Trying out some indie RPGs...

kitsune9

Adventurer
I
Feng Shui - not sure if this is truly Indie, since Atlas Games is pretty big, but it has appeal

I loved Feng Shui, but dump the "future" aspects of it and either run a traditional wuxia game or mix it with Hard Boiled or A Better Tomorrow-style games. I played this at a con and loved it.

JohnH

First Post
I got a chance to play Fear Itself a few months ago that was really fun. It's d6 based (gumshoe) and fairly rules light. Here's the synopsis.

Fear Itself plunges ordinary people into a disturbing contemporary world of madness and violence. Players take the roles of regular folks much like themselves, who are inexorably drawn into confrontation with the creatures of the Outer Black, an unearthly realm of alien menace. With or without its distinctive mythology, GMs can use it to replicate the shudders and shocks of the horror genre in both film and literature.

I loved Feng Shui, but dump the "future" aspects of it and either run a traditional wuxia game or mix it with Hard Boiled or A Better Tomorrow-style games. I played this at a con and loved it.

I think the whole semi-time travel aspect works well if you're looking to play a campaign.

If you're running a one-shot for a convention or something similar then an action movie type plot is definitely the way to go. Everyone should be able to understand what you're aiming for so you can spend less time explaining the game and more time one-upping each other with off-the-wall stunts! :D

Olaf the Stout

Greg K

Legend
Dread – horror RPG using Jenga
I like the version with dice Correction: Was given wrong information. Not the same game.

Any suggestions for games that are a "must try"?

Lady Blackbird (One Seven Design): very heavy Firefly vibe and it is free

Dread: The First Pandemonium (Neoplastic): Critically acclaimed d12 based splatterpunk rpg and free at RPGNow. Demons are invading our world and down on their luck individuals that have hit near rock bottom are granted supernatural gifts and trained to hunt them down (but not everything is as it seems).

Spite: The Second Book of Pandemonium (Neoplastic): you are supernatural warriors hunting down angels bent on destroying the world.

Little Fears: Nightmare Edition (Funsized Games)

Barbarians of Lemuria (Beyond Belief Games): There is a free version that was, originally, released by the author. You may have to do a web search.

Warrior Rogue Mage (Stargazer): another free fantasy game. A little too light for my tastes, but, definitely, downloading for a look.

I have not seen the following, but a friend of mine has written reviews for most of them (He will only write reviews for games that he likes) and I have provided links to the reviews where applicable.

Cartoon Action Hour: Season 2 (Spectrum Games): if you like 80's Action Cartoons like GI Joe, MASK. (No link, but he gave it a 5/5 at RPGNow)

Slasher Flick (Spectrum Games)

Crime Network (Bedrock Games): play mobsters

Horror Show (Bedrock Games)

Terror Network (Bedrock Games): counter terrorism

Part-Time Gods (Third Eye Games)

Wu Xing: The Ninja Crusade (Third Eye Games): if you like Avatar, Naruto, etc.

The following Cortex + games from Margaret Weis have a very heavy indie influence and have been labeled as stealth indie design by many of their fans:

Smallville: I own this. It looks like an awesome game. I wish that I thought that I could get my own players to get through the Relationship building stage in which the group builds their characters and assign relationships.
Leverage
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Game

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
I realize indie rpg can mean different things to different folk. We aren't indie in the forge or storygames sense, but I would like to suggest our own (Bedrock Games) books to the OP: Terror Network, Crime Network, Horror Show and (hopefully next month) Servants of Gaius. Just be aware our games are more traditional RPGs.

I have not had the pleasure of seeing them (missed the Avalon Games sale by a week when i had the extra money). However, I had included all three in my reply and provided links to reviews by Tommy Brownell.

Fiasco, and it's other versions, is (are) excellent at exploring the tropes of each genre. You could do the "team version" you suggest, or not. Up to you.

I'll also put forward "Don't Rest Your Head" and "Don't Lose Your Mind" which are good thriller style horror games.

Another fun/unusual game is Shab al hiri Roach in which a sentient roach is tempting profesors trying to get tenure. Its a bit Cthulu and a bit lighthearted. This is more of a one-shot than some of the others.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Important tip for Feng Shui: normally attack and defense use the same stat. For named NPCs, decouple these so that you can lower defense 2-3 points below the NPC's Shooting or Martial Arts skill. If you don't do this, PCs have a lot of trouble hitting and damaging a worthy foe, and boss battles generally continue until the GM gets bored. Other than that? A fantastic game.

Another non-Indy game that everyone should try at least once: Paranoia.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Edit: Also, Burning Wheel looks fascinating, but I haven't got around to playing it yet.

BW is excellent, but doesn't fit the "lighter than 3E/4E" bit in the OP. It might be slightly lighter or heavier depending on how you look at it, but it is definitely in the same band.

For an excellent, lighter way to get some experience with the BW family, try Mouse Guard.

Remove ads