TV/Stereo problem

RichCsigs

First Post
So my friend is having an electronic problem between his tv and stereo and I was wondering if you people could give us an answer.

He has his stereo, tv, laptop & X-Box all hooked up together and he runs the sound for all the devices through his stereo. Everything works fine except for when he has his TV on. Then there is a feedback buzzing sound coming through the speakers. It doesn't happen with the X-Box or the laptop, just the TV. Anyone have any idea why?

Oh, he's had this TV for a few months now and this problem has just started tonight. It was working fine before.

Rackhir

Explorer
So my friend is having an electronic problem between his tv and stereo and I was wondering if you people could give us an answer.

He has his stereo, tv, laptop & X-Box all hooked up together and he runs the sound for all the devices through his stereo. Everything works fine except for when he has his TV on. Then there is a feedback buzzing sound coming through the speakers. It doesn't happen with the X-Box or the laptop, just the TV. Anyone have any idea why?

Oh, he's had this TV for a few months now and this problem has just started tonight. It was working fine before.

Buzzing sounds are typically some sort of a ground fault. Try disconnecting stuff one at a time until you can get the problem to go away. Also try plugging stuff into a different circuit and wall socket. Let us know if you can track it down to one element.

Last edited:

Banshee16

First Post
Did he move around any components? Bump the TV stand, push something closer to the wall? It's possible that a wire has been dislodged...I've had that happen before...hook everything up, push the stand back against the wall, and then something stops working. Pull it out, and figure out that I connected a wire incorrectly, or I connected one correctly, but it became disconnected while I was pushing the stand back.

Check that, and check to make sure everything is connected where it's supposed to be.

Banshee

Buzzing sounds are typically some sort of a ground fault. Try disconnecting stuff one at a time until you can get the problem to go away. Also try plugging stuff into a different circuit and wall socket. Let us know if you can track it down to one element.

Yep, a buzz is a sure sign of a ground-loop. If the TV is not a digital tv or if your friend is using an analog antenna then the problem is most likely is reception.

If it isn't already, make sure everything is hooked up to a grounded power strip with a circuit breaker in it, that should clear up any loops, also, make sure there isn't a bare connector cord crossing an open electrical connection, that will not only give you feedback, but could lead to a shock or possibly some burned out equipment.

Hope this helps.
Eric Stearns
Seat of the Pants Productions
Audio engineer/producer

Remove ads