D&D 5E Turn into vampire with wish?

Norkir the monk

First Post
so I'm a 10 level monk and I'm trying to turn into a vampire with wish because i want to be able to buff my movement speed and attacks. can i turn into a vampire with the wish spell? (we are currently at Candle Keep with a spell scroll of wish)

Dausuul

Legend
so I'm a 10 level monk and I'm trying to turn into a vampire with wish because i want to be able to buff my movement speed and attacks. can i turn into a vampire with the wish spell? (we are currently at Candle Keep with a spell scroll of wish)
That is not covered under any of the listed options for wish, so you're falling back on this clause:

You might be able to achieve something beyond the scope of the above examples. State your wish to the DM as precisely as possible. The DM has great latitude in ruling what occurs in such an instance; the greater the wish, the greater the likelihood that something goes wrong.

I would not try this if I were you. Giving your character the powers of a vampire, permanently, is really pushing it here. Best case, the DM simply says no. The worst case depends on how you word your wish, but a creative DM can mess you up very badly.

Oofta

Legend
Ask your DM. I wouldn't allow it for multiple reasons. Primarily because you want a permanent power increase for a one time spell and wish just isn't that powerful. I personally would enforce all of the penalties a vampire has, you have to drink blood to survive. In addition, you follow the normal transference to the undead - you can no longer be healed as an example. For that matter it's an open question on whether you even remember your past life as a monk much less retain your monk abilities because you've so radically changed.

But maybe your DM will have fun with it. Asking people here isn't going to give you any answers that matter at your table.

Sure. Since you are wording the spell, you could probably even "tailor" your undead condition to be more unique. Be able to walk about during the day with minimized powers, perhaps, or other variations on the vampire myth.

Ask your DM. I wouldn't allow it for multiple reasons. Primarily because you want a permanent power increase for a one time spell and wish just isn't that powerful. I personally would enforce all of the penalties a vampire has, you have to drink blood to survive. In addition, you follow the normal transference to the undead - you can no longer be healed as an example. For that matter it's an open question on whether you even remember your past life as a monk much less retain your monk abilities because you've so radically changed.

But maybe your DM will have fun with it. Asking people here isn't going to give you any answers that matter at your table.
Presumably the character will need that power up, since the rest of the party will abandon it (either from moral objections, or the impracticality of adventuring only at night, remaining within range of a coffin, only being able to pillage monster lairs if expressly invited in, can't cross running water etc. - assuming any of that applies to 5th edition vampires) or attempt to kill it and take its stuff.

It would seriously affect the way the campaign plays out, so I'd suggest getting the agreement of the other players as well as the DM.

Remove ads