D&D 5E Turn into vampire with wish?

Dausuul

Legend
Would no one just have the spell not work or just say no if they're so concerned about the vampire PC?
I'd say "That wish is going to screw your character over hard if you make it. There is no scenario where you just get vampire powers and carry on like normal. Do you want to proceed?"

I have enough old-school in me that I want the "wish gone bad" to be a thing in the game world. But I don't want to "gotcha" the player. If the player wants to roleplay the consequences of a wish gone bad, I will try to come up with a fiendish but fun interpretation that provides some cool story hooks.

If they just want a huge free power boost, I'll let them know that's not happening, and they should scale back the ask to, say, a magic item of comparable power to a 9th-level spell scroll.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
What @Dausuul said. I'd make it clear to the player that the consequences of becoming a Vampire mean NPCdom for their character, but would promise to make it -really cool- for them...

If you still wanted to go through with it, I'd tell you to roll up a new character at the same level as your character while I prepare the new encounter for the party to fight a level 10 Monk Vampire, and come up with a brief "In Media Res" explanation of how they got there.

The effect would be a partial retcon of the story where the Monkpire was always one of their enemies and the new character you just made was "Always" with the party, in the monkpire's place.

I'd say "That wish is going to screw your character over hard if you make it. There is no scenario where you just get vampire powers and carry on like normal. Do you want to proceed?"

I have enough old-school in me that I want the "wish gone bad" to be a thing in the game world. But I don't want to "gotcha" the player. If the player wants to roleplay the consequences of a wish gone bad, I will try to come up with a fiendish but fun interpretation that provides some cool story hooks.

If they just want a huge free power boost, I'll let them know that's not happening, and they should scale back the ask to, say, a magic item of comparable power to a 9th-level spell scroll.
I don't think you need a 'wish gone bad'. Someone is wishing to be a vampire. I can't see that being a good outcome even if one gets exactly what they want.

But why waste a wish. Go to the local Scourge of Vampires. Visit them in their lair. Get turned. Easy.

The lesson here is to just never interact with Wish in D&D.
Often, yes.

However, one time when we were adventuring and the party gained a ring of wishes I went to a sage and dropped off some arbitrary amount of gold. I asked for a "Get out of Jail Free" wish. If things when completely awry, we had a wording that would completely heal the party or stabilize the party and safely teleport us to one of our houses.

That worked out well.

Norkir the monk

First Post
That is not covered under any of the listed options for wish, so you're falling back on this clause:

You might be able to achieve something beyond the scope of the above examples. State your wish to the DM as precisely as possible. The DM has great latitude in ruling what occurs in such an instance; the greater the wish, the greater the likelihood that something goes wrong.

I would not try this if I were you. Giving your character the powers of a vampire, permanently, is really pushing it here. Best case, the DM simply says no. The worst case depends on how you word your wish, but a creative DM can mess you up very badly.
Thanks for the reply I didn't need to use a wish in the end I was bitten by a vampire and now I'm cursed. my DM did not know I wanted to become a vampire so he treated it like a class getting ability's every level.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I just don't see the attraction to ruining the escapism and literal wish fulfillment of Wish in particular. What should be the ultimate reward and capstone power is just a ticket to stress and suffering.

I just don’t see the attraction in letting the player violate the rules of the Wish spell with zero repercussions.

Different strokes, I suppose.

As DM, I would let you think it didn’t work, and then soon after have a vampire attack you, and see what happens. No preconceived outcomes or railroading, but you get your wish - or at least a chance for it.

Then your PC becomes a vampire with all the problems of that, including Chaotic Evil alignment, the need to drink blood, killed by sunlight, harmed instead of healed by healing spells, repelled or burned by holy symbols and garlic, no reflection, the whole 9 yards of vampire lore. You’ll be feared and hunted if your secret becomes known.

I’ve watched enough “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” to think it’s an interesting turn for the campaign - not a free power up.

Be careful what you wish for is as classic as fantasy gets. Monkey’s paw indeed, as someone else said. Simpson’s Halloween episode time when Wishes start.

Last edited:

Remove ads