D&D 5E Trying to Flesh Out the 5E PHB: Not Easy!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
So, I decided to tryo to come up with my own version of what I think the D&D Next Player's Handbook might look like. For this example, I've only included 5 races and 4 classes since I don't want to complicate it too much. I put this together based on some of the discussions I've read and participated in. Trying to build a modular PHB is a bit of pain and I've only scratched the surface.

Still, it was an interesting exercise. I'm beginning to understand what is going to need to be done by the designers if the game is going to truly be modular.

Let me know what you all think. And feel free to tear it all apart and make suggestions. What do you like? what do you hate? Etc.

Knightfall's Theorectical D&DN Player's Handbook (First Draft)

Abilities

Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Intelligence
Wisdom
Charisma

Stat Generation: Die Roll or Point Buy (what else?)

Stat Range: 3 to 18 is core.

Optional Ability Types: Comeliness (foolish_mortals)

Races

Which Races (Yes or No?): Gnome (No?).

Dwarf
Enduring
+2 Con

Elf
Quick
+2 Dex OR +2 Cha

Gnome [???]
Tinkerer
+2 Int

Halfling
Lucky
+2 Cha OR +2 Dex

Human
Adaptable
+2 Any one ability

Concerning abilities, I hope they finally ditch this "only even scores matter" system, and hence the +2/-2 racial adjustments. Even more, I'd like to see 4e-style +2/no penalty for demi-humans, and freebie +2 for humans gone, as it contributes significantly to the ability creep. (Tilenas)

Negative Modifiers: An optional choice for those that prefer pre-4e.

Classes

Cleric
Power Source: Divine
Core Abilites: Prayers, Turn Undead
Skills Module: Faith focus
Feats Module: Divine Feats, Magic Item Crafting

Fighter
Power Source: Martial
Core Abilities: Stunts, Unrestricted Arms and Armor
Skills Module: Crafting focus
Feats Module: Stunt Feats, Weaponry Feats

Rogue
Power Source: Luck
Core Abilities: Talents, Hidden Strike (a new name for Backstab/Sneak Attack)
Skills Module: Thievery focus
Feats Module: Talent Feats, Skill Feats

Wizard
Power Source: Arcane
Core Abilities: Spells, Familiar
Skills Module: Magecraft focus
Feats Module: Arcane Feats, Magic Item Crafting

Which Other Classes?: the Ranger and the Bard - and I may even suggest a full 10-13) (TrippyHippy); seeing Paladins as an option for fighter, and rangers for the Rouge [sic] class (Raith5)

Level Range: This is tough. Some people want 10 levels, some want 20, and some want 30. Based on the Epic thread, most would be willing to leave Epic out of the core. So, I'll split the difference between 10 and 20 and go with 15. How many campaigns go higher than that?

The higher levels (16 to 30) would be saves for Advanced Player's Handbook (or Epic-Level Handbook).

Level Progression: A touchy subject. Should there be one progression chart for all the classes or should progression be based on type of class or perhaps power source.

Any sort of alternate THAC0-like progression modules should be presented in an appendix. But old schoolers will want the option of referencing charts (I assume).

Multiclassing would be optional.

Would include an option for creating PCs using a character's race as his class. Would be a form of multiclassing. (This might be better suited to the DMG. A full section on how to create classes for nonstandard races and monsters.)

Skills (Optional)

Tied directly to ability scores. In the core, there are no skills. All checks and saves are made through ability checks.

1st Module: Simple skills useful while adventuring. Point/level based on class selection. Cleric: 2; Fighter: 1; Rogue: 4; Wizard: 3.

2nd Module: The best aspects of 3e and 4e combined. Skill challenges could come in at this level or be another optional module.

Feats (Optional)

Requirements based on ability scores, race, or class. Don't tie directly to skills in case someone wants to use them without the skill module.

Alignment (Optional)

Six main aspects of alignment: Good, Evil, Lawful, Chaotic, Neutral, and Unaligned. Each DM builds the alignment system he or she wants by combining the various aspects or by simply selecting a few to become the alignments in his or her game.

EG. Imagine this type of game: Lawful Good, Chaotic Good, Lawful Evil, Chaotic Evil, Unaligned.

Alignments are not tied directly to races, classes, monsters, powers, etc.

Should the classic 9 alignments be core?

Combat

To hit: Roll a d20, modifiers based on modular complexity.

AC: Armor class can scale up or down depending on the DM's preference. Optional rule for making AC a defense-like save.

Optional rules for using armor as damage reduction. (MortalPlague)

Saves: In the core, based on ability checks. More complicated modules allow for the Ref/Fort/Will split or the older 1e/2e options.

Advanced Combat Tactics are optional. The DM has the option to simply use ability checks for things like grapple.

Any other ideas???

Powers [or Class Abilities, if you prefer]

Each class would have one or two iconic class abilities. All other options are modular depending on the DM's style of game.

The use of 4E "power sources" would be optional.

Arcane: The iconic D&D arcane spells.

Divine: The iconic D&D divine prayers.

Luck: Special talents for rogues and other clandestine archetypes

Martial: Special stunts for fighters and other martial archetypes

Themes (Optional)

While the name is based on the 4E equivalent, this section would combine the best aspects of prestige class advancement with 4e paragon paths in a reworked theme structure. Themes would likely have to be tied to powers.

Maybe in the DMG or saved for a separate sourcebook.

Magic

Schools of Magic?

Should Vancian magic be the core option? What about spell points? Or 4E's system?

Magic Items

In the core game, magic items are unique and PCs do not have the option to craft them. (Too restrictive.)

Higher modules: Basic items could be crafted. Uses Common, Uncommon, Rare item structure. Special magical items exist that cannot be crafted or that requires a quest. Artifacts exist above this level.

Last edited:

I think, for starters, you need to flick the Power types. This isn't meant to antagonise 4E fans, but flatly, Roles and Power Sources I'd like to see gone, gone, gone. A rudimentary skill list (20 Skills) would be fine, and the 'power' options in-built to the Class descriptions (chosen at different levels). The Vancian magic list would be back.

I don't see the need for any additional Abilities, could do without the Gnome, and would probably include more Classes if anything (at least, say, the Ranger and the Bard - and I may even suggest a full 10-13).

I'd revert back to the full nine Alignments - some people don't like them, but to me they are pretty iconic, and not really improved upon by editing them down some.

I guess if you are going to make a list of classes, it would be best to have complete levels for each of them- unless you have a plan to do more core rules at higher levels. It could work I suppose. I'm perfectly happy to have both Multiclassing and Prestige Classes return, but they needn't be in the Core book.

I wouldn't call it the 'Players Handbook' anymore. I would call it the Core Rules, and for all intents it could be played as a complete game out of the box (minus all the extras).

Raith5

Adventurer
I like this proposal but I agree with TrippyHippy roles need to be minimal/guidelines and power sources just confuse things. I could also live without the Gnome.

I also think the minimal alignment system of 4th could be the baseline with 9 alignment axis being that further level of modularity.

One further form of modularity is that of some more specific classes: ie seeing Paladins as an option for fighter, and rangers for the Rouge class, for eg.

foolish_mortals

First Post
they used to have a comeliness score in unearthed arcana(1rst edition) that was kinda cool. Cavaliers could improve all their abilities with each level as well. That was pretty radical in those days, still is today.

foolish_mortals

Ferrous

First Post
Yup, I don't think that power sources add a lot to the game. They are definately not a "must have" or core. Also Gnomes are not that necessary.

The stat modifiers are not great either as Humans are obviously just better. Also a bonus to Dex is better for sneaky, small Halflings. Indeed Halfling used to get a maximum Charisma less than 18, the bonus to Charisma is another 4th edition artefact.

I understand why you have done this to differentiate Elves from Halflings. However I think you would be better served by giving the Elves the Charisma bonus to back up the beauty and presence that most of the in game fluff calls on but has never really been mechanically addressed. Indeed in this way Elves are better as spontaneous casters like Sorcerors or Fighter/Magic users like Bards (which also echoes their supposed love of music).

Anyway I think that this highlights a few of the problems the designers face.

Tilenas

Explorer
Concerning abilities, I hope they finally ditch this "only even scores matter" system, and hence the +2/-2 racial adjustments. Even more, I'd like to see 4e-style +2/no penalty for demi-humans, and freebie +2 for humans gone, as it contributes significantly to the ability creep. Other than that, I could pretty much live with the content you propose, even though some of it is highly unlikely (such as the 15-level-span).

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I'm not sure you should pigeonhole or stereotype races like that.

Like Elves - I would say they are Graceful, or Mysterious, or Lordly (in all honesty, "Quick" is not something that makes me think of elf). And perhaps allow the modifier to fit the one that best fits the elf in question.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The stat modifiers are not great either as Humans are obviously just better. Also a bonus to Dex is better for sneaky, small Halflings. Indeed Halfling used to get a maximum Charisma less than 18, the bonus to Charisma is another 4th edition artefact.

I understand why you have done this to differentiate Elves from Halflings. However I think you would be better served by giving the Elves the Charisma bonus to back up the beauty and presence that most of the in game fluff calls on but has never really been mechanically addressed. Indeed in this way Elves are better as spontaneous casters like Sorcerors or Fighter/Magic users like Bards (which also echoes their supposed love of music).
Regarding the stat modifiers for the elf and halfling, I thought about it after I posted it and realized that its easy to see it the other way around. Halflings have always been fleet of foot while elves are seen as beautiful as well as graceful.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Concerning abilities, I hope they finally ditch this "only even scores matter" system, and hence the +2/-2 racial adjustments. Even more, I'd like to see 4e-style +2/no penalty for demi-humans, and freebie +2 for humans gone, as it contributes significantly to the ability creep. Other than that, I could pretty much live with the content you propose, even though some of it is highly unlikely (such as the 15-level-span).
Do you feel it would it be okay to have attribute modifiers as an optional rule for each race?

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the game allowed for me to assign my own choices for attribute modifiers so that I choose to have negative modifiers as well as positive ones.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases