• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two Headed Nickel

Chimera

First Post
I threw some coins into the change deal in my car today and noticed that one of them was one of the new Nickels with the Lewis & Clark keelboat on the back. So I pulled out the change in there, sorted out the non-nickels and looked for the keelboat nickel. Didn't see it, so I flipped over the lot of them.

Um, ok, I thought I flipped that one over. Flip.

Wait a minute... flip.

flip, flip, flip.

WTF???

A double headed nickel. 1998 d on one side, 1997 d on the other.

Is this some trick novelty nickel that someone spent?

Sure looks real enough, but I can't see how something like that could possibly be made unless it was a gag item.

Anyone know what's up with this?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Ocassionally a piece of change is struck as an error. The U.S. Mint tries to destroy all error coins, but misses some of them. Hold on to it, it may be worth something in about 5-10 years.

tarchon

First Post
If the dates are different, it's probably a novelty piece. One way to make them is to grind down the reverse of two nickels and then bond them together.
Now a three-headed nickel, that would be something.

Jonny Nexus

First Post
tarchon said:
If the dates are different, it's probably a novelty piece. One way to make them is to grind down the reverse of two nickels and then bond them together.
Now a three-headed nickel, that would be something.

Presumably it's made for winning coin tosses (i.e. like a loaded dice).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads