Two Cities of Brass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eosin the Red

First Post
Melan said:
As for opinion - I have one, but since it isn't exactly well informed (all I have is cryptic e-mails, cryptic posts and cryptic rebuttals), I am keeping it to myself. I would encourage other people to do the same.

On the subject of publishing two cities - I make no opinions but on this:

Have you not heard the news? Stranger things are afoot besides message posting, and likely even before these ocurred!

Robilar

I cannot speak on this further as other routines beckon me. Let me just say that my Royal Messengers are enroute and I will make an announcement of their successes when they return from the Steppes.

Happy Gaming. No wars for the nonce.

Robilar, Lord of Dragons

Yes, Great Khan, everyone is in control of their own destinies, thus the images they portray are theirs to sculpt alone.

No need for more apologies, Mr. McDonald. Curosity comes in many forms and from many sources.

I'm sorry that there are no instant answers to your queries and concerns. But my messengers are galloping hurridly to their objectives even as we speak, so something should soon be known by all.

Tarry not upon the road, lest the Night Hags have their way with you! ; )

El Raja Key

Yes, Great Khan. 'Tis my e-mail and yes, receive a message I did. But yet, forsooth, I cannot answer your queries, but crypticness I can give in barrelfuls. My messengers will clarify all.

Robilar

Sounds imflammatory. You wouldn't be trying to start an argument here with one of our board members, would you?
If so, take that to the Abyss where such discussions are held. Kinda like an arena for those who can't get along otherwise, as well as for Guinness drinkers, but beware the Demonlord of Puns who has a realm therein!
I myself preach peace, but there are some who just can't follow that route, that I am well aware of.

Best of Luck!

Rob--Site Admin.

These probably make as much sense reading them here out of context as they do in context? That is some strange babble. I cannot think of a way to analyse those posts that would not get personal so I will leave it - but boy, do I want to discuss what kind of person posts like that.

On the posting of private e-mails - no other info needed. That is wrong and unprofessional, doesn't matter who does it or for what reason.

Theuderic

First Post
Rob likes to speak in riddles doens't he. I felt the same way, I couldn't make sense of it except for the parts that were obviously well, you know.

Last edited:

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Just my opinion:

I think, because they had a relationship that was terminated, and because Necromancer knows that they were originally going to adapt Rob's work...

They should change the name of their product. It doesn't matter if it's public domain, or what. They did spend a lot of time plugging RJK in the past, and it could lead to confusion.

It's a simple solution, really.

JeffB

Legend
Yikes, after reading Rob's posts over on his boards, all I can say is my opinion of the man at least from a professional standpoint has been substantially lowered.

I thought the whole thing was in quite poor taste.

Think I'll be skipping anything done by him in the future (unless it's a collaboration with Gary ala Greyhack or whatever it is).

Maybe I'm missing the reason for the outrage here?

Should everyone just sit around on their hands for YEARS waiting for Rob to do this project because he publicly said he wanted to at one time?

"No - I called Superman. That's not fair - boo hoo"

Let's see capitalism in action

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I think BigFreakinGoblinoid hit the big freakin nail right on the head.

Further, after reading the entire content of the three links posted above, the party who stands out as consistently professional is Clark. And I'm not sure why Mr. Kuntz thought it was a good idea to air this in public.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Think you are missing a few areas.

I personally don't think people should be judged on so-called "professionalism". Just because somebody chooses not to comment on private dealings between two parties doesn't always mean that it is improper behavior--it's not like this was truly a private thing or an NDA was signed--it's not personal facts or the like. In fact, people sometimes commend whistleblowers.

Or, put in on the other foot with an example. Gygax has commented publically about his dealings with TSR. Lorraine Williams has rarely ever commented about Gary's dealings at all. Does that make HER a better person because she didn't speak out about their conflcit where Gary did? Public opinion woild say otherwise. Let's not be hypocritical here. If some gamer revealed private correspondance between him and Hasboro I'd bet a different tune would be spewed here.

The only reason you guys are complaining is you think the Necromancer has better products and/or is a better writter, or one person may be (to our eyes) kinder than the other.

Here's where I think Rob has issues:

It's sure Necromancer can use "City of Brass" as the name. However, why is the name so important? It probably wouldn't matter except for the following--the term "City of Brass" is legendary in (A)D&D Lore. It has been mentioned since the beginning, it has been there for a while, etc. Heck, it was hinted on the cover of the book. Basically, the name is being used because City of Brass is part of AD&D Lore, and Necromancer wants to have adventures with "1st Edition Feel". Saying they are doing the "City of Brass" harkens to those gamers wanting to see the land of the Efreet.

But, in my opinion, it isn't cool for them to use the name City of Brass after having seen and having a prior relationship with Rob. Heck, they even published a prelude written by Rob. If they are doing work independently, it shouldn't be a problem.

But, I think in terms of ETHICS, they should CHANGE THE NAME, at least to show that they are doing a seperate work. And considering that they both plugged Rob, and that Rob's truly comes from the roots of the AD&D/Greyhawk campaign. Since there could be some confusion, I think it's only fair for Necromancer to consider a name change. I dunno if this will happen--wanna bet they think it will sell better if named "City of Brass" than without? But I think it is only the right thing to do in this particular situation.

Just think about that.

Note that I am not commenting on either person personally...I just think that in this situation, Rob does have a legitimate beef, and Necromancer should understand that fact.

Lucifer

First Post
Re: Think you are missing a few areas.

JohnRTroy said:
I personally don't think people should be judged on so-called "professionalism". Just because somebody chooses not to comment on private dealings between two parties doesn't always mean that it is improper behavior--it's not like this was truly a private thing or an NDA was signed--it's not personal facts or the like. In fact, people sometimes commend whistleblowers.

I think a person should be judged on professionalism. And Mr Kuntz has shown zero professionalism concerning this. If he had a "beef" with it, it should be handled in private between all concerned parties, not aired in public by posting private emails he had with anyone. I get the insinuations he is attempting to imply, and frankly think he is reaching at straws. Clark Peterson has already indicated the City of Brass will not contain anything Rob has done in the past or talked about with Clark. That should be the end of it.

And Gene isn't a potential "whistleblower" as you put it. Search around for some of his other posts here or anywhere, he seems to be always near controversy, similar to Mr Kuntz.

Or, put in on the other foot with an example. Gygax has commented publically about his dealings with TSR. Lorraine Williams has rarely ever commented about Gary's dealings at all. Does that make HER a better person because she didn't speak out about their conflcit where Gary did? Public opinion woild say otherwise. Let's not be hypocritical here. If some gamer revealed private correspondance between him and Hasboro I'd bet a different tune would be spewed here.
[/b]

Not hypocritical at all. Lorraine Williams ran TSR into the ground. Gary Gygax is not the only one to speak out on this. It is fairly well known. It doesn't make her a better person, but then again, all we know from Gygax is what he has told us.

The only reason you guys are complaining is you think the Necromancer has better products and/or is a better writter, or one person may be (to our eyes) kinder than the other.
[/b]

What has Rob produced lately? The Maze series seemed to be the poorest received Necromancer Games products to date. The reviews are average or worse (not just here but other review boards as well).

And yes, I think Necromancer Games will do a better job. Rob seems reluctant to embrace third edition which is no big deal, but it comes through in his writing. He has even stated he doesn't like third edition on his boards. Again, no big deal, but why bother writing for a game system you hate? An example of a poorly done d20 product where it clearly shows that the writer's either don't care or don't know 3e? Check Chaosium's Dragon Lords of Melnibone. The same applies to the Maze series.

Here's where I think Rob has issues:

It's sure Necromancer can use "City of Brass" as the name. However, why is the name so important? It probably wouldn't matter except for the following--the term "City of Brass" is legendary in (A)D&D Lore. It has been mentioned since the beginning, it has been there for a while, etc. Heck, it was hinted on the cover of the book. Basically, the name is being used because City of Brass is part of AD&D Lore, and Necromancer wants to have adventures with "1st Edition Feel". Saying they are doing the "City of Brass" harkens to those gamers wanting to see the land of the Efreet.

You are right. City of Brass does harken back to the old days of D&D. Right along with "First Edition feel." And I am sure that that is why Necromancer Games wanted to do City of Brass to begin with, because it is first edition AD&D.

But, in my opinion, it isn't cool for them to use the name City of Brass after having seen and having a prior relationship with Rob. Heck, they even published a prelude written by Rob. If they are doing work independently, it shouldn't be a problem.

Why? It happens all the time with companies (not just game companies either). A person is brought on board to do a project, they drop the ball or leave, and the project continues. Look at bands for example. Musicians come and go. They are replaced. The band doesn't change the name. It works along the same lines. Look at software developers. They come and go as well. The project continues. A software company doesn't rename the product just because the designer or developer leaves or is fired.

But, I think in terms of ETHICS, they should CHANGE THE NAME, at least to show that they are doing a seperate work. And considering that they both plugged Rob, and that Rob's truly comes from the roots of the AD&D/Greyhawk campaign. Since there could be some confusion, I think it's only fair for Necromancer to consider a name change. I dunno if this will happen--wanna bet they think it will sell better if named "City of Brass" than without? But I think it is only the right thing to do in this particular situation.

In all honesty, I don't believe there will be two Citys of Brass. I don't think Rob will ever produce his. Look how long it has taken him to get Maze 4 out. (I don't think we will ever see Rob's book from Troll Lords either. They advertised it at the beginning of this year, and it still isn't out yet.)

And I don't think they should change the name. What better to invoke that First Edition feel than the name City of Brass? The book is about the City of Brass, why not call it that. Now if they could only get Dave Trampier to do the cover.

JeffB

Legend
I was going to address John's post, but Lucifer did a great job. I'd just like to add this:

It boils down to the fact that depsite controversey I was ready to buy Robs if I thought it would be good (see my earlier post) as well as Necro's. Now after seeing the ( IMO ) immature and unprofessional way Rob handled himself on his own boards regarding the matter, I have no interest in putting any money in his pocket..good product or not.

If this is indeed an "ethics" issue (and that is a personal judgement everyone will have to make for themselves), don't forget that Ethics work both ways.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads