D&D 5E Turn into vampire with wish?

I'd say "That wish is going to screw your character over hard if you make it. There is no scenario where you just get vampire powers and carry on like normal. Do you want to proceed?"
I mean, if they are noob, sure, warn them.

But if it’s not their first rodeo, they should be aware of how wishes work not just in X version of D&D rules, but pretty much all of fantasy.

I would allow it to “work”, but with consequence.

”Yes, and” isn’t just good for improv.

jgsugden

Legend
As a DM, I'd allow the wish. Once executed, your PC would become a Lawful Evil NPC, and you'd be free to add a new PC. I'd give the PC the opportunity to learn that this wish could fundamentally change them before they did it (although they might not discover that information if they charge ahead blindly).

I do not see this as a punishent, by the way, but as a conclusion to a character's story. Many PCs never get to have that conclusion to their PC's story where they retire or die... so many PCs fade away. Conclusions for a PC that are neither death (although this sort of is) nor retirement give you that sense of completion which players - over the LONG TERM - tend to appreciate (although the short term responses can be less happy).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
so I'm a 10 level monk and I'm trying to turn into a vampire with wish because i want to be able to buff my movement speed and attacks. can i turn into a vampire with the wish spell? (we are currently at Candle Keep with a spell scroll of wish)
If you just want to buff your movement and your attacks, you don't need to burn a wish. (Or kill your character, by turning it into an undead monster.) You could just work with your DM to let you build or find a magic item that gives you those buffs. Off the top of my head, I'd take the Cloak of the Bat from the DMG, add a couple of features to it, and then make it legendary. Maybe something like this?

Cloak of Nosferatu
Wondrous Item (legendary, requires attunement)
This item functions as a cloak of the bat, except as noted here:
  • You do not need to grip the edges of the cloak to fly.
  • You gain a bite attack that deals (1d6+Str modifier) piercing damage to a living target. If that target is incapacitated, grappled, or restrained, the bite deals an additional 3d6 necrotic damage and you recover hit points equal to this necrotic damage.
  • While attuned to this cloak, your movement rate cannot be less than 40 feet.
Ask your DM about it. Turning into a vampire is a bad deal for your character.

Remove ads