D&D 5E Turning Playgrounds into Lairs

I really like the idea of turning a playground into an encounter where you fight the big bad.

How would you do mechanically things like.

1. fun slides
2. swings.
3. raised platforms

4. anything else you can think of.

bonus points if one park from the link particularly grabs you as a possible opportunity.

I'd to the Old School playground.

Metal slides with 2d6 burn damage.
Merry go Rounds you can fall off of and get hurt for 2d6 damage
Monkey Bars you can fall off of and get hurt for 2d6 damage
Chain link cloth fabric swings interwoven with metal strands that stick right up and poke you for 1d6 damage

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I'd to the Old School playground.

Metal slides with 2d6 burn damage.
Merry go Rounds you can fall off of and get hurt for 2d6 damage
Monkey Bars you can fall off of and get hurt for 2d6 damage
Chain link cloth fabric swings interwoven with metal strands that stick right up and poke you for 1d6 damage
So... the average kindergartner has 100 hp or so?
* thinks back to elementary school's black eyes, scraped knees, and busted teeth *
Yeah, that computes.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Fun slides might work by reskinning teleport squares.

For raised platforms, an easy thing is just adv on attacks from the higher ground.

It'd be interesting to work swings into movement somehow, but I can't think how to integrate them into the initiative structure?

Similarly, it'd be fun to work out a way to do something with see-saws, where one character hops on one end to propel another character upward, perhaps to reach a higher platform. But again, I can't think of an intuitive mechanic to do that in 5e.

Spray pad/water features could be based on random geyser effects (could cause damage if hot/acid/etc, or maybe just knock prone), and/or cause slippery ground (like the grease spell).

Monkey bars to cross chasm, just a reskinned bridge but requires an athletics check. Oh and maybe an athletics check if you want to try to cast a spell while hanging?

BookTenTiger

He / Him

I really like the idea of turning a playground into an encounter where you fight the big bad.

How would you do mechanically things like.

1. fun slides
2. swings.
3. raised platforms

4. anything else you can think of.

bonus points if one park from the link particularly grabs you as a possible opportunity.
This reminds me of the RPG Feng Shui, which, if I recall correctly, suggested creating a list of bullet points of wacky things that could happen in a fight scene. For example, if the scene was a junkyard, then someone should get hit by a wrecking ball, a big magnet should pick up and drop cars, there should be a junk avalanche, etc.

In 5e some of those could be lair actions, or even lair reactions!

So... the average kindergartner has 100 hp or so?
* thinks back to elementary school's black eyes, scraped knees, and busted teeth *
Yeah, that computes.
Old School was tough :)

Oh, and no computers in Old School...just a ruler and a compass(the kind with the sharp metal spike, you know to hold the paper down when you drew a circle).

Remove ads