marvel game, the pdf has been marked down an additional 25% at RPGNow for the GM Day sale. During the sale its $9.94 instead of $12.99

Anyone play Spirit of the Century or its FATE descendants?

Lots of times. FATE is a lot of fun, and it's a very flexible system. It does require a fair bit of engagement by the players -- whereas a player in a normal D&D game could get by with a 'I swing my sword/cast magic missile' level of effort, that wouldn't really cut it in a FATE game. And I've seen some players have problems dealing with some of the levels of abstraction in the game.

But if you've got players that are interested in seeing their character as a collection of experiences and personality traits instead of just a collection of stats and gear, it's the game for it.

Wow, Olaf, that makes me sad. Gamma World is freakin' hilarious, and learning things makes me happy.

We have a weekend house con every year on our anniversary as an excuse to try new games. My friends run games where the one cardinal rule is "not D&D." Last year we ran 22 games over 5 time slots, in 16 different systems. Absurd amounts of fun.

Yeah, colour me confused, especially since Gamma World uses simplified 4E rules, which he has actually played several sessions previously! :erm:

Thankfully most of my other players don't seem to have the same issue. I've run Gamma World once before and it was great fun. Definitely a light hearted game, but a good time all the same.

I can't imagine not wanting to try new games. As this thread has shown, there's a whole heap of awesome games out there to try, and we're probably only scratching the surface of them here.

If I had the free time to play once a week I think I would try and have a regular D&D campaign once a fortnight, and use the other fortnightly sessions to run short campaigns of all the other different games that I never get the chance to run/play.

Olaf the Stout

Jhaelen

First Post
I can't imagine not wanting to try new games. As this thread has shown, there's a whole heap of awesome games out there to try, and we're probably only scratching the surface of them here.
I'm inclined to agree, since I love reading (& trying out) new systems, but I know lots of players who refuse to play anything they don't know (or isn't their favorite system). Their loss...

Remove ads