• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tuesday May 29 Happy Fun Hour with Mike Mearls - more psionics!

lkj

Hero
Is there a transcript?

Oh my. That would be a hellacious transcript to read. He runs it really free form. Does the design as he goes. Stops at random to answer chat questions. Goes on tangents. It's very fun (and informative) to listen to and watch, but it would take some serious editing to turn into a nice to read transcript.

Or so it seems to me.

AD

dave2008

Legend
How can anyone be impressed with the glacial pace of content?

Personally I love it. If anything it is going to fast for me! With the current pace it gives me time and room to tinker with a whole host of ideas without much worry it will be sidelined by "official" content. And my players are still on their first 5e characters (and we switched when 5e came out), so I can't imaging getting through all the material that is already available.

So I guess, I am impressed by their restraint, if not their productivity ;)

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Happy Fun Hour is an hour long....../sob

I read much faster...oh well, I agree its not something to make a transcript of.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
So far, I am happy with where Mearls is heading with psionics.

• Both psionic subclasses, plus a dedicated mystic class.
• Shared psionic spell list.
• Psionic magic is as different from arcane and divine, as arcane and divine are from each other.

One thing I want to see is, psionic telekinesis can manipulate liquids and gasses. Conceptually this is important.

I'm pretty sure the Psychic Warrior and Soul Knife are supposed to be like the Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster. A subclass for a martial that dips into the flavor and powerset of the main class, in this case the Mystic.

What I want to see, for my own amusement at least, is a Barbarian with some Mystic fun bits. I don't completely know how it would work, but it could be really fun, and that's what matters.

Do you want a real answer, or is that a rhetorical question, or did you just want agreement? I mean, I can pat you on the back if that's what you're looking for, but there are in fact people impressed with the pace of content, they have genuine reasons for their being happy with that pace, and I and others are willing to talk about that if you're willing to listen. You up for that conversation, or was that a rhetorical question because you've made up your mind about other people's views on that topic?

To quote a man who has done more game design than anyone in this thread has done combined “A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.”

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm pretty sure the Psychic Warrior and Soul Knife are supposed to be like the Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster. A subclass for a martial that dips into the flavor and powerset of the main class, in this case the Mystic.
I hope they don't just make these two pick bits of the Mystic's "spell" list.

That would make the Psychic Warrior too similar to the Eldritch Knight for my liking. As well as making it "a fighter with spells, only psionic".

Again the Paladin vs the Fighter/Cleric.

What's fun is when each archetype is not only distinct in fluff, but crunch too.

A Psychic Warrior should be its own thing. With abilities not available to either Fighter or Mystic.

Just like the Paladin gets stuff neither Cleric nor Fighter can do.

Likewise for Soulknife. It should not just be a Psionic Trickster. At the very least, it should have Hexblade:ish powers.

CapnZapp

Legend
Psychic Warrior (Fighter)

Ah thanks.

The front-loaded-ness is not a major concern for me at this stage. If they say multiclass balancing comes later, I take their word for it.

I like how it gets "psychic smites". I dislike how it gets picks from a general psionics spell list. (Though much like the Paladin, most spells are wasted since converting them into smites is more expedient). I would've wanted it to gain unique spells not available to Psions, much like Paladins.

Though I guess if the vampiric claws spells are there, that's good enough (since melee spells are generally wasted on a fragile caster anyway)

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
So he redid some of his subclasses that he calls psychic subclasses. Here's a link to all 3:

Soul Knife (Monk)
Mentalist (Wizard)

Not my work, some guy on reddit named Malinhion did it. That Mentalist should totally have been a sorcerer and that fighter archetype is so front loaded that a Bladesinger 17 with 3 Psychic Warrior would be insane.

This is perfect! Thank you for the links!

Now all I need to do is rearrange and modify just a few of the sub-class features, and my quasi-Dark Sun home setting will have psionics that I am satisfied with!

gyor

Legend
So he redid some of his subclasses that he calls psychic subclasses. Here's a link to all 3:

Soul Knife (Monk)
Mentalist (Wizard)

Not my work, some guy on reddit named Malinhion did it. That Mentalist should totally have been a sorcerer and that fighter archetype is so front loaded that a Bladesinger 17 with 3 Psychic Warrior would be insane.

I'd make the Psionic Sorcerer a Aberration/Mindflayer Origin.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads