Two feats inspired by LOtR

DMaple

First Post
I argee with Marshall on this what's the point in these feats, what was done in the film is covered by Rapid Shot anyway.

These feats if they stack with Rapid Shot or can be used with every iterrative attack will quickly become unbalancing.

Red Baron

First Post
Here's one we use in my game. Seems to work just fine.

REFLEX SHOT [General]
Prerequisites: Dex 15+, BAB +6, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot.
Benefits: You can make an extra ranged attack when taking the standard or partial attack action. You suffer a –5 penalty to each attack when doing so, however.

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Ok, thanks for all your comments guys. Here are revised versions of the two feats along with the reasoning:

Twin Shot

Prerequiste: Base attack bonus +4, Dexterity 15+

Benefit: This feat allows a character to fire two arrows from a bow at the same time. The character makes only one attack roll which applies to both arrows and both arrows are aimed at the same target. If the attack roll is successful then the attacker gets to make to damage rolls for the attack. The use of this feat modify's the attack roll by -4. This feat is a standard action and thus can be used with every attack for the archer however the attack modifier is cumulative so if used as part of the full attack option the modifier for a second attack is -8, a third -12 and so on.

Improved Twin Shot

Prerequiste: Base attack bonus +8, Dexterity 15+, Twin Shot

Benefit: This feat is exactly the same at Twin Shot except that the attacker makes two separate attack rolls and can aim the attacks at different targets if required. Both targets must be with 5-ft of one another.

I've changed Twin Shot so that it can be used with multiple attacks, however the cumulative attack modifier should stop abuse of this, although limiting the feat to a standard action only seems ok.

I've left it as one attack roll for Twin Shot because the two arrows are aimed as one shot, both hit or both miss.

Marshall, DMaple, the point is Rapid Shot requires a full attack option Twin Shot doesn't. IIRC in the film Legolas fires two arrows from his bow in Moria at an orc when they are battling the Cave Troll.

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Wolfspider

I've been a lurker over on the Middle Earth conversion for ages now and really like the work being done there. My only gripe is that there is no website where all this information can be presented (although it could get in copyright issues I suppose if one did exist!). Keep up the good work.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Actually, Morrus has offered to host just such a website here at ENWorld! :D

We're all very much excited, as you can imagine.

As for legal problems...well, let's just pray we keep far away from those.... :eek:

Aaron2

Explorer
I agree to disagree

I third Marshal's post. If Rapid Shot allows you to take two shots, what difference does it make if you are firing them at the same time or one right after another? Mechanically, they are the same thing, why force some guy to take a feat when the difference is just description?

There was a pretty long and involved thread on r.g.f.d about how all of Legolas's actions can easily be described with the base rules for D&D.

Aaron

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Originally posted by Aaron2
I third Marshal's post. If Rapid Shot allows you to take two shots, what difference does it make if you are firing them at the same time or one right after another? Mechanically, they are the same thing, why force some guy to take a feat when the difference is just description?

Rapid Shot requires a full attack option, Twin Shot doesn't.

Originally posted by Aaron2
There was a pretty long and involved thread on r.g.f.d about how all of Legolas's actions can easily be described with the base rules for D&D.

I don't suppose you could post a link to the thread as I'd like to read it?

DMaple

First Post
As written in the first post Twin Shot would require a Full Attack action since you make more than one attack. If you want to make more than one attack then you have to take a Full Attack action.

The feat doesn't have anything special rule written into it about it being a normal attack action, or not requiring a Full attack action.

Lord Vangarel

First Post
The second version corrects this by stating that Twin Shot is a standard action and can therefore be used either as an attack and move/something else, or as part of full attack action. However, if used more than once in the round the penalty is cumulative for each successive use.

DMaple

First Post
Personally I'm not happy with a feat that breaks one of the main rules in 3E that you only get one attack unless you do a Full Attack Action.

Although I suppose this could be seen as Shuriken, ie. you are making one attack, but two attack rolls.

IE: Sneak attack, Ranger damage bonus, etc should only add to the first of the two arrows.

Otherwise it is two unbalanced and rule-breaking IMHO.

Remove ads