D&D 5E Turning a boring trap into an exciting encounter.

Celebrim

Legend
Please stop this horrid line of argument. Move over to a martial arts website to argue it.

I'm not even sure what you think my line of argument is, any more than I'm sure what psychohipps thinks my assessment of the maneuver actually was.

I assure you though my line of argument had little or nothing to do with martial arts, and I've no real interest in discussing the application of martial arts expertise to GMing if that is worrying you. Indeed, if you'd read the 10:03 AM post you'll see that martial arts realism doesn't have much to do with my actual line of argument, which was about combat not having different fictional positioning than other events in a RPG. That is my actual line of argument, illustrated by example.

Someone wanted to frankly tell me that in his expert opinion, my scene from the combat between a sidhe, a hippogriff, and a 15' tall howdah topped undead war machine wasn't realistic enough.. or something else not specified. Shudder to think I've overlooked some gritty detail in the fictional positioning of a fairy nursemaid turned assassin stabbing a military construct sewn together from desperate body parts. Supposedly, something to do with the fairy not being well enough trained when in "bad breath range", but I wonder if he's overlooked that the opponent wasn't capable of breath. Or the fact that he's set about to disagree with something without having the slightest notion what he's disagreeing about, since he hasn't a clue really what rules I employ or whether the effect I'm going for is a gritty MMA simulation. He'd probably be even more furious to learn that technically, two unarmed human fighters can't even use the clinch maneuver under my rules.

I'm therefore certain discussing this at a MMA website - even if I was remotely inclined to do so - would be even more unprofitable.

one of the most nasty traps I used is the following :

A tilting floor in a corridor that dropped the players in a room below it.
The floor of the room they where dropped in was covered in 2 inches of flammable oil.
And there was a stone golem made from flint in the room.
Meaning all attacks with steal weapons would create sparks and set the room on fire.

Remove ads